Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
tjk
Water Boy

Member Number: 18237
Default Ben Roethlesberger's 2010 performance

Ben has had a very good season, just falling short of the golden ring. The Steelers have to learn from the lessons that this loss has to offer. It has been heart breaking to come so close and just fall short. If they analyze the QB issues and adapt then the chances will be even better in 2011. My final conclusions about 2010 are still being formulated and I am leaning toward the opinion that Arians must go as a compelling first step to fix Ben's flaws.

First of all I think Ben's relationship to Arians is too close. This is just my opinion from afar. I could certainly be wrong. Organizational authority must always flow from the coaching staff downward to the players. This is not to say that a player should not have input in selected situations. I was disturbed last year when the newspapers reported that Arians job was in jeopardy and that Ben interceded for Arians to Coach Tomlin to plead for Arians to be retained. To me this is a clear violation of the command structure unless Tomlin actively solicited Ben's opinion before making his decision. I can certainly understand Tomlin asking for Ben's opinion about Arian's strengths and weaknesses. I cannot see Tomlin asking for Ben's opinion about whether Arians should be retained or fired. That is Tomlin's decision alone. Ben also has a right to inform Tomlin of anything that concerns him about all aspects of the offense but once Tomlin has gathered all information then the decision should then be made by him alone.The final decision then would then be passed down to the team.

The way the event was reported in the papers suggested that Ben was an integral part of the final decision. If Tomlin allowed Ben to be a part of the decision making process about Arians rather than a part of the data gathering process then a clear boundary of authority was breeched. Coaches make executive decisions and players play. That's it. Coaches never should allow a player have too much input because it is detrimental to the team. If this is actually what happened then it is an indication that Ben and Arians are too close and that Tomlin did not assert his authority to prevent this from happening. For Tomlin, to allow a player into the inner sanctum to share in a major decision is not good. Tomlin's control must never be shared with a player. It is Tomlin's job alone to decide what the best interest for the team is.

Many times in 2009 and 2010 I saw events that made me wonder. There were times with 3rd down on the 30 yard line within striking distance. The coaching orders in that situation to Ben should be that no matter what happens he should not lose yardage on the third down play. In his attempt to gain a 1st down, a loss of yardage would result in an lost opportunity to kick a field goal. More than once Ben would take a sack that would remove the chance for a field goal. Points lost dripping through the fingertips. Was this Ben not following orders? Was this Ben trying to follow orders but failing to do so with the best of intentions? Was this the coaching staff picking the wrong play in the particular situation to achieve the desired result? Was this the coaching staff not informing Ben of their explicit strategy in said situation? It happened way more than once, so this leads to 2 likely possibilities in the above 4 scenarios. Either Ben was unaware of any such strategy or he was aware and ignored instructions repeatedly! Either way it would call for an executive decision by Tomlin to prevent it from recurring.

Was the decision to retain Arians at the end of the 2009 season done in such a fashion that it led to problems in the 2010 season? Is Ben playing quarterback without adequate job performance analysis because Ben and Arians have been allowed to become too close? Objectivity can certainly be lost when a coach and player become too close. I hope Mike Tomlin is on top of this question as he moves forward to the 2011 season.

Respectfully submitted,

TJK
tjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,170 Times in 470 Posts
Default Re: Ben Roethlesberger's 2010 performance

Do we really need another thread?
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
Do we really need another thread?
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Arians play calling looks better with a good OL and a better set of wieouts. Ours is ok, just young.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

I thought Ben regressed slightly this year. His completion percentage seemed to be lower. I've seen Ben be really sharp. I never saw that this season. Extra work is needed between him and his new young and inexperienced receiving corps.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote