Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #41
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: A question for Steeler fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby jr View Post
I think most Ravens fans handle both defeat and victory quite well. Baltimore is a class city and as a general rule our fans are gracious in both defeat and victory. Same with our coach. John Harbaugh is a class act.
Gracious in defeat and victory. That's a good one.

All you've ever done here is make excuses and refer to a week 4 victory as some kind of shining moment for your franchise. That's what you consider gracious? In the words of Inigo Montoya... "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Quote:
From reading this board during the last week, I see a lot of fans who can't seem to believe their team lost and certainly are not taking the defeat very well. It's not that different from what I read on the Ravens board after the Ravens lost. It is difficult to lose a Super Bowl, I actually think it is harder on Steeler fans to lose the Super Bowl than it was on Ravens fans to lose in the playoffs.
Really? Then you need to get your little peepers checked again. The majority have taken the loss very well. Yes, a few random people are bitter and upset. Most were glad to have had the Steelers make it to the SB and were ok with a decent franchise like GB winning it all. I'd say every one of them (even those who are bitter) are just happy the Steelers didn't lose to the Ravens or Jets.

Quote:
Well better than Ben's two minute offense in the Super Bowl. Some seemed to believe he would always come through in that situation which is of course impossible.
Oh ok...is that why he couldn't orchestrate a last minute drive against the Steelers WHEN IT MATTERED? I was confused there for a second. Thank you for clarifying.

Quote:
I recall how Flacco led the Ravens to the winning TD in Pittsburgh this year in the regular season in the waning seconds of that game. And I cannot help but think he would have fared better in the Super Bowl. Give Joe Flacco the ball with two minutes to go against a defense that his depleted due to injury and I think he at least gets it down close and has some shots at the end zone.
You THINK...you don't KNOW. And I knew it wouldn't be long before you brought up the week 4 game that Flacco managed to win. Too bad for you that has nothing to do with anything.

Quote:
Flacco grew a lot this year and with the win in Heinz Field he achieved a status which he has never had before. I'm looking forward to next year.
What status is that? That he can only beat the Steelers when they have a backup QB on the field?

Quote:
I think it's worse to lose the Super Bowl than to lose in the playoffs.
My most painful memories as a Baltimore fan are the losses when the team was on the verge of winning the World Championship. The '69 Orioles losing to the Mets. The '69 Colts losing to the Jets.
The "71 and '79 Orioles losing to the Pirates.
Of course, an early exit in the playoffs is ALWAYS better. You're freaking delusional and bitter.

Quote:
For a fan there is nothing worse than having to dwell on losing the marquee event of his teams sport with the whole world watching. Losing in the playoffs is bad too, but at least you can relax during the Super Bowl and you get a higher draft choice too.
No, for a fan there is nothing worse than watching your team be another teams bitch WHEN IT MATTERS year after year. Whatever helps you sleep at night though.

Quote:
Of course Ben has the better history and two Super Bowl rings. But Flacco progressed this year, Ben was already at his peak.
You say that like his career is over. How do you know he's hit his peak? How do you know Flacco didn't hit his peak this year? You say the silliest things from the most bitter place sometimes. It's amusing.

Quote:
I'm not labeling Ben due to the Super Bowl, but the fact is he didn't get the job done with two minutes to go.
I'm saying Flacco and Ben were very close in their QB ratings this year, and I think Flacco could have likely done somthing against a depleted Green Bay defense with two minutes to go.
Well, he didn't get that chance now did he. In the end it doesn't mean shit whether you think he would have won or not, because neither he nor his team were good enough to get there. Period.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #42
dez09231
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11142

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA I remember that occurring. We won the f*cking Super Bowl and Bunghole fans gloated about how better they were and how they had our number and how they were the new cream of the crop because they won the division!

AFC NORTH > Super Bowl. That's the mentality of a fanbase that's NEVER won. Sad really.

When you're the Bengals, winning the division may as well be winning the Super Bowl.

For Baltimore, beating Pittsburgh is winning the Super Bowl.

