Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers could know Dick LeBeau's status next week

Steelers could know Dick LeBeau's status next week
05:54 PM
by Sean Leahy, USA TODAY
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...us-next-week/1

The Pittsburgh Steelers could know by next week if defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will return to the team.

NFL.com reported that the Hall of Famer told the team he wants to take the weekend to consider his options, but the site said that LeBeau is leaning toward returning.

LeBeau, 73, ruled out a move to another team in the weeks before the Steelers' loss in the Super Bowl.

His contract was set to expire after the season.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,618 Posts
Default Re: Steelers could know Dick LeBeau's status next week

im sure dick feels pretty horrible about standing in the way of kevin butlers career advancement and about all the ungrateful bastard steelerfans who blame him for last sundays loss.

although i dont see it, he could very well retire.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Maybe he could pass the DC position on to Butler and stick around as a consultant.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,686 Times in 2,627 Posts

I believe LeBeau would have retired if the Steelers had won last Sunday - but his defense had a very good year (although not as good as 2008) , he is tight with his players, is used to soem fans being idiots after being in the game for over 50 years, and assumes he has a shot to go out a winner next season.

As far as Butler being handcuffed by not being able to take the Arizona job, he can thank his agent for that by signing a contract that keeps him in Pittsburgh for the length of the contract unless he has a shot for a HC job. In any line of work you can never count on being promoted based on when someone else leaves and I doubt LeBeau will let Butler being stuck behind him impact his decision whether to return.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

if he's even thinking about it, he very well could retire. I almost expect him to sign a one-year contract and return for next year.......if anything to try and fix that defense debacle we periodically had last year, including the last game.
Its very hard to retire/walk away after losing a SB heartbreaker. It would have been easier to retire after a regular old playoff loss or a missed playoffs altogether.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I believe LeBeau would have retired if the Steelers had won last Sunday - but his defense had a very good year (although not as good as 2008) , he is tight with his players, is used to soem fans being idiots after being in the game for over 50 years, and assumes he has a shot to go out a winner next season.

As far as Butler being handcuffed by not being able to take the Arizona job, he can thank his agent for that by signing a contract that keeps him in Pittsburgh for the length of the contract unless he has a shot for a HC job. In any line of work you can never count on being promoted based on when someone else leaves and I doubt LeBeau will let Butler being stuck behind him impact his decision whether to return.

Butler's lucky he didn't get banished to "no-man's land" in Arizona, a graveyard of sorts. "Any" promotion is not always better....he's much better off in the long run
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Lebeau for 5 more!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

It would be a shame for him to retire now. On the clip Americas game he said he'll stick around as long as they'll have him. But things change!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

First of all, I want to say that I like LeBeau and in an overall sense he's done great work.

I just hope that if he decides to stay, he recognizes that there are 11 guys out there, not just the 7 guys near the line. His defenses consistently rank in the top 3 to 5 overall, but his secondaries generally leave much to be desired lately and that needs to be fixed.

The thing about being a legend is that people tend to only see the good things and that may be great for a guy's reputation but it often hurts the team as a whole.

Take Noll for example.

Once the 70's were over and after Cope anointed him Emperor, he went through the 80's with little to show for it and I think a lot of that was because he was so revered and thus so beyond criticism that no one was willing to say anything to him about the team not doing so great.

By the time he left, he had only won the division just twice in the entire decade, but when Cowher took over in '92, we suddenly became a team that was regularly posting double-digit wins every year and we finished first in five of the next six seasons and went to a Super bowl.

I don't think it was so much that Cowher was any sort of genius, but rather that he was young and enthusiastic and represented a fresh new way of working with the team. Noll wasn't any less of a coach, he was just getting stale but he was The Emperor and there sure as hell wasn't anyone who was going to point that out to him.

I just don't want that to happen with LeBeau is all.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,391 Times in 2,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i support lebeau, but part of me thinks he should retire.

if butler has as much potential as i've heard, i'd like to see him step up to the DC position maybe sooner rather than later.

in either case, i support lebeau's decision to stay or retire

can't say the same for arians though
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote