Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
SteelCityScotty
Water Boy

Member Number: 18222
Default O-Line Questions

A few questions about the offensive line...

- Do Starks and Colon make full recoveries and return to their starting roles as tackles next season? Are they both still long-term pieces of the Steelers puzzle? Does their return mean Flozell is released and Scott returns to the bench?

- Does Trai Essex ever regain his starting status on the team? Or has Ramon Foster passed him by for good?

- Has Doug Legursky earned himself starting status, potentially as a guard next season?

- Does Chris Kemoeatu have anything to worry about? Or is his job secure?

- Is there any chance we can draft Mike Pouncey to play alongside his brother or will he be long-gone by pick 31? If he is, do we still take a lineman with that pick or focus on the secondary?

I know some of these questions will obviously be answered as the offseason progresses and some might come down to next year's training camp. I just wanted to see what people thought at this point in time.
SteelCityScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659
Default Re: O-Line Questions

Here's my take:

- Do Starks and Colon make full recoveries and return to their starting roles as tackles next season? Great question. I think one of them will not return (most likely Colon)Are they both still long-term pieces of the Steelers puzzle? Does their return mean Flozell is released and Scott returns to the bench? Scott is a backup so I would think he plays that part next year. Flozell will be back. I would worry if I were Hills.

- Does Trai Essex ever regain his starting status on the team? NoOr has Ramon Foster passed him by for good? Maybe, but see Legursky below.

- Has Doug Legursky earned himself starting status, potentially as a guard next season? I defnitely think he starts at right guard.

- Does Chris Kemoeatu have anything to worry about? Or is his job secure? His job is secure. He is good and i don't understand why people think he's that bad.

- Is there any chance we can draft Mike Pouncey to play alongside his brother or will he be long-gone by pick 31? He won't be on this team next year. I like him, but these storylines almost never pan out on draft day.If he is, do we still take a lineman with that pick or focus on the secondary? I would prefer they go O-line with the 31st pick, but have full faith in any choice they make. Remember, there were many who thought Timmons was a bust, Sanders and Brown were wasted picks and Heath Miller was damaged goods. There's a reason the FO gets paid to make these decisions and we don't.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
OldSchoolSteelersFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 15327

I think Kemo has great talent, but he makes ridiculously stupid plays during the game that kill the momentum....the spear in the end-zone vs the Ravens, for one. He needs to use his head and be a team player, instead of doing whatever makes him feel better and hurting the team.
I feel that Flozell's acquisition was one of the better ones we could have made, given that he became a road-grader for the run game. I didn't see the number of penalties that he had in Dallas. Ben definitely made it known that he wanted to win the Superbowl for Flozell, so I think that spoke volumes for what he meant to the team.
I'd like to see them get a good OL in the first round, but if the best prospects are gone by then, go for the best DB. They can pick up a good OL in the 2nd round as well.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

I think Starks and Colon will both be back, I think Colon is in our long term plans, I think we will draft a replacement for Starks someday soon but hopefully not this upcoming draft.

I dont think we'll get Mike Pouncey, and I certainly hope we don't take him unless we know we can also secure a top-rated CB. I wouldn't mind him, and obviously playing with his brother could only be a good thing, but I think we can manage with a Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Foster/Legursky/Colon-Colon/Adams Oline...obviously it could be better but I dont think its a first round-worthy need, at least in our case. If we can obtain two first rounders or an early second round pick, I would not be opposed to taking Pouncey first and a CB second, but we can't afford to wait past the mid-second round to draft a CB in my opinion, at least if we want another chance at a SB run.

Trai Essex is done, he can be a backup but he has no place as a starter.

Legursky looks okay, quite honestly I forget why we replaced him wiht Foster in the first place, I dont think he ever got hurt and I dont think he ever really played that badly. He may start over Foster (maybe even Kemo who didnt look good at times this year) next season.

