Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899
Default Re: Steelers' receiver corps needs reinforcements

i still wanna see sweed get another chance. he's a great route runner that knows how to get open. can he catch? well. give him another chance, i still think he can, and the coaches obviously have faith in him by IRing him instead of cutting him after the injury.
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

WTF is thi sguy talking about?! Please no more BPA 1st and 2nd round picks. UNLESS it is so obvious that you couldn't pass but go CB and OL and call ot a day! Thats it!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #13
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

This writer's next article will be how we need reinforcements at LB and center.
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #14
Mr. Goosemahn
Water Boy

Member Number: 14421

I would say that I agree, to a certain extent. There's only so much you can do to improve the O-line, at the end of the day they'll always look bad with Ben behind them.

Our best option would be to draft Mike Pouncey and sign Baltimore's Marshal Yanda (an underappreciated, underrated pro-bowl caliber guard with position versatility) and have a line with these guys:

Starks - Mi. Pouncey - Ma. Pouncey - Yanda - Colon

As for CB, we don't need a rookie CB, we need a talented veteran CB. Champ Bailey would be my #1 target, as Asomugha is completely out of the question. Bailey is 33, but don't let his age fool you, he is still a great athlete and a superb CB. He's going to be good for two or three more years and that's it. He could transition to FS and be good for two or three more years too. Plus, he's got money already, he only wants to win a ring.

With those acquisitions, we'd be able to draft BPA, which is what we ultimately do, anyways. And we do need another WR. Ward is entering his last year, for sure. He's just a shell of what he used to be. Randle El and Battle could be cap casualties next season. Mike Wallace is the only good receiver we really have. Sanders and Brown are promising, but let's face it, neither played a starting CB on a consistent basis. Sanders played against nickel DB's (basically the equivalent of William Gay for other teams) and Brown played against #4 CB's (Anthony Madison). We've yet to see those guys perform against quality starters.

Sweed is still a big question mark. His career has been extremely disappointing so far, and there's a good chance it'll keep being one. About 1/3 of all NFL players who suffer an achilles tear wind up not playing football ever again, and those who do return very rarely return to pre-injury form. Sweed is entering his third year, but there is a legitimate chance he'll never become a good receiver.

If I had to choose anyone, it's be Pittsburgh (Panthers') WR Jonathan Baldwin. He's exactly what we need. Tall, physical, very athletic, and has a huge vertical jump. He'd be the perfect complement to Wallace. Look him up on youtube just to see what kind of monster he could be. Probably an early-mid second round pick right now though.
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
bubbletownwr88
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17882

We have way too many needs to take a WR in the first round if somehow Baldwin drops to us in round 2 i will die if they don't pick him
bubbletownwr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #16
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,054 Times in 502 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

While I do love our receiving corps, when Hines is gone it will be very one dimensional...we have three sub-6' speedsters, albeit three very good ones, but three of the same type of receiver nonetheless...while I do not believe there is any need to fret about talent between the Young Money crew, and the last thing I want to do is break them up or get rid of any of them, I do believe there may need to be a concern about getting a reliable tall receiver or physical possession receiver, just to mix things up a bit...

However, spending an early pick this year on one is not the way to go about this...Sweed would definitely be a big help if he learned to catch this offseason, but the fact that he basically faded into oblivion after his injury and was never heard from isn't a good sign...
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #17
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,775 Times in 3,241 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
While I do love our receiving corps, when Hines is gone it will be very one dimensional...we have three sub-6' speedsters, albeit three very good ones, but three of the same type of receiver nonetheless...while I do not believe there is any need to fret about talent between the Young Money crew, and the last thing I want to do is break them up or get rid of any of them, I do believe there may need to be a concern about getting a reliable tall receiver or physical possession receiver, just to mix things up a bit...

However, spending an early pick this year on one is not the way to go about this...Sweed would definitely be a big help if he learned to catch this offseason, but the fact that he basically faded into oblivion after his injury and was never heard from isn't a good sign...
really sucks about sweed getting injured. i hear he was having a good training camp until that happened.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #18
xli...
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17864

Wow.. WR is the only position that the Steelers don't need to work on
Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #19
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

for the Record, Ward's TD Catch was freaking Awesome. Lost in the loss was how great he played and how great that catch really was.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #20
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
for the Record, Ward's TD Catch was freaking Awesome. Lost in the loss was how great he played and how great that catch really was.
indeed it was.

and at a time that the loss of e. sanders turned out to be a much bigger blow than many of us realized, randle el came up big with a couple of huge plays.

if we woulda won the price of his entire contract woulda been well worth it.