For Cleveland. . . well, every time they win it's gotta be like winning the Super Bowl.

edit: And Bobby Jr. is delusional. Like usual.

I like how with Ravens fans it's always the same; "Yeah, you beat us literally every time it counts, but next year will somehow be different!"

Andddd the Flacco to Roethlisberger comparisons. . . .lol. . . . Flacco clearly didn't want to even see the field the second half of the divisional round. He had his jacket on, his helmet on, his head down. . . he wasn't even listening to the coaches. A winner doesn't do that. A winner is on the sidelines looking over film or staying loose. Flacco is not, and probably will never be a winner.

"Flacco would've beaten the Packers". . . lol k. . . because he's so proven to win close games that matter.

Flacco's playoff stats:

53% completion, 4 TD's, 4 INT's, QB rating of 60.

LOOK OUT MONTANA!
dez09231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #43
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

Quote:
Of course Ben has the better history and two Super Bowl rings. But Flacco progressed this year, Ben was already at his peak.

I'm not labeling Ben due to the Super Bowl, but the fact is he didn't get the job done with two minutes to go.
I'm saying Flacco and Ben were very close in their QB ratings this year, and I think Flacco could have likely done somthing against a depleted Green Bay defense with two minutes to go.
I wouldn't be surprised if Flacco did have a game winning touchdown with 2 minutes to go. But I would be surprised if the Ravens caught up from an 18 point deficit.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #44
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez09231 View Post
edit: And Bobby Jr. is delusional. Like usual.
... he is... the turd that just won't flush...

... stay-thirsty, my ratbird-friend...
Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #45
dez09231
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11142

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Flacco did have a game winning touchdown with 2 minutes to go. But I would be surprised if the Ravens caught up from an 18 point deficit.
The kid arguing against Ben being clutch is asinine, and shows his blind bias.

Ben is 10th all time in 4th quarter comebacks. ALL TIME. He's not clutch according to Bobby, though.

And through the first 7 years of his career? Ben is 1st. That means through 7, he's had more than Brady, Manning, Marino, Elway did through their first 7.

Word though, give me Flacco. . . a guy who's never beaten Ben, (what. . . 0-7 now?) and a guy who wants no part of the ball when the game is on the line in a big game.
dez09231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:17 AM   #46
bobby jr
Banned

Member Number: 15696

The idea that Preston had of replacing Flacco with Bulger is ridiculous. Flacco is 7 years younger and his QB rating has progressed to the 90's in his 3 years. Bulgers' QB rating regressed to the 70's his last 3 years as a starter. Bulger is a good backup but that is all.

As for Ben always winning against Flacco, again that is deceiving It is not like Ben has always played well or dominated in those games they were almost all close. And one game was highly controversal with the Steelers getting a last minute TD on a questionable TD awarded by the refs.

We've seen in the Super Bowl that past performance does not guarantee future results. Ben had never lost a Super Bowl or failed in a 2 minute offense with the game on the line in the Super Bowl until this year. Flacco was successful in leading

his team from behind to victory in the Heinz field regular season game this year. You can say Ben wasn't on the field but the Steelers scored more points at home against the Ravens than they did with Ben playing in Baltimore in the two regular season games. Also Ben wasn't playing defense, the Steelers had the lead and Joe Flacco led the Ravens to the winning TD in the closing seconds of that game.
bobby jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:31 AM   #47
BGSU A Dub
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17389

Quote:
The idea that Preston had of replacing Flacco with Bulger is ridiculous. Flacco is 7 years younger and his QB rating has progressed to the 90's in his 3 years. Bulgers' QB rating regressed to the 70's his last 3 years as a starter. Bulger is a good backup but that is all.

As for Ben always winning against Flacco, again that is deceiving It is not like Ben has always played well or dominated in those games they were almost all close. And one game was highly controversal with the Steelers getting a last minute TD on a questionable TD awarded by the refs.

We've seen in the Super Bowl that past performance does not guarantee future results. Ben had never lost a Super Bowl or failed in a 2 minute offense with the game on the line in the Super Bowl until this year. Flacco was successful in leading

his team from behind to victory in the Heinz field regular season game this year. You can say Ben wasn't on the field but the Steelers scored more points at home against the Ravens than they did with Ben playing in Baltimore in the two regular season games. Also Ben wasn't playing defense, the Steelers had the lead and Joe Flacco led the Ravens to the winning TD in the closing seconds of that game.
It said a question for STEELERS fans. Go play with your legos Bobby J. and don't cause no more ruckus.
BGSU A Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #48
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:

With regard to Preston's observations questioning Flacco, he presumbaly has better sources within the team than you do and gets paid for making them - what non-financial income you derive from coming on to a Steelers board to praise Flacco remains unclear to me.

As for Roethlisberger's record against Baltimore - (1) led drive in last three minutes and threw TD pass to win December 2008 game in Baltimore that won division and secured first round bye; (2) made what Collinsworth said was one of the best plays of the year in avoiding the Suggs sack late in the December 2010 win followed by the hot read to Redman for the game winning score in game that ultimately won division and secured first round bye; and (3) threw a strike on 3rd and 19 to set up the winnning score in January 2011 playoff game.

I agree Flacco played well in the October 2010 game at Heinz. - of course all that did was set him up for yet again failing to get it done when the division and advancement in the playoffs were on the line in more important games later on. George Steinbrenner had a saying about Dave Winfield, calling him "Mr. May" since baseball reputations are made in the crucial late season games in which Winfield usually choked. When the season is on the line Flacco has yet to deliver against the Steelers - I gues Joe Flacco is the "Mr. October" of the NFL.

Here is a sampling of Flacco's record in games with the Steelers in which the winner won the division/secured first round bye or moved on in the playoffs

December 2008 - Ravens put up 9 points/no TDs - lost 13-9

January 2009 playoff game - Flacco pick six to Polamalu

December 2010- strip sack sets up game winning score when Ravens have ball with less than 4 minurtes left and probably just need to punt it away to preserve win

January 2011 - wounded duck INT and funmbled snap set up Steelers deep in Ravens territory to score 10 points to take lead

You are correct - Roethisberger's play is not the sole reason for his 6-0 record against Flacco - it is impossible to overlook crucial mistakes by Flacco in the four late season losses discussed above

Glad all is so well in Baltimore that the O-line coach was fired, the D-coordinator fled to a college job, the QB coach was fired, the players were bitching about Harbaugh practicing them too hard the week before their latest loss to the Steelers, and Flacco said the firing of Zorn disrespected Flacco's performance this season - given their preseason expectations I probably would be cleaning house as well if I were Harbaugh

Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #49
bobby jr
Banned

Member Number: 15696

Who cares what Preston thinks. Maybe he doesn't like Flacco for some reason, was rejected for an interview or something. Who knows. The idea of replacing Flacco with Bulger makes no sense. I believe in QB ratings as one of the best measures, and Bulger's QB rating dipped into the 70's his last 3 years as starter. That is why Bulger lost his job and I don't see him replacing one of the top 10 QB's in the league at his age.

Yeah the Ravens have made some changes, the offensive line underperformed and the OL coach deserved to be fired. Flacco was upset about Zorn being fired but he'll get over that. This will all be small potatoes by September.
The news today in Baltimore is that Harbaugh is being extended for 3 years. This is good news for Ravens fans.

The whole Ravens team underperformed in the 2nd half in the Pittsburgh playoff game. I believe this was largly due to an unfavorable schedule and fatigue. The Ravens had to play KC in a playoff game then go to Pittsburgh on 6 days rest to play the Steelers who had 13 days off after beating a weak Cleveland team the final day of the season.
bobby jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #50
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

ravens and their fans always whine about the schedule.

anyways, kudos to bobbyjr, for perfectly illustrating to the packerfan OP that our afc north rival fans are just as bitter and dilusional as their nfc counterparts.