Personally, next season I would like to see a starting lineup of Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Colon-Adams
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
SteelCityScotty
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Personally, next season I would like to see a starting lineup of Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Colon-Adams
I agree that despite all the talk about how bad our line was this year, we don't really NEED to add anyone this offseason.

If we can get a great lineman in the draft, I'll gladly take him, but a big part of this year's struggles was the injuries to Colon and Starks.

We can likely assemble a nice line next year using five of the following:

- Willie Colon
- Max Starks
- Maurkice Pouncey
- Chris Kemoeatu
- Flozell Adams
- Ramon Foster
- Doug Legursky

And we could still have Scott and Essex for depth.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:06 AM   #6
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

I don't think we really need any O-line. If our guys are healthy, we will be a threat. Pouncy not in the SB was huge. On that fumble by Mendy, Legursky pulled and completely missed his block (the TE, Johnson missed his, too). On the pick-6 by Ben, Kemoeatu was man-handled by Howard Green to get a hand on Ben's throw (that being said, Ben still threw it too late). Switching guys around all season led to major problems, but somehow, our Steelers almost always came through.
bornaSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #7
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

You can never have enough offensive linemen. I think, at 31, we will draft either Pouncey (if he is still there) or Wisneiwski (if he is still there). I believe Colon and Starks will be back and Legursky has at least earned a shot to start at right guard. I know lots of folks want to draft a CB with our 1st round pick, but at that pick, we will be reaching for a 2nd round talent there. OL is the way to go at 31 if a quality layer is available. IMO.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
SteelCityScotty
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
You can never have enough offensive linemen. I think, at 31, we will draft either Pouncey (if he is still there) or Wisneiwski (if he is still there). I believe Colon and Starks will be back and Legursky has at least earned a shot to start at right guard. I know lots of folks want to draft a CB with our 1st round pick, but at that pick, we will be reaching for a 2nd round talent there. OL is the way to go at 31 if a quality layer is available. IMO.
Those are the two linemen I am most interested in as well. Hopefully, the Steelers agree and at least one of those guys is available at pick 31.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #9
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityScotty View Post
A few questions about the offensive line...

- Do Starks and Colon make full recoveries and return to their starting roles as tackles next season?
Yes Unfortunately...Colon may try to leave but whoever signs him will want him to play guard

Quote:
Are they both still long-term pieces of the Steelers puzzle? Does their return mean Flozell is released and Scott returns to the bench?
I'm hoping the FO will draft suitable replacements, but we know how that always works out, Flozell will be back as insurance and Scott goes to the bench

Quote:
- Does Trai Essex ever regain his starting status on the team? Or has Ramon Foster passed him by for good?
Essex is good in Spots..but he's no starter...I think Foster is the Starting Guard unless the Steelers draft a rookie to beat him out

Quote:
- Has Doug Legursky earned himself starting status, potentially as a guard next season?
Nah, that's Ramon's Job to lose

Quote:
-- Does Chris Kemoeatu have anything to worry about? Or is his job secure?
I wish, I've never been a fan of "Joe Rockhead"...and watching him get stood up pushed back and thrown aside by a jets reject, and watching the same thing happen when they played the Bills this year made me less of a fan, Don't get me started on the Ravens game....But he'll keep his job

Quote:
- Is there any chance we can draft Mike Pouncey to play alongside his brother or will he be long-gone by pick 31? If he is, do we still take a lineman with that pick or focus on the secondary?
I would love to see us take Brandon Harris(CB) #1 then get an O-Lineman then Safety in that Order....Colbert pisses me off sometimes...so we may have 3 TE's in the first 3 rounds
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

--will be interesting to see if Colon will be back. Injury + contract status combo could affect this surely

--Starks should be back. I hope so, we need him next year

--Legursky will be a nice fit next year, if not starting somewhere, hugely solid back up

--Kemo's job is secure. Coaching staff needs to work with him in camp on keeping his temper in check, so there's no costly penalties

--I think the fans are more interested in a "Pouncey brother" than the F.O. is. Our secondary situation is so bad i don't see how you don't address that with the 1st chance you get
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote