Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default Reasons I think the Steelers go to SB XLVI

(pending there's a season of course)

1. An improved overall defense

The Steelers were number one against the run this past season and 12th against the pass. With a new incoming DB coach, look for him to address pass coverage and techniques. I believe this will be a heavy point of emphasis by Mike Tomlin. The pass coverage is the one thing that keeps Pittsburgh's defense from being virtually unbeatable. So look for Tomlin, the new DB coach, and LeBeau to formulate a plan to address this. Also, the average loss margin was only 7.75 in four losses (not including the SB). What does this mean? The Steelers don't get blown out. Which leads me to my next reason.

2. Ben Roethlisberger

No matter what score is, you're never out of a game as long as Ben is behind center. Not only does his 19 4th quarter comeback wins show this, his ability to escape pressure does as well. Two things I believe Ben will work on this offseason and be improved next year: accuracy and turnovers. Many times we'll see a WR wide open and Ben will either overshoot him or one hop it. I think Ben takes his WRs aside this year (especially the emerging Sanders and Brown) and work on accuracy and timing. A more accurate Ben Roethlisberger is a more dangerous one. Not only that, I believe turnovers will be a key emphasis for him. Sometimes you simply can't make the play, so protect the ball or throw it away and live to see another down.

3. Rashard Mendenhall

Mendy proved this year that he can not only break the long outside runs, he can find the holes up the middle and burst through them. The only thing I believe he has to work on is paying more attention to ball carrying. The way he holds the ball out while running is scary, so look for Mendy to take better care of the ball.

4. Sanders and Brown

These two showed during the season that they can step up and make the big play. They're only going to get better and become a bigger part of the offense. Hines won't get us 100 catches anymore, but on third down, he's money. And Mike Wallace will be even better next year (especially with a more accurate Ben).

5. Management

Kevin Colbert and the Rooneys will look at this team as a whole, realize how far it got despite all the injuries and off-the-field issues, and make the necessary adjustments to get this team back to the SB next year.

6. Mike Tomlin

Whatever you may think of him and whatever "questionable" calls he may make sometimes, the man is a winner. Period. He's 48-23 and has yet to have a losing season. He's already been to two SBs in four years. When this year started without Ben at the helm, everyone wondered how Tomlin would fare. Well, he got to the SB.

Out of all of these, the defense and Ben will be, in my opinion, the biggest reasons the Steelers go to next year's SB. You're never out of a game as long as you have both.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Steelerz4Life
Water Boy

Member Number: 18235
Default Re: Reasons I think the Steelers go to SB XLVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
(pending there's a season of course)

The Steelers were number one against the run this past season and 12th against the pass. With a new incoming DB coach, look for him to address pass coverage and techniques. I believe this will be a heavy point of emphasis by Mike Tomlin. The pass coverage is the one thing that keeps Pittsburgh's defense from being virtually unbeatable. So look for Tomlin, the new DB coach, and LeBeau to formulate a plan to address this. Also, the average loss margin was only 7.75 in four losses (not including the SB). What does this mean? The Steelers don't get blown out. Which leads me to my next reason.
I agree with this 100%. However, I also believe a close second the Steelers will be looking for is upgrading the offensive line.

Quote:
2. Ben Roethlisberger

No matter what score is, you're never out of a game as long as Ben is behind center. Not only does his 19 4th quarter comeback wins show this, his ability to escape pressure does as well. Two things I believe Ben will work on this offseason and be improved next year: accuracy and turnovers. Many times we'll see a WR wide open and Ben will either overshoot him or one hop it. I think Ben takes his WRs aside this year (especially the emerging Sanders and Brown) and work on accuracy and timing. A more accurate Ben Roethlisberger is a more dangerous one. Not only that, I believe turnovers will be a key emphasis for him. Sometimes you simply can't make the play, so protect the ball or throw it away and live to see another down.

Ben is what he is. I don't see anything changing.

Quote:
3. Rashard Mendenhall

Mendy proved this year that he can not only break the long outside runs, he can find the holes up the middle and burst through them. The only thing I believe he has to work on is paying more attention to ball carrying. The way he holds the ball out while running is scary, so look for Mendy to take better care of the ball.

Agree. I think with a healthier and improved offensive line, the Steelers will run the ball better and go back more to the run again.

