Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 17, 2011

Running back Rashard Mendenhall is drawing attention to himself — and not because of his costly fumble in Super Bowl XLV.

Mendenhall on Wednesday supported Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson's analogy between the NFL and the slave trade.

"It is a lot deep than most people understand," Mendenhall posted on the social networking site Twitter. "Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel each other."

Peterson, a perennial All-Pro, fired the most controversial salvo between players and owners following the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987.

Players decertified as a union Friday after they could not reach a deal with the owners on a new collective bargaining agreement. The owners responded by locking out the players Saturday.

"It's modern-day slavery, you know?" Peterson told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday. "People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money ... the owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money. I understand that; these are business-minded people. Of course this is what they are going to want to do. I understand that; it's how they got to where they are now. But as players, we have to stand our ground and say, 'Hey — without us, there's no football.'

"I don't really see this going to where we'll be without football for a long time; there's too much money lost for the owners. Eventually, I feel that we'll get something done."

Peterson's comments generated heavy criticism, including from some NFL players.

Mendenhall, however, stood behind Peterson in a series of tweets posted late Tuesday and yesterday.

Mendenhall declined an interview requested from the Tribune-Review through his agent, Mike McCartney. McCartney confirmed that Mendenhall authored the tweets that appeared on his official Twitter site.

The Steelers also declined comment.

Mendenhall, who was coming off a second straight 1,000-yard season, is an unlikely player in the firestorm Peterson started. He is generally reserved around the media.

But he did not back off his Twitter comments, firing back at those who were critical of him.

"If you look back and dissect what I said, I didn't say that the NFL was slavery, I said that they parallel each other. Look up the word parallel," he wrote. "I could break down how but that would take an amount of ideology and big words that a lot of you wouldn't understand."

Another Mendenhall tweet said: "Learn to LISTEN before you pass judgement. Because speaking without knowledge of subject is truly ignorant."

Twitter has become popular among professional athletes.

Among the Steelers who have active accounts on Twitter or Facebook, another social media website, include receiver Hines Ward, strong safety Troy Polamalu and outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

Professional athletes' use of Twitter became a hot topic in November after Buffalo Bills receiver Steve Johnson dropped what would have been a game-winning touchdown pass against the Steelers. After the Steelers 19-16 overtime win, Johnson sent a tweet blaming God for his miscue.

That drew attention to the drawbacks the immediacy of social media.

Mendenhall is coming off one of the best seasons by a Steelers running back. He rushed for 1,273 yards and 13 touchdowns.

However, he lost a fumble at a critical juncture of last month's Super Bowl.

It came when the Steelers, who had scored 14 unanswered points, were driving in the third quarter against the Green Bay Packers.

The Steelers, who were trailing 21-17 when Mendenhall fumbled, lost, 31-25.

Read more: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1GrtDMlUt

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Damn. Wish our guys wouldn't talk at all. Just get a deal done and then play football. I understand Mendy's comments might have been misinterpreted by some. But arguing with fans online is not a good thing.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Give me a break. The parallels are so weak and could be applied to every person who ever walked the face of the earth. This is why movie stars and athletes should just keep their thoughts to themselves. These players are treated far more special (starting at such and early age) than the general public. But the binds of entitlement obviously cut deep for them.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,016 Times in 407 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

huh.........didnt realize slaves made millions of dollars
vasteeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,809 Times in 2,684 Posts

Well - I continued to cheer for the Steelers after Roethlisberger's idiotic behavior last March so I will continue to cheer for them after Mendenhall's idiotic comments quoted above - but what a moronic statement by Mendenhall - glad he graciously has agreed not to confuse us by explaining his position with "big words" we would not understand

NFLPA leaders must be pounding their collective heads against the wall when some of these players start talking

Further evidence that for many folks having a twitter account is not a good idea
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
Give me a break. The parallels are so weak and could be applied to every person who ever walked the face of the earth. This is why movie stars and athletes should just keep their thoughts to themselves. These players are treated far more special (starting at such and early age) than the general public. But the binds of entitlement obviously cut deep for them.
That's true, and I suspect that's part of his point. Some of us think that there's a fine line between slaves and wage-slaves. Having control over your work is arguably more important than making a lot of money.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Some of us think that there's a fine line between slaves and wage-slaves.
I hope there aren't too many that believe it's just a fine line. I've never been shackled, whipped and beaten, sold, imprisoned and forced into labor without the freedom to choose otherwise. However, I have studied history, including slavery, prisoners of war, apartheid, human rights abuses and class oppression. See, I actually enrolled, attended, completed assignments and obtained high grades in college courses that studied these atrocities (and have subsequently read several books, articles, etc as well just to keep up on these subjects since completing my college degree). It's insulting to anyone in the history of the world who had been in an enslaved position to think that these entitled and highly paid individuals (who society has consistently provided free passes for or a lowering of the bar when it comes to our laws, socially acceptable behavior and education standards) compare their labor situations with the plights of the oppressed. Just because you have to work for a living (like 99% of the people around the globe) doesn't mean you have experienced or paralleled slavery.

