Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Draft a corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
This is a deep cornerback draft, one of the deepest in recent memory by most everyone's estimation. Translation: there's no need to overpay for a quality corner. Any of the top 10-15 cornerbacks this year can and should be solid starters by 2012 at the latest. This list is just one of many, but all of the top 12 will be pretty much the same no matter who's making it:

If the Steelers really wanted to do so, they could have two of these (CB) guys with their first three picks, get an O-lineman with the other and feel pretty good about their draft.

:appla udit:
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #12
GameTime55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15914

why not one corner, ol, and dl.

one of each.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,150 Times in 549 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

I'm liking Jimmy Smith more and more every day, I think we should trade into the middle of the first and get him. I really think he could be our next "great" corner if we draft him.

I also think Pouncey could actually end up slipping very late as well, I think as draft time grows nearer teams are going to realize he's not as good as his brother, and also interior lineman are never very popular before the late first/mid second unless they're STUDS, which Pouncey wasn't this past year. Just saying I wouldn't rule out him dropping a lot farther than most draft analysts are saying, if we're lucky we could trade up in the second as well and snag Pouncey AND Jimmy Smith...
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #14
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Where we draft the likely hood of a top corner who will make immediate impact will be gone. We could get an interior offensive lineman that could start at RG right away. If the Steelers decide that CB is a big need, Jonathon joseph is a free agent and would be an upgrade over Mcfadden or Gay.

Moving up from 31 to mid or higher 1st round to get a top CB would cost us too much. We still have a pretty good D and we can draft a CB in the 2nd. Butler didn't play much because he wasn't much on ST. But any film I have sen on him indicates he can cover pretty well. I am hopeful the light comes on for him at training camp.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
mcg24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
If the Steelers decide that CB is a big need, Jonathon joseph is a free agent and would be an upgrade over Mcfadden or Gay.
Ok, let's be realistic here. We are not going to sign Joseph.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg24 View Post
Ok, let's be realistic here. We are not going to sign Joseph.
Why not? He would be a great pickup-- maybe he could intercept some of the other teams' passes and run them back for TDs instead of Ben's. Don't the Steelers have a lot of cap room right now?
Old 02-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
mcg24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Why not? He would be a great pickup-- maybe he could intercept some of the other teams' passes and run them back for TDs instead of Ben's. Don't the Steelers have a lot of cap room right now?
I know he would be a great pickup, but we aren't going to sign him. We never sign big name free agents, why would we start now? And Joseph is going to want a load of cash, we would have to overpay him.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #18
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg24 View Post
I know he would be a great pickup, but we aren't going to sign him. We never sign big name free agents, why would we start now? And Joseph is going to want a load of cash, we would have to overpay him.
I hear what you are saying, but the Steelers never signed aging veterans and superstars to big contracts either, until they made Polamalu the highest paid safety in the league in (2007?), until they gave Ben a $100 million contract, or gave Silverback a $57 million contract.

Admittedly, I have not looked at the official stats to see where JonathanJoseph stacks up against the rest of the CBs in the league, but I don't recall ever hearing his name when conversations about elite CBs came up. However, having to play them twice every season, we are more familiar with Cincy's personnel and we as Steeler fans know Joseph's capbiliites, but does the rest of the league?

Just hypothetical, not trying to be argumentative.....
Old 02-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #19
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
I hear what you are saying, but the Steelers never signed aging veterans and superstars to big contracts either, until they made Polamalu the highest paid safety in the league in (2007?), until they gave Ben a $100 million contract, or gave Silverback a $57 million contract.

Admittedly, I have not looked at the official stats to see where JonathanJoseph stacks up against the rest of the CBs in the league, but I don't recall ever hearing his name when conversations about elite CBs came up. However, having to play them twice every season, we are more familiar with Cincy's personnel and we as Steeler fans know Joseph's capbiliites, but does the rest of the league?

Just hypothetical, not trying to be argumentative.....
None of those guys were really what you should call "aging veterans". Even Harrison had very little wear on his tires, relatively speaking, when they signed him. I don't know what you mean by not signing superstars. Their entire 70s roster were superstars, and were continuously resigned as needed.

And no, we're not going to be signing Joseph.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,891 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I'm liking Jimmy Smith more and more every day, I think we should trade into the middle of the first and get him. I really think he could be our next "great" corner if we draft him.

I also think Pouncey could actually end up slipping very late as well, I think as draft time grows nearer teams are going to realize he's not as good as his brother, and also interior lineman are never very popular before the late first/mid second unless they're STUDS, which Pouncey wasn't this past year. Just saying I wouldn't rule out him dropping a lot farther than most draft analysts are saying, if we're lucky we could trade up in the second as well and snag Pouncey AND Jimmy Smith...
And because of this I don't think he'll be there when we draft.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote