Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #421
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Trade deadline is Feb 28th

I think Shero will make a move soon.....let the rumors begin

PA Parenteau of the New York Islanders. He has 13 goals and 19 assists in 51 games and a salary of just $600,000.

Ottawa right winger Alex Kovalev ($5 million). 11 goals, 12 assists in 47 games.

Florida left winger Cory Stillman ($3,533,333). Seven goals and 14 assists in 38 games.

Florida right winger Radek Dvorak ($1.7 million). Six goals and 13 assists in 43 games.

Florida left winger Chris Higgins ($1.6 million). Nine goals and 10 assists in 39 games.
Devin Setoguchi's name keeps coming up as well. I'd love to have him here. Same with Jason Arnott. I don't know what they're cap numbers are, but both (Arnott especially) are high on my list right now.

Kovalev is a bit pricey for the season he's having, if he were cheaper I'd go for it, but it could be a huge bust as well.

PA Parenteau would be good as well. I'd like him here.

Gonna be an interesting deadline for sure this year.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #422
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Awesome. Just what the Pens need right now.

Quote:
Report: Penguins' Cooke gets 4-game ban
Wednesday, 02.09.2011 / 1:02 PM / News
NHL.com
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=552098

Matt Cooke of the Pittsburgh Penguins was suspended four games by the NHL on Wednesday for hitting Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Fedor Tyutin from behind Tuesday night, according to Nick Kypreos of Rogers Sportsnet.

With 5:22 remaining in the first period and the Jackets leading the Penguins 1-0 at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, Tyutin skated deep into his own zone to retrieve a dump-in. With his back turned near the boards, Tyutin absorbed a blind-side hit by Cooke.

Cooke received a five-minute major penalty for charging and an additional five minutes for his fight with Jackets forward Derrick Brassard that followed the hit. Tyutin was uninjured.
That means he'll be out for the Kings, Islanders, Rangers and Avalanche.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #423
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

The plot thickens

Rossi said Sid is with his family at an undisclosed warm climate location.

Quote:
He is with family at an undisclosed warm-weather location, where he is continuing what the Penguins have described as “functional rehab” that includes light exercises. He has not been cleared for workouts

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_722003.html
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #424
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Damn, I was hoping this...

Quote:
Penguins Re-Assign Forwards Tangradi, Wallace
Wednesday, 02.09.2011 / 5:00 PM / News
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=552158

The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-assigned forwards Eric Tangradi and Tim Wallace to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League, it was announced by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Tangradi has appeared in 13 games for Pittsburgh this season, posting two points (1G-1A). Wallace played the past two games with the Penguins.
meant a player or two (like Kunitz and Asham) were healthy and coming back for the game tonight. Then I read this now...

Quote:
Penguins Recall Four Players
Thursday, 02.10.2011 / 9:00 AM / News
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled four players from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League, it was announced by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The four players recalled are forwards Ryan Craig, Nick Johnson, Brett Sterling and Joe Vitale.

Johnson, 25, leads WBS with 20 goals while placing second (tied) with 39 points in 48 games. He also has a team-high 10 power-play goals.

Sterling, 26, is also tied for second in scoring on WBS with 39 points through 46 contests. He’s posted 18 goals, 21 assists, six power-play goals and a plus-12 rating.

Craig, 29, ranks fourth on WBS with 33 points on 13 goals and 20 assists in 49 games.

Vitale, 25, has appeared in 50 games this season for WBS, recording eight goals, 27 points, a plus-12 rating and two shorthanded tallies.

Right now, I'm not sure if I care if they win or lose these next 4-5 games. Just as long as no one else gets injured/suspended. It's like they're running a forwards M.A.S.H clinic.

F Matt Cooke - 4 game suspension
F Arron Asham, upper body (day-to-day)
F Mike Comrie, injured reserve/hip (indefinitely)
C Sidney Crosby, injured reserve/mild concussion (indefinitely)
F Chris Kunitz, lower body (day-to-day)
F Mark Letestu, lower body (4-6 weeks)
C Evgeni Malkin, torn ACL & MCL (indefinitely)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #425
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Sid is back in Pittsburgh now...here's some updates from his interview today:

Quote:
Sidney Crosby spoke with the media in the locker room moments ago. Here is the takeaway from what the captain had to say:
  • He left town to get away from hockey and the everyday questions about his health. and see his parents.
  • He's getting better, but it's just slow. Everything is improving, but at a slow rate.
  • There is no timetable on a return. "It's impossible to gage or put a number."
  • He's expecting to play this year, but realizes there's no way to be sure
For full details on Crosby's condition, click here.
On Kunitz and Geno:

Quote:
Crosby wasn't the only injury update of the day. Head coach Dan Bylsma had some news on Evgeni Malkin and Chris Kunitz.

"I would say say (Kunitz) is not quite day-to-day in where he's at," Bylsma said. "He has a lower-body injury and he's in, I would say, a 4-to-6 day time period, hopefully.

"(Malkin) this morning, he had successful surgery."
Expected line combos for the game tonight:

Quote:
Dupuis-Staal-Kennedy
Rupp-Talbot-Conner
Craig-Vitale-Adams
Sterling-Jeffrey-N.Johnson/Godard
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home
Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #426
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins top Kings 2-1 in OT
Thursday, 02.10.2011 / 9:55 PM
Alan Robinson - NHL.com Correspondent
http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2010020818

PITTSBURGH -- Jordan Staal is being counted upon to pick up the Pittsburgh Penguins' offense with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin out. This was a good start.

