Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Bouchette On Sports Talk Radio - Woodley Potential FA Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
Woodley aint going anywhere. He's a Steeler, not a money grubber like some of the loud mouths that were on this team in the past. He'll provide a discount to resign with the team. Smith will be back too, but as a valuable backup. Suisham will be back ... I have no clue where people are thinking he's leaving ... he appears to have loyalty to the team that picked him off his couch (during a low point in his life) and it's been written that he is well liked in the locker room and by the coaches. Colon, I predict, will not be back. I really like Willie, but 36% of NFL players never make it back on the field after an Achilles injury and the remaining 64% don't play to the same level prior to injury.

He definitely likes being a Steeler but be careful what you say. As much as we don't like to accept it, both bigger money and players agents have HUGE influences on these decisions.
If Woodley is not franchised and is offered a bigger contract elsewhere, almost certainly he's going to take it.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,482 Times in 3,331 Posts

Quote:
Woodley aint going anywhere. He's a Steeler, not a money grubber like some of the loud mouths that were on this team in the past. He'll provide a discount to resign with the team. Smith will be back too, but as a valuable backup. Suisham will be back ... I have no clue where people are thinking he's leaving ... he appears to have loyalty to the team that picked him off his couch (during a low point in his life) and it's been written that he is well liked in the locker room and by the coaches. Colon, I predict, will not be back. I really like Willie, but 36% of NFL players never make it back on the field after an Achilles injury and the remaining 64% don't play to the same level prior to injury.
Woodley wants to get paid and made it clear in preseason he was not happy the terms of the 2010 CBA made it impossible to give him the signing bonus required to give him a new contract - nothing wrong with wanting to get paid - NFL contracts are not guaranteed and in the NFL every play can be your last - but he will stay because he can be franchised (not because he will leave milllions on the table in order to remain a Steeler)and maybe get paid in 2012 if there are some retirements that free up money (Ward, Farrior, A. Smith)

Suisham will be back if the Steelers want him back - he reverted to past form in the playoffs by misssing several kicks and at a minimum will face comepetition in camp

Sad to say i agree about Colon - achilles injury was the one that finally caused the Steelers to give up on Kendall Simmons
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #23
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Almost every player resigned by the Steelers has the option to take a larger payout with another team. Most of the guys the Steelers do attempt to retain, stay with the team. Don't get me wrong, Woodley will get much more money than his rookie contract that he's been working off. Of course he was frustrated that a new deal wasn't done and it was very obvious the Steelers could not do a realistic deal given the nature of the CBA ... a new deal under the terms of the CBA would have been insulting. Woodley hasn't pissed and moaned like Faneca, Porter and others who were facing contract issues. He's expressed his concerns like anyone would, but has also made it very clear he wants to stay. My guess is he is willing to be the 2nd highest paid LB on the team ... the question is how much of a difference is he willing to take between his contact and Harrison's?

I can think of only 3 big misses by the Steelers in not resigning great linebackers:
  1. Mike Merriweather
  2. Hardy Nickerson
  3. Mike Vrabel

It's been a while since they failed to keep someone who continued to be very good/great at that spot ... and only 3 times in the past 22 years. I didn't include Porter because Harrison obviously outplayed his predecessor and Porter's stock quickly dropped after that one good year he had in Miami.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #24
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts

Woodley my favorite player isnt going anywhere... during super bowl week he talked about how he wants to be mentioned with the steelers greats at linebacker, cant do that if you wearing a panther uniform.. .im pretty sure he said he grew up a steeler fan as well.. remember hes not an animal... he's a beast..

and sushiam, did well durin the regular season,

both post season misses weren't exactly chip shots, but that super bowl kick was nasty... but thats on the coaches just cause your in doors doesnt mean you can go from 45 yards to 53..

aaron smith should come back for cheap,( 3 out of 4 years hes been hurt) hes gotten paid even though hes hurt right? i think he owes pitt... plus they cut gibson for him,
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #25
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,482 Times in 3,331 Posts

Quote:
I can think of only 3 big misses by the Steelers in not resigning great linebackers:
  1. Mike Merriweather
  2. Hardy Nickerson
  3. Mike Vrabel
Add Chad Brown to that list - Steelers could not afford to keep Brown and Greg Lloyd -they signed Lloyd and Lloyd's career was done when he blew out his knee to start the 1996 season after getting his new contract

But Brown's wife made it clear in public comments once it was cklear Brown was not going to get a new contract that she hated living in Pittsburgh and he might have left anyway
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #26
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Add Chad Brown to that list - Steelers could not afford to keep Brown and Greg Lloyd -they signed Lloyd and Lloyd's career was done when he blew out his knee to start the 1996 season after getting his new contract

But Brown's wife made it clear in public comments once it was cklear Brown was not going to get a new contract that she hated living in Pittsburgh and he might have left anyway
I left Brown off the list because he wasn't necessarily lighting it up after he left the "Burgh. He also was starting to become injury prone (weak ankles if I remember right). He had a few decent years after he left, but I thought the Steelers had him during his best years. Lloyd wasn't just a knee, he developed staph infection. The Panthers signed him and he showed his career was truly over. Although Greg probably wasn't happy his career was over, he should feel lucky to be alive (from what the Steelers coaching staff were saying of his staph infection).
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #27
GameTime55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15914

Woodley is my guy. And I believe he wants to stay as well. I think it is pretty critical to keep him around. Address other areas of need thru the draft.....DB!

plus Id like to get his jersey.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #28
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Woodley wants to stay but if we dont pay alot of money he is gone. if we had to lose him i would rather franchise him then trade him for a top corner.
with that said i hope we can reach a deal because he is an important piece to our team. if he insisted to be paid as a top 3 OLB'er i would let him walk but hopefully he will stay at a fair price

Last edited by pete74; 02-09-2011 at 02:24 PM.
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #29
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

No way Woodley s leaving.

Jason Worilds was not drafted to replace him at all, ever, nor was he the back up plan. Its a rare breed that can contribute as a Steeler LB this soon. Timmons and Woodley are that bred. Worilds is not there, yet.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #30
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

dont ever say no way. i think we will find a way to keep him even its with the tag but there is always a chance. last year i said Holmes would be gone and this was before his suspension or latest trouble and everyone said no way. i was told i was nuts that i thought holmes would not be resigned but look what happened. if the front office feels someone will come in and play just as well they wont break the bank on him