Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-13-2011, 01:29 AM   #41
BlockMonsta
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13642
Default Re: Steelers Get 6'8" Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
yep i been watching salas for years, dude is for real. you from hawaii too?
Yep, graduated from Kahuku so got a few freinds up at UH. Gonna play another season of juco ball here in cali though next semetser..assuming I come back. You from the 808 state?
BlockMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #42
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325
Default Westley Lyons 6'9" WR

"Steelers sign seven to off-season contracts
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have signed seven players, including six who were on the 2010 practice squad, to off-season contracts.

The six players from the practice squad who have re-signed are tight end Eugene Bright, safety Damon Cromartie-Smith, linebacker Chris Ellis, wide receiver Tyler Grisham, defensive end Sunny Harris and offensive tackle Kyle Jolly.

First-year wide receiver Wes Lyons, a Woodland Hills graduate, was signed to a reserve/future contract for the 2011 season. Lyons (6-8, 230) originally signed with the New York Jets in 2010 as an undrafted rookie free agent out of West Virginia.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11048/1126131-100.stm#ixzz1EFJrO4J6"

-from pittsburghpostgazette.com

Wath this 2 yr signing is telling me is that they are trying to find a big(tall) WR for redzone purposes or even to be a full time reciever....Why would they sign this guy for 2 years if they are just going to cut him for all you people that say he's just a practice squad body.....I think they signed this guy for 2 years to develop him to be an NFL WR or have him bulk up so he can play tight end for us or something...the guy is 6'9" 235 and has a 41.5 verticle with 4.6 speed he put up 18 B.R. I believe...

You guys should watch some of the youtube vids on him...the guy looks like he can catch but the only thing is that he hasn't been able to stay healthy for most of his career...I say we use him for redzone purposes or possibly bulk him up so he can be our extra TE in the redzone...he already looks like a good blocker against CB in college...but we'll c....a 2 year signing is telling me that they want this guy to develop or they are thinking of utilizing him this year or next.....Why else would he get a 2 yr contract instead of a 1?

The Steelers really went out on this one...if they were looking for a tall WR...they found the tallest WR in the NFL today....lmao....hopefully he pans out because if he does, he is going to be a beast in the endzone! I think the Steelers are looking for a big target WR that isn't LAMEASS SWEED!!!! I guy that I have been really high on all season as a possiblility for the Steelers in the later rounds is WR DeAndre Brown from S. Miss....He can potentially become a Plexico Burress/Vincent Jackson type of guy...I hope we pick him up in the 5th.....A guy that I would love to have on the team would be Pitt WR Jonathan Baldwin...the dude is a better athlete than Brown and at this point is a way better WR (he's projected to go late 1st/early 2nd) but it's highly unlikely we pick him up...but you never know......

Wesley Lyons WR Steelers:( youtube videos:
)

DeAndre Brown WR S. Miss:

Jonathan Baldwin, WR Pitt:

taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #43
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Default Re: Westley Lyons 6'9" WR

Shoot I misspelled the guys name in the title of my thread....It should say WESLEY not westley....lol...
Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #44
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,558 Times in 2,365 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

deandre brown is a great talent but his attitude problems remind me of TO.

now if the steelers coaching staff can knock that out of his system then great. however the diva syndrome is all too common with wr's this talented
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #45
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Welcome to last week.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=70683
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #46
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

you're absolutely right about this guy....he's the article i mean to post with this thread....http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu..._bust_prospect I copied and pasted the article below:

"DeAndre Brown is a former big-time, five-star recruit coming out of high school and is arguably the biggest recruit ever to land at Southern Miss. He immediately made his presence felt on the field in 2008 as the 6-6, 240-pound physical specimen hauled in 67 receptions for 1,117 yards and 12 touchdowns.

For a guy his size he displays a good initial first step off the line and really does have an explosive element to his game – when healthy. He’s not a burner, but is a powerful athlete who can easily shrug off defenders when getting into his routes and possesses the kind of strider speed that is tough to keep pace with. The further down the field he’s asked to run the tougher he is to cover and overall he’s very difficult for opposing defensive backs to keep pace with him on vertical routes.
AdChoices

He also possesses some natural fluidity for a big guy when asked to snap off more sharply breaking routes. Displays good balance out of his breaks, keeps his feet under him and can create an initial burst when trying to change directions and separate for his size. He isn’t a real polished/clean route runner at this stage and will round off his breaks routinely, but for his size you can see a he’s a really naturally gifted athlete.

Therefore, if you have this potentially dominant freshman wide out who runs well for his size, has some natural fluidity/balance as a route runner and exhibits a real explosive element to his game, why isn’t he now a potential first round pick?

The Answer… Brown is a character and medical concern. He brutally broke his left leg in the final game of his freshman season and missed the start of his sophomore year because of it. He also missed time during 2009 with a shoulder injury. Missed seven games this past year with a lower leg strain and never really appeared healthy during the 2010 season because of it, playing with a noticeable gimp. There are also some major questions about his work ethic, attitude and off the field character, as Brown has had some run ins with the coaching staff at Southern Miss and was arrested in July of 2010 on charges of disorderly conduct.

When you hear reports like this and talk to scouts in the area the one word that keeps coming up when describing Brown is “immature”. And if you have a prospect who is immature there are typically a pair of qualities that routinely seem to pop up.

The first is that immature prospects struggle to handle adversity.

The second is that immature prospects struggle to stay healthy because they don’t handle pain well.

Now, in no way am I saying that Brown needed to play through his broken leg. But he’s been injury riddled ever since and you have to question the guy’s passion to get healthy, put in the work in rehab and get back onto to the football field as quickly as possible.

Brown is an impressive natural talent; there is no denying that. And the fact that he is such a talent has me thinking he will still hear his name called sometime during the mid/late portions of the 2011 NFL draft. He’s the kind of prospect who if he ever gets it all together has the skill set to be a very good starting wide out in the NFL. But if he doesn’t, Brown could be out of the NFL sooner rather than later."
Old 02-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #47
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
lol yeah.. i knew about this way before it was officially on their website but I just had some time to post this up.....

I must of missed that one ...I've been so damn busy lately
Old 02-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #48
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Brown is exactly the type of athlete the Steelers won't even bother discussing and I applaud them for that.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #49
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

There has to be something wrong with this guy, I mean he's a physical freak and on paper looks like he should be a dominant force at WR, but his horrid stats through his ENTIRE tenure at WVU are too alarming to ignore, that can't be just a case of being in a system that limits his effectiveness or injuries, there has to be something else we're not seeing...I mean he even went to camp and didn't even make it as a practice squad or special teams player, somebody of his phsycial prowess would surely at least have a backup or PS role on a team if there wasn't some other serious problem...
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #50
pittsurghsteelers4life
Water Boy

Member Number: 17697
Default Re: Steelers Get 6'8" Receiver

The guy looks good to me....so give this guy a chance...shit we need something better on our offense.....shit he could be another Randy Moss & for spaeth they need to let him go....this dude can not catch a Ball he catch then he drop the ball...I don't understand why they R keeping this dude trade him ass......u don't need a guy that is scared ...thz why he can't catch the Damm ball.....I WILL NEVER EVER 4GET THAT HE CAUGHT THE FOOT BALL IN THE ENDZONE. & DROPED IT soon as he cought it.......they lost the game after that.....I would have let him go them..
pittsurghsteelers4life is offline   Reply With Quote