Staal, denied in the closing seconds of regulation, scored with 18.4 seconds left in overtime and the Penguins also got a goal from one of their minor-league callups to beat the Los Angeles Kings 2-1 on Thursday night.

Shortly after Penguins coach Dan Bylsma called a timeout with a weary crew on the ice, Kings defenseman Jack Johnson turned the puck over the blue line to start a 2-on-1 rush the other way. Staal's wrist shot clipped goalie Jonathan Quick's right jersey sleeve and flew into the net.

Staal's fourth goal and first in 10 games ended a goaltending duel between Quick and Marc-Andre Fleury, each of whom made a series of excellent saves in the interconference matchup. Fleury made 32 saves and Quick 24. Los Angeles has five wins and two overtime losses in its last seven games.

On the day Malkin underwent surgery to repair two torn knee ligaments and Crosby said there's no timetable for his return from a concussion – he hopes only it's this season – Pittsburgh was understandably desperate for goals after scoring one in two games. Forwards Chris Kunitz and Mark Letestu also are out, and Matt Cooke served the first game of his four-game suspension for his hit from behind against Columbus defenseman Fedor Tyutin on Tuesday.

Pittsburgh, long known for offense, had two active players with as many as 10 goals. Pascal Dupuis and Tyler Kennedy have 10 each.

The Penguins are so depleted by injuries -- they're without the players who've scored 85 of their 163 goals – they dressed all four forwards who were recalled earlier in the day from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AHL) -- and got their first goal from one of them.

Brett Sterling, who shared a crowded van with those three teammates during the four-hour drive, wasted little time scoring Pittsburgh's first goal. Sterling jumped on Dustin Jeffrey's strong pass from the corner and snapped a wrist shot while skating down the slot, beating Quick to the glove side just 6:53 into the game. It was his third NHL goal and first for Pittsburgh.

Jeffrey, also called up after the injuries began and playing his 13th game of the season, left in the second period with a lower body injury.

Shortly before Sterling scored, Penguins defenseman Zbynek Michalek protected the side of the net to stop Justin Williams' stuff-in attempt with Fleury at the opposite side of the crease.

The Kings, playing the fourth game of a 10-game road trip, tied it at 17:17 on Jarret Stoll's 15th goal. Stoll settled down a deflected pass, steered it by Michalek in the left circle and beat Fleury between the pads.

Pittsburgh held Los Angeles to two shots during a scoreless second period.

Kings defenseman Rob Scuderi played in Pittsburgh for the first time since winning the Stanley Cup with the Penguins in 2009. Scuderi was given a loud ovation following a video tribute early in the game.

Scuderi was best known in Pittsburgh for stretching across the crease to block two shots by Detroit's Johan Franzen in Game 6 of the 2009 finals. He made a similar save against Staal in the final seconds of regulation, sending the game to overtime. Los Angeles is 7-3 in overtime, Pittsburgh is 7-4.

Bylsma joined Eddie Johnston and Michel Therrien as the only Penguins coaches with 100 victories.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a great game, and a huge win for the Pens...who play tomorrow night in Long Island. Really sucks that Jefferey got knocked out of the game though. Forwards are just dropping like flies right now. Hope it's nothing serious and he's back soon...as he was centering the 2nd line.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #427
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Man, this Islanders game went to shit early and just kept getting uglier. Pens have 5 players on the bench right now I think? Scores 8-3 Islanders.

Vitale fighting as I'm typing this out lol.

Only thing I'm hoping for now is no injuries and no suspensions at the end of the game.

Johnson fought again tonight...will definitely be posting videos as they become available. There will be a bunch of them lol.

*Edit* 9-3 Islanders. Johnson's having the worst game of the season.

4 players on the bench for the Isles and 3 for the Pens.

Craig (Pens call up) is looking for a fight right now and is getting taken off the ice. 4 on the ice and 2 on the bench. Geez.

*Another Edit* Isles "fans" are chanting Crosby sucks. Glad they're enjoying a great regular season game, since they never get to enjoy one in May or June.

Refs finally let the game end...Pens had 6 players + 2 goalies left in the game at the end. Islanders had 9 + 2 goalies. The game itself sucked because of the loss, but the updates tomorrow should be interesting. Ugly, ugly game.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #428
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

despite the score, I'm glad I caught a stream of this game, just to remember the way the NHL used to-be 30+ years ago ~ note-pretty, but memorable

are those dumb sewer-dwellers chanting 'CROSBY SUCKS', when he hasn't played in 4+ weeks?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #429
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
despite the score, I'm glad I caught a stream of this game, just to remember the way the NHL used to-be 30+ years ago ~ note-pretty, but memorable

are those dumb sewer-dwellers chanting 'CROSBY SUCKS', when he hasn't played in 4+ weeks?

Lol, yes they were. I turned the game off early in the second...didn't expect all that crap to be going down. I'm downloading and watching what I missed though for sure. I think Fleury was the only Pens player not to get into any kind of scrap.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #430
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
I think Fleury was the only Pens player not to get into any kind of scrap.
"... not-impress... it a patetic-performance...

... he soff... like I never see ..."
Closed Thread