Quote:
4. Sanders and Brown

These two showed during the season that they can step up and make the big play. They're only going to get better and become a bigger part of the offense. Hines won't get us 100 catches anymore, but on third down, he's money. And Mike Wallace will be even better next year (especially with a more accurate Ben).
They have proven they can step up and will be threats. I am more confident them than who is throwing the ball.

Quote:
5. Management

Kevin Colbert and the Rooneys will look at this team as a whole, realize how far it got despite all the injuries and off-the-field issues, and make the necessary adjustments to get this team back to the SB next year.
I would not be surprised to see management make a few changes on the staff. I think Arians is on the hot seat and if an improvement comes along, Arians will be gone.

Quote:
6. Mike Tomlin

Whatever you may think of him and whatever "questionable" calls he may make sometimes, the man is a winner. Period. He's 48-23 and has yet to have a losing season. He's already been to two SBs in four years. When this year started without Ben at the helm, everyone wondered how Tomlin would fare. Well, he got to the SB.
Tomlin has been great. He will bring this team to more Super Bowls for sure. He will find a way to get us #7, #8 and maybe even #9 before he's done.

Another thing, I really think the Steelers are gonna play next year really pissed off with something to prove. They know the NFL has it out for them with the way they went after our style of defense. The officiating in the Super Bowl was clearly in favor of Green Bay. I believe the Steelers think like I do in that they did not lose to a better team and it is going to carry with them all next year and they are going to take it out on everyone the play. They are gonna play pissed off and out to with something to prove and leave the impression of "how could have they lost to GB in XLV"?
Steelerz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

Another quality draft on the O Line like Pouncey and an OC willing to unleash Ben and be less predictable and I have all the confidence in the world we'll be back in the Superbowl many times in the next 5 years.

I still don't understand all the talk about Ben not being able to put up numbers, that's all he did in college where I got to see him light it up in a pass oriented offense.

Now while I have no desire to see our offense become a one dimensional pass attack, a one dimensional run attack is no good either. Its all about versatility and game planning. On the drive that Mendy fumbled and essentially blew our best chance at taking the lead and control of Superbowl XLV, I wanted to see Ben throwing it more instead of the ever predictable run. We took the game winning lead in XLIII on Ben's arm, why didn't we do it here? We were lucky enough to be able to close the gap on the previous TD drive by staying on the ground, but time was reminded of the Pats and Jets both lose their Superbowl chances by wasting time with the run, and in our case we actually fumbled it away.

At any rate its going to be rough rooting for this team if we still have Arians especially if he's still calling games the way he does.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,303 Times in 4,512 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Yeah, I've got to agree with all of your points. I have to believe that Ben is going to do his best to get even better this off-season. Mendenhall and the young receivers are still getting better! Wow, think about that.

If the coaches can fix the secondary and offensive line, we could be unstoppable.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Yeah, I've got to agree with all of your points. I have to believe that Ben is going to do his best to get even better this off-season. Mendenhall and the young receivers are still getting better! Wow, think about that.

If the coaches can fix the secondary and offensive line, we could be unstoppable.

Ohhhh the possibilities. A healthy O-line with a better secondary?

I know anyone can beat anyone, but imo, there are only three "elite" teams in the AFC: Steelers, Colts, Patriots. That's it. Our problem against both would be pass coverage. That's about it.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

We have added ZERO talent to the DB'S since Cowher.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Will require that we draft the best shutdown corner available to take the opposite side of the field from Ike away from opposing offenses, or pull one in free agency (not cost-effective nor likely).

Most of the descent to good QBs in the NFL right now, know to pick on McFadden and William Gay, right from their first possession. Based on their play, I am not sure if I even feel comfortable with them as Nickel or Dime backs. Against spread offenses like New England's or Green Bay's, that would still mean one or both of those two are on the field. Gay proved that he cannot even cover tight ends, when NE's Gronkowski left him spinning this season. McFadden is so terrible, the only coverage scheme we can use on his side of the field is to play a very soft, conservative zone to keep him from getting burned and giving up a REALLY HUGE play.

CB needs to be our #1 priority in the draft.

2. Ben Roethlisberger

Ben is fine, but if we bring in a new offensive coordinator, we need somebody that will put the reigns on Ben sometimes, and one who knows how to call an effective short-yardage, high-percentage passing game.

Ben always wants to go deep even when he has a shorter option underneath (like Miller or Mendy as an awesome checkdown), and unfortunately, he has an offensive coordinator right now that empowers this bad tendenecy like an oxycodone doctor and his addict patient.

A lot of Ben's mistakes are not due to his mechanics or physical skills, rather, his decision making.

3. Rashard Mendenhall

It is easy to start discussing Mendy's fumbling problems from his rookie year, and while he DOES have a bad tendency to carry the ball far from his body and with no 5 points of contact, keep in mind, he fumbled the ball like twice this season, on over 300 carries. Anybody remember that Bengals game a couple years back when Parker dropped the rock like 4 times?

Mendy is AWESOME on checkdowns and screens, and I hope if we get a new offensive coordinator, they use him in that capacity more, not Mewelde Moore. And I am talking about some REAL SCREENS, not that terrible WR bubble screen we always use that is a pick-6 just waiting to happen.

4. Sanders and Brown AND WALLACE

They had a LOT of drops this season, most of them costly, but as rookie/2nd year WRs, this is EXPECTED. In their first season, rookie WRs are having to think about running their routes ("one-step, two-step, turn right, turn left, go back upfield"), whereas guys like Ward are old pros and have their routes memorized, so they are focusing on reeling in the ball, instead of foot placement and whatnot.

What Sanders showed us is blazing speed close to Wallace's level, and a strong desire to fight for extra yards-- THAT is a Steelers receiver.

Brown, while he has not gotten as many chances (mostly due to his draft rank and nothing else, IMHO), he shows the same explosive playmaker potential once we get these guys fully up to speed.

5. Management

I am no Arians hater, but I can see that he is NOT the answer as our offensive playcaller. I still want him on our offensive staff-- he has a brilliant mind when it comes to passing games and designing plays-- he just does NOT know when to call them.

6. Mike Tomlin

No complaints or critique here. He is not perfect-- I get the impression he is like Cowher in many ways, a great motivator, but not the greatest when it comes to his X's and O'x. EIther way, he is almost the same age as some of his players, and we have to expect a learning curve. So far, Mike is ahead of that curve and will only get better.

7. Offensive Line

Easy to start bashing, but keep in mind how many guys we lost to injuries. I assume that to be a freak occurance. As it stands right now, I thinnk we have the personnel to start next season with a dominant offensive line: we have 3 viable starters at OT-- The Hotel, Colon, and Starks (who was apparently ready to play over a month ago, but we couldn't because he had already ben placed on IR), who can compete for the two starting positions. We have versatility since Hotel can play LT/RT, and Starks has played RT/LT as well. With a more-experienced Pouncey at C, and hopefully, Kemo has a better season (we realize he is a mediocre player that gets by with a strong work ethic, so we can expect an off-season every now and again from him but has overall been strong), we would be in good shape with this, I think:

Max Starks/The Hotel (LT), Kemo/Legursky (LG), Pouncey (C), Ramon Foster/Essex(RG), Colon/The Hotel (RT)

But....if, in addition to drawing a descent corner, we can grab Pouncey's younger brother, our Oline gets even better:

Max Starks/The Hotel (LT), Kemo/Legursky, Pouncey (C), Pouncey/Ramon Foster/Essex (RG), Colon/The Hotel (RT)

8. Defensive Line

After drafting a shutdown Cornerback, defensive line HAS TO BE OUR NEXT PRIORITY. We saw how long it took for Ziggy to get up to speed, and besides him, everybody else on that Dline is old enough to start drawing Social Security in a few years... If we DON'T start drafting their replacements NOW, we will be up the proverbial creek in a couple seasons when Big Snack, Eason, Kiesel, and Hoke finally hang up the cleats for good (Aaron Smith may be done now, has only made it through 1 of the last 4 seasons). And that defensive line, along with our LBer corps, is the BREAD and BUTTER of this franchise....

The Steelers seem to have a hard time avoiding "curses", so I am concerned about the "Superbowl Loser's" curse, but on paper, we should be in good shape for next year if we can re-sign Woodley and Taylor and address a couple other points of glaring concern.

Last edited by Riddle_Of_Steel; 02-09-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Riddle_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
That's guaranteed to change this draft.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
That's guaranteed to change this draft.
God I hope so! You just can't go into a season with McFadden and Gay as you're 2nd and 3rd corner again. There's a reason that the Cardinals let B.Mac go for a 5th round pick, you just don't do that with quality corners in this league.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post

tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote