Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #71
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,813 Times in 4,475 Posts
Default Re: Official Juarez drug war death count thread

for those not aware, the cartels shake down everyone. teachers, doctors, cops, business owners, old ladies who live in the neighborhood.... EVERYONE.

if you dont pay for "protection" you are toast.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:09 AM   #72
tony hipchest
Supporter

a new year... a new death toll count. so far this year juarez is up to 400. (last year ended with about 3100)-

53 slain in 72 hours in Juárez

http://www.elpasotimes.com/juarez/ci...246?source=pkg

Quote:
In one of the deadliest three days that officials can remember, more than 50 people were killed in Juárez.

Among the 53 victims between Thursday and Saturday were a Juárez police officer, a municipal patrolman and a state investigator.

According to Chihuahua state officials it was the most violent three-day period seen this year. State police reported that on average eight people are killed in Juárez every day.

More than 150 people have been killed in Juárez this month, according to the state police.

Since a war broke out between the Juárez and Sinaloa drug cartels in 2008, more than 7,600 people have been killed in Juárez. Last year, 3,112 people were murdered in Juárez.

The violence began to pick up Thursday with 14 slayings, including a municipal police officer and an investigator with the state police.

A shootout between police and hit men Thursday morning left a police officer and two alleged hit men dead. Two other police officers and two suspects were wounded during the attack that occurred at the Arroyo Sur and Moro Macho streets in the Las Lilas subdivision.

Chihuahua police identified the officer as Ricardo Torillo Sandoval, who had worked for the Juárez police department since 1998.

Later that day, state police investigator Jesús Manuel Cruz Landin, 28, was shot and killed on his way home in the Lázaro Cárdenas neighborhood
Old 02-25-2011, 01:13 AM   #73
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

You read my mind! I was reading this article a couple hours ago and was going to dig up this thread, but got distracted listening to music.

It's amazing that this still isn't more of a national issue. Too much money to be made in the drug trade I guess.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:28 AM   #74
tony hipchest
Supporter

yeah, as the steelers got deeper into their playoff run i kinda took a break from following the carnage.

thats the great thing about the juarez death count. you can tune back in at any time and find plenty of greusome articles as if you hadnt missed a beat. same ol shit different day.

im only just a bit suprized that it seems its getting worse.

todays action was 3 young girls slain playing in their back yard (father was the supposed "target") and an 86 year old lady beaten to death in her home with a hammer to her face.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #75
tony hipchest
Supporter

KFOX 14 report: Many El Pasoans admit they overlook the rising death toll in Juárez

http://www.elpasotimes.com/juarez/ci...504?source=pkg

Quote:

EL PASO, Texas -- Mexican President Felipe Calderon said he will be strengthening armed forces presence along the border which has become a bloody battleground. Fifty-three people were killed in just the three days. It shocked some, but it is everyday life for others.

When asked how many murders she thought there were in Juarez so far this year, one woman replied, “I’d say 30 or 40."

Her answer was off by several hundred.

"I would say about 200, 300," answered Miguel Duarte, of central El Paso.

A little more than 300 murders so far in 2011 is the correct answer.

"Ugh, no way. That's crazy," said one woman.

She has been visiting from out of town. When asked if she was scared to come to El Paso because of the violence across the border, she answered, “no."

She said she has heeded the warnings.

"I've seen it on the news a lot and it's just scary," she said.

It's the media coverage that has people living across the border immune from the daily deaths. There were 53 over the weekend, including four police officers.

"Everyday it's the same thing," said Duarte.

"It's something you get used to hearing about. It's very common now,"
said Natividad Villapando, of central El Paso.

Villapando has had a first-hand account of the violence. A woman she worked with was carjacked.

"She actually didn't want to give up her car, but there wasn't much choice with that," said Villapando.

She was one of the lucky ones. On Friday, a municipal police officer became one of 20 victims. He was killed by an assassin who belonged to a band of carjackers. It is a reality check for many El Pasoans who often times overlook the daily tally of murders.

"Who knows how long it takes before it might come over here," said Villapando.

At the beginning of 2011, a researcher at a Juarez university projected about 5,000 people would be murdered in the city this year. That is about 2,000 more than 2010.

An estimated 8,000 people have been killed in the city since the turf war began between battling cartels in 2006.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #76
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

It's definitely true there's a disconnect between the perception in El Paso and the reality of what's happening just 2 to 3 miles away. It's literally like a different world. Watching nightly news there just doesn't seem real. It's like they're reporting in some far away country, while the truth is you could take an evening stroll and walk right into the middle of it before you broke a sweat.

Even with the bullets crossing the border last year there doesn't seem to be any real effort from the American side to change things over there.

I worked with 2 people who lived most of the time in Juarez, and even they just accept it as a part of life, and move on. They're not shocked, and don't expect it to change any time soon.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote