Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,118 Times in 2,393 Posts
Default Re: What If?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post

So really, its all about one game, that everyone points to, Ben's Rookie year. Big deal. Just cause the Pats don't hold up their end an win the same years as us, doesn't mean we were "lucky" not to play them.
Steelers have beaten New England once with Brady on the field since 2001 (record is 6-1 when Brady starts)

I could say that is a pattern of being owned just as the Steelers presumably will find a way to whip Baltimore when Roethkisberger plays

2001 - AFC championship loss at Heinz
2002 - New England goes for the first time to the screw the run you cannot stop our passing game offnse - home New England win
2004 - regular season Steelers blowout win in October
2005 - another AFC championship loss
2005 - regular season loss on last second FG after Steelers tie game late
2007 - Anthony Smiith guarantees the win - another loss
2008 - blowout Steelers win with Cassell rather than Brady
2010 - blowout New England win at Heinz
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Re: What If?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I don't call it avoiding, I call it the Patriots not being good enough to get to play us in those years.

2001, the Patriots get to Pittsburgh after the "tuck rule" win over the raiders in the Snow, then Bledsoe, not Brady, and the NE Special teams beat the Steelers and Kordell Stewart. That was a week after the Steelers had just beaten the Defending Champs Ravens. Ok fine.

2002, the Patriots don't even make the playoffs. Steelers beat the Browns and lose to Titans.

2003 Steelers Miss playoffs, Patriots beat Titans and Colts on way to SB.

2004. Patriots the #2 seed, beat the Colts again, then come to Pittsburgh and beat the Rookie QB by 14 points.

2005, Steelers beat Bengals, Pats beat Jags, Pats then lose to Broncos, Steelers beat Colts and Broncos on way to SB. Who's fault is that? We'd have beaten the Pats that year, I don't doubt it.

2006, Steelers miss playoffs, Cowhers lame duck season. Pats beat Jets and Chargers and then lose to Colts after having an 18 point lead.

2007, Steelers lose to Jags, Tomlins rookie year as head coach, Pats beat Jags and Chargers on way to SB lose to Giants.

2008. Steelers Beat Chargers and Ravens on way to SB win over Cards. Pats not in playoffs.

2009, Pats lose at home to Ravens badly. Steelers not in playoffs.

2010, Pats lose at home to Jets, Steeles beat Ravens and Jets on way to SB.

So really, its all about one game, that everyone points to, Ben's Rookie year. Big deal. Just cause the Pats don't hold up their end an win the same years as us, doesn't mean we were "lucky" not to play them.
One game? The Steelers have only beaten the Patriots twice in 8 games and one of those was with Brady out. I hate the Pats with all my heart, but if I'm being honest they have pretty much owned us head to head. The Pats are also 3-1 all time against us in playoff games. Could we have beaten them in 05, sure. But they were the #1 seed that year and our history would say otherwise.
Fact is, in the biggest games we've played against them this decade they have dominated us. Similar to how we have dominated the Ravens. I think the Steelers, Pats, and Ravens have been 3 of the top 5 teams in the last decade. All somewhat equal. But in head to head games it hasn't worked out that way between us and either or them.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote