Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,642 Posts
Default After final further review it is 2 plays that lost the SuperBowl

A ton of fans will refuse to watch a replay of a horrible, heartbreaking loss, and many players do the same.

I am the opposite. I watched the Packers at the podium, and all the post-game interviews, jubilation, and highlight shows full of praise for the champions.

I emersed myself in the misery of the Steelers players who were despondant and who felt they let their city, team, and fans down.

I followed all the coverage through the week, and all the analysts shows that pick apart every single aspect and play of the game.

perhaps I am just sick, or perhaps it is just part of the healing proces, or perhaps it is just because I am an NFL junkit and it is whaat I do after the end of every season whether the Steelers win, lose, or arent even in the playoffs.

Since the loss hurt so bad, it is easiest to understand it, put it behind me, and then appreciate the game and season for what it was.

For me that means simplfying the loss. Many people want to complicate it by saying Ben was off, or Arians had a horrible gameplan that was too predictable, or that it was because of drafting, linemen being out, or the play of cornerbacks, penalties, slippery turf and injuries.

It is very easy and almost overly simplistic to blame the 3 turnovers. People want a scapegoat. But in this instance there is no scapegoat. In a game of 120 or so plays it came down to 2-

Ben's second interception and Clay Matthews forced fumble. I could say each play was a potential 14 point swing and we should have won 38-17. Since Bens misread on his pick only definitively cost us 7 points i will say we wouldve won had these 2 plays not happened.

Im throwing out all the penalties, missed tackles, dropped passes, and supposed bad play by individuals. It happened to both teams and is a wash. Most importantly I am throwing out the Pick 6 on Ben's 1st interception where his arm was hit. Sometimes a team is just "out physicalled" on a play. That happens in football; its the nature of the beast. Its where you have the least opportunity to control the outcome.

I had initially thought this was the backbreaking play of the game, but not no more.

The other 2 are more crucial because they were made between the ears as much as on the field.

Inside The NFL had the best footage, coverage, and analysis of these 2 plays I have seen thus far.

On the interception, the packers were in man-to-man coverage at the line. heath Miller was uncovered. Say what you want, but Manning, Brady, Brees woulda instantly recognized this pre-snap and it wouldve been an easy TD. Miller was wide open because of the Packers mistake.

On the forced fumble, Kevin Greene told Clay Matthews "it is time" whose fault is it that a coach fired up his player to make the play of the game when it was most needed by them? In the pre-snap huddle you hear Matthews predicting the correct run play saying he "has a feeling".

A great play by Matthews, a horrible play by Ben. sometimes it is that simple.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
GBpack2010
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17949
My Mood: Busy
Default Re: After final further review it is 2 plays that lost the SuperBowl

The only thing Im concerned with as a Packer fan is James Jones and his board hands. He cant catch a pass and he dropped a potential td that may have put the game away early. He did the same in Philly and dropped a key 3rd down conversion in Chicago also.
GBpack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,642 Posts

we have the same issues with ike taylor.

as for all of the packers dropped passes i wish somebody would finally step up and give credit to the steelers secondary which is probably the hardest hitting secondary in the nfl.

greg jennings was completely body rocked by polamalu on his 1st td.

i noticed packer players taking their eye off the ball, looking for where the hits were coming from on several occasions. most notable was jordy nelson on a crossing route in the middle when lawrence timmons AND ryan clark were bearing down on him.

and finally the rocket balls aaron was throwing. many times he was throwing rockets to either beat the rush or beat the coverage.

either that or he simply has no touch (i am sure it is the former).

yet many fans on both sides (and all talking heads/ media analysts) simply chalk it up the the "great" wr corps of the packers suddenly having butterfingers instead of giving credit to the playoff's #1 defense.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
steelerohio
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14925

I have to sat the Mendenhall fumble pretty much finished it...
Old 02-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,402 Posts

am i the only one to notice the piss poor blocking effort by david johnson that allowed that free shot by mathews on mendenhall ?
johnson just ran right between the 2 guys and allowed them to sandwich mendenhall.

[YOUTUBE]ulq1xcyaU_w [/YOUTUBE]

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

It happens. Ben just hit the hump at the wrong time.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

yet many fans on both sides (and all talking heads/ media analysts) simply chalk it up the the "great" wr corps of the packers suddenly having butterfingers instead of giving credit to the playoff's #1 defense.
I said this before the game and everyone (including packer fans) told me no the pack had good hands.

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

I agree Tony. The fumble was the back breaker. Just a great play by Matthews. Steelers had the momentum before that and looked like they were going to take the lead. Ben didn't play as bad as everyone makes it out to be but he made some bad errors and hopefully he learns from it. It's football and that's part of life. The WR's will have a year under their belt and a playoff run to learn from. They will be back.
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
am i the only one to notice the piss poor blocking effort by david johnson that allowed that free shot by mathews on mendenhall ?
johnson just ran right between the 2 guys and allowed them to sandwich mendenhall.

[YOUTUBE]ulq1xcyaU_w [/YOUTUBE]
If you watch sound FX on the SB, you will hear Mathews callin the play, he noticed it then took a shot.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
steelerohio
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14925

You know? After three turnovers that have all resulted in touchdowns, the steelers does not deserve to even have a shot to win it in the final minutes. I say that's the making of a great team.

I didn't notice the missed block, good point out. But it still doesn't take away from the great play of Matthews. I repeat what had been said on here already and say the Steelers will be back, maybe even better and more focused than before. This team tends to get more focused the next season after falling short of their goal the year before.