Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #21
mcg24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17631
Default Re: Draft a corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
I hear what you are saying, but the Steelers never signed aging veterans and superstars to big contracts either, until they made Polamalu the highest paid safety in the league in (2007?), until they gave Ben a $100 million contract, or gave Silverback a $57 million contract.

Admittedly, I have not looked at the official stats to see where JonathanJoseph stacks up against the rest of the CBs in the league, but I don't recall ever hearing his name when conversations about elite CBs came up. However, having to play them twice every season, we are more familiar with Cincy's personnel and we as Steeler fans know Joseph's capbiliites, but does the rest of the league?

Just hypothetical, not trying to be argumentative.....
No I understand what you are saying. True, we didn't give guys huge contracts to guys, but in all honesty I don't think we are overpaying James, Troy, or Ben by one penny.

I've heard Joseph considered a big time corner many times, and if I haven't heard about him I hear about the duo that is Hall and Joseph plenty of times in a year. I agree with you, I'd love to have him, I just don't see it happening.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:31 AM   #22
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg24 View Post
Ok, let's be realistic here. We are not going to sign Joseph.
I never said we would sign Joseph, I only mentioned he was a free agent and would be an upgrade. I get the feeling the Steelers are not overly concerned about the D. I am sure if one of the top corners fall to 31 we will take him, but I get the feeling the Steelers think Butler will turn out to be another Taylor.
Another pro bowl player now available is Atogwe, but we won't get him either. If the Steelers believe they need to improve the secondary immediately there are options out in free agency. But I am with you on the point, MCG, that we likely won't be players in free agency.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,817 Times in 2,687 Posts

NYT has the lengthy transcript of Mike Mayco*k of NFL Network discussing the draft

Q. Given what you said about the cornerbacks, do you view that is a position that will take at the end of the first round? And what do you think are the best positions for them to target at the end of the first round?

MAYOCK: I think corner and offensive line are their two most obvious areas of need. Pittsburgh is one of those teams that typically takes the highest rated player at their biggest position of need. And Kevin has done a great job with that.

Remember, these are my preferences. Pittsburgh might like the kid from Texas. They might like the kid from Miami. I happen to think the kid from Miami to me is a second or third round corner. He’s not a first round corner.

The kid from Texas, Aaron Williams, to me I’m still trying to figure him out. I’ve watched about three or four of his tapes, and he’s the guy that could fit in at the end of the first round.

Aaron Williams, I think would be interesting to them. He’ll tackle. He’s kind of a physical guy, bigger corner. He might be the guy that they look at. If it’s not corner, then I think it has to be offensive line.

I thought they did a great job keeping it together with all the injuries they’ve had this year. But they’ve got to go get one of those big tackles that I’ve already mentioned or get one of those inside guys. One way or another, they’ve got to upgrade the athleticism of the offensive line.

These were May****'s earlier comments on cornerbacks

After Amukamara and Patrick Peterson, there is a drop off. And I’m not sure the kid from Texas, Aaron Williams, and I’m not sure ‑‑ I don’t like the Miami kid up are there, Brandon Harris

The inside guys and tackles were discussed by May**** earlier in the conference call last week

Whether it’s Castonzo from B.C. or Solder or Tyron Smith or Carimi. Those four guys are all first round tackles....

And I think out of that group, Carimi’s probably better on the right side but could handle the left. I also think Derek Sherrod from Mississippi State is a guy that a lot of people have in the second round that probably could be a first round left tackle.

I think Pouncey from Florida probably is gone at that point. Couple of guys I’m intrigued by are Danny Watkin from Baylor, and Clint Boling who played tackle at Georgia. Both of them were tackles in college. Both of them I believe will be interior linemen.

Watkins is a Canadian kid who has only played four or five years of football. He’s got some upside. He’s a tough, nasty kid. And Boling is a better football player than I gave him credit for. I liked what he did at The Senior Bowl.

He’s probably more of a second round guy. But there are some pretty good interior guys.

John Moffitt from Wisconsin, another second or third round interior guy. He can play center or guard, and Rodney Hudson from Florida State is another guy who has played guard. I think he might be a better center to be honest with you.

I could give you a bunch of different names because, for instance, Marcus Cannon from TCU is a kid who played tackle. I think he’s better at guard. There is a small school kid named William Rackley from Lehigh who you could get from the third and fourth round, so I think he’ll be a starter in the league.

It’s a pretty good year for interior offensive linemen. You don’t necessarily have to get them in the first round.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ne/?ref=sports
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #24
.24lockdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7265

Actually, the more and more i watch stuff from jimmy smith and aaron williams....the more i dont think jimmy smith will be our guy. He presses a lot and doesnt do well playing against the run. Aaron Williams is a guy who can cover, but his style is more of a read the play first. This is what we do, and is why our corners play off so often (also to prevent the big play). He is great against the run, and I think will fit into our system PERFECTLY.

I would want us to get him in the first, however, I have a feeling our first round pick will not be a cb. I think the steelers will settle for a guy like ras-i dowling to meet our cb need. He reminds me a LOT of Ike Taylor. I don't think his cover skills or his hands are as good as Aaron Williams, but is still great on the run and will probably be a 2nd-3rd rounder.
This is just my gut feeling on what will happen, but I really REALLY hope we get Aaron Williams in the 1st.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #25
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Our first round pick will be aaron williams....He's a true athletic freakk it looks like....

Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #26
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
NYT has the lengthy transcript of Mike Mayco*k of NFL Network discussing the draft

Q. Given what you said about the cornerbacks, do you view that is a position that will take at the end of the first round? And what do you think are the best positions for them to target at the end of the first round?

MAYOCK: I think corner and offensive line are their two most obvious areas of need. Pittsburgh is one of those teams that typically takes the highest rated player at their biggest position of need. And Kevin has done a great job with that.

Remember, these are my preferences. Pittsburgh might like the kid from Texas. They might like the kid from Miami. I happen to think the kid from Miami to me is a second or third round corner. He’s not a first round corner.

The kid from Texas, Aaron Williams, to me I’m still trying to figure him out. I’ve watched about three or four of his tapes, and he’s the guy that could fit in at the end of the first round.

Aaron Williams, I think would be interesting to them. He’ll tackle. He’s kind of a physical guy, bigger corner. He might be the guy that they look at. If it’s not corner, then I think it has to be offensive line.

I thought they did a great job keeping it together with all the injuries they’ve had this year. But they’ve got to go get one of those big tackles that I’ve already mentioned or get one of those inside guys. One way or another, they’ve got to upgrade the athleticism of the offensive line.

These were May****'s earlier comments on cornerbacks

After Amukamara and Patrick Peterson, there is a drop off. And I’m not sure the kid from Texas, Aaron Williams, and I’m not sure ‑‑ I don’t like the Miami kid up are there, Brandon Harris

The inside guys and tackles were discussed by May**** earlier in the conference call last week

Whether it’s Castonzo from B.C. or Solder or Tyron Smith or Carimi. Those four guys are all first round tackles....

And I think out of that group, Carimi’s probably better on the right side but could handle the left. I also think Derek Sherrod from Mississippi State is a guy that a lot of people have in the second round that probably could be a first round left tackle.

I think Pouncey from Florida probably is gone at that point. Couple of guys I’m intrigued by are Danny Watkin from Baylor, and Clint Boling who played tackle at Georgia. Both of them were tackles in college. Both of them I believe will be interior linemen.

Watkins is a Canadian kid who has only played four or five years of football. He’s got some upside. He’s a tough, nasty kid. And Boling is a better football player than I gave him credit for. I liked what he did at The Senior Bowl.

He’s probably more of a second round guy. But there are some pretty good interior guys.

John Moffitt from Wisconsin, another second or third round interior guy. He can play center or guard, and Rodney Hudson from Florida State is another guy who has played guard. I think he might be a better center to be honest with you.

I could give you a bunch of different names because, for instance, Marcus Cannon from TCU is a kid who played tackle. I think he’s better at guard. There is a small school kid named William Rackley from Lehigh who you could get from the third and fourth round, so I think he’ll be a starter in the league.

It’s a pretty good year for interior offensive linemen. You don’t necessarily have to get them in the first round.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ne/?ref=sports
His name is Mayock... why's that getting starred out on SFF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
Our first round pick will be aaron williams....He's a true athletic freakk it looks like....

The more I think about it, the more I believe O-Line will be first. Corner is just deeper this year, and they can risk letting it slide until the second round. If Pouncey is available, we're taking him, for sure. I don't believe it's as impossible as Mayock seems to think. How many teams are needing a guard in the first round? Only teams that are pretty much already set everywhere else might do it.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #27
.24lockdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7265

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post

Yup. PLUS he would fit our system
Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,817 Times in 2,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
His name is Mayock... why's that getting starred out on SFF?.
I misspelled the name
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #29
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by .24lockdown View Post
Actually, the more and more i watch stuff from jimmy smith and aaron williams....the more i dont think jimmy smith will be our guy. He presses a lot and doesnt do well playing against the run. Aaron Williams is a guy who can cover, but his style is more of a read the play first. This is what we do, and is why our corners play off so often (also to prevent the big play). He is great against the run, and I think will fit into our system PERFECTLY.

I would want us to get him in the first, however, I have a feeling our first round pick will not be a cb. I think the steelers will settle for a guy like ras-i dowling to meet our cb need. He reminds me a LOT of Ike Taylor. I don't think his cover skills or his hands are as good as Aaron Williams, but is still great on the run and will probably be a 2nd-3rd rounder.
This is just my gut feeling on what will happen, but I really REALLY hope we get Aaron Williams in the 1st.
im glad someone else sees it. jimmy smith is a really good corner but he plays horrible against the run. everything just assumes he plays the run well since he is a big cb but thats not true. he gets overpowered by wr's all the time