Anyways, I love football and love the Steelers. Yes, every now and then I think certain opinions are best left undeclared. And I say that knowing I've stuck my foot in my mouth numerous times. Maybe they should have drawn a parallel between football players and gladiators.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
It's insulting to anyone in the history of the world who had been in an enslaved position to think that these entitled and highly paid individuals (who society has consistently provided free passes for or a lowering of the bar when it comes to our laws, socially acceptable behavior and education standards) compare their labor situations with the plights of the oppressed. .
i was gonna say the same thing , but with less words...
him trying to draw this comparison , is just as disgusting as kellen winslow and the rest of the dregs of society calling themselves "soulja''s"

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Well, folks, it is easy to hate on the players because they are more successful and make more money than us. But lets stop to think for a minute.....keep in mind, I am not taking either the owners' or players' side-- I know nothing about all this financial talk so am not qualified to have an opinion.

But I think some of yall are attacking this thing from the wrong angle....I detect a definite sense of "eating the rich". Let me make an analogy using my own life as an example....

--------------------------------------------------------------

I was recently informed by my boss (offline), that my promotion he put me in for this spring, was approved by our HR department (and there was much celebration at home!). Since being hired on in April 2008, I have gotten nothing except 4.0 or greater evals, have nothing but he utmost respect from all my coworkers, peers, customers, and superiors. I am the silent employee who never complains, but is currently leading his whole group (of about 14 people) in trouble-ticket closures, by a huge margin, and always willing to help out a coworker. When they want things done right, they assign it to me.

IOW, I am a model employee. It was pretty much a known fact among all my peers that my promotion was overdue by about a year and a half.

Today, my boss informed me that all promotions for our department were pulled for this review cycle. So I will remain a junior engineer for at least another 6 months.....

If I had a union, I would go on strike and decertify or whatever too (like I said, I am not up to speed on all the NFL financial mumbo-jumbo). I got screwed, with no KY or Vaseline. Hey, but at least our company has more money to spend on opening more manufacturing facilities in China and Taiwan though....

Case in point? I made in the vicinity of $65-70k last year, great benefits, stock options, retirement fund, etc. Nothing to brag about at all, but it is more than a LOT of people in the U.S. make in a year (more than anybody in my family ever made-- I came from a poor, rural Pennsylvania family). I am always thankful for the great job and all the other blessings I have, but make no mistake-- I AM PISSED OFF, and with good reason.

However, what do you think would happen if I went on Twitter and started complaining about my plight, knowing that a bunch of out-of-work farmers and midwesterners from Iowa would be reading my Tweets? I bet you, I would hear a lot of the same things Mendenhall is hearing from his jealous fans right now....."heck, I wouldn't be complaining if I were making that kind of money...."

Some of yall are bagging on the players because they make millions of dollars-- wrong reason. Keep in mind the next time you complain about the treatment you get from your employer, that there are millions of people in Africa that would gladly trade places with you and will feel no sympathy when you complain about how your employer treats you.

Are we to assume that anyone who makes more than $_____ per annuum cannot complain when their employer tries to give them the shaft? Where do we draw the line? What is the minimum salary that is required for your complaining/going-on-strike rights get revoked by the public opinion?
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
Corey120120 (01-10-2013)
Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

I'm not jealous of Mendy...ok, maybe a little, because I'd love to have that kind of money handed to me. But he is talented and he did work hard to get where he is today. I can respect that.

Saying what is happening parallels slavery though? Come on. Kirklandrules described it perfectly by saying that the comparison is extremely weak and that pretty much anyone who's ever had a job could make the same parallels (i.e. being "put up on the chopping block" when being evaluated for a job and during your job, bosses and owners making more than you do). That's about where the similarities end though.

I don't know what "big words" he would plan on using to justify making the comparison, but they wouldn't matter IMO. It was an ignorant, delusional thing to say. It'd be an ignorant, delusional thing for any normal American worker to say.

Quote:
Are we to assume that anyone who makes more than $_____ per annuum cannot complain when their employer tries to give them the shaft?
Of course not. But would you ever compare the situation you described as being parallel to slavery? To me, that just makes people feel even less sorry for you, no matter what amount of money you make.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote