Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #21
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASTEELER View Post
huh.........didnt realize slaves made millions of dollars
So tired of this slave bullshit! I'm a slave making f*ck!nG minimum wage driving these rich asses around!!! Spoinled bitches should have to get real jobs before they get into these millions and then bitch...
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #22
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

yeah.....if anybody are slaves....it us. The working-class.

This kind of talk is really making me hate on the players. They're turning out to act just like baseball players. Sad.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #23
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
The gladiators were slaves, last I checked. Keep reading your history, and you'll find a lot of exceptionally smart people making this same connection. As the source of all truth and light states:

And eventually, as I said earlier, the connection is made between "outright" slavery and any condition where one has little or no control over one's work, working conditions or product. That's demeaning, no matter how much money one is making.

There's a reason why studies have shown over and over again that managers almost always choose more power or higher earnings or greater efficiency. Workers don't tend to have that choice, though.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in675913.shtml

If the NFL players want to know what real slavery is about maybe they should ask some of the Eastern European strippers they're so fond at their local "Gentlemen's Club" to explain it to them.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #24
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
The gladiators were slaves, last I checked. Keep reading your history, and you'll find a lot of exceptionally smart people making this same connection.
First, yes a large number of gladiators were slaves. However, I made the assumption that the type of slavery that Peterson and Mendy were referencing was the home grown American slavery (my assumption was based on the pure idiocy of their comments being a basis they probably haven't cracked too many books to learn what forms slavery took throughout history). The weak correlation between the NFL and gladiators is that human beings were put through physical feats for entertainment ... something very rarely found amoung American slaves. However, Peterson was implying that he was a bound and imprisoned slave to an "owner". That's the biggest bunch of BS.

Quote:
As the source of all truth and light states:

And eventually, as I said earlier, the connection is made between "outright" slavery and any condition where one has little or no control over one's work, working conditions or product. That's demeaning, no matter how much money one is making.
What the hell are you talking about? NFL players have plenty of control over their work, working conditions and products. The greatest form of that control is their freedom to not perform that job any longer. Last time I checked, Peterson has the freedom to not play in the NFL. Don't tell me these guys are suddenly demeaned because they aren't getting more than $8 million a season and have to abide by rules. Besides, if you think this is an original thought by an NFL player, you're kidding yourself. This was a line inserted by an agent trying to cover for his moronic client.

Quote:
There's a reason why studies have shown over and over again that managers almost always choose more power or higher earnings or greater efficiency.
Of course manager will choose higher earnings and greater efficiency ... it's part of a winning formula within our capitalistic system. Are you implying our business decisions should be based on a quest for inefficiency and poor returns on investment?

Quote:
Workers don't tend to have that choice, though.
Workers have the most powerful choice of all ... they can choose to quit and go do something else.

Quick question for you: are you a commie?
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #25
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

mendenhall just droped a knotch in my book. anyone who makes over 6 million dollars a year playing a game and tries to compare that to slavery is retarded in my book
Old 03-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #26
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Slave comparison....hardly. Maybe a comparison to US Auto workers is closer.

Union environment, both make relatively good money and had good benefits. UAW employees had it so good that their benefits were crippling their employers ability to be competitve and profitable, so it all came tumbling down.

The NFL players have it so good that their employers think they are making more and demanding more than they deserve, so they have been locked out. The owners are nowhere near becoming bankrupt like the automakers though.

Many that lost their jobs in the auto industry had to find work somewhere else. The NFL players can do that in the Arena league or use their college educations to find gainful employment.......but we all know that wont be necessary because they either made more than the average man will in a lifetime, or will be back playing football in 6 months.

IMO if the NFLPA are being treated like slaves, so were the GM employees making $80/hour putting in windshields all day. That is just my opinion though.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #27
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Slave comparison....hardly. Maybe a comparison to US Auto workers is closer.

Union environment, both make relatively good money and had good benefits. UAW employees had it so good that their benefits were crippling their employers ability to be competitve and profitable, so it all came tumbling down.

The NFL players have it so good that their employers think they are making more and demanding more than they deserve, so they have been locked out. The owners are nowhere near becoming bankrupt like the automakers though.

Many that lost their jobs in the auto industry had to find work somewhere else. The NFL players can do that in the Arena league or use their college educations to find gainful employment.......but we all know that wont be necessary because they either made more than the average man will in a lifetime, or will be back playing football in 6 months.

IMO if the NFLPA are being treated like slaves, so were the GM employees making $80/hour putting in windshields all day. That is just my opinion though.
Auto workers don,t make $80 an hour. You've been listening to Andrew Ross Sorkin to much. As far as being treated like slaves they're no nor is an NFL player. Employees in both groups can walk away any time they want. Also the credit crunch hurt the auto makers both American and Japenese not the unions.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #28
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,376 Posts

In Mendenhall's defense, I think I've heard somebody complain that they were being treated like a slave at every job I've had. It's something people say, but most of us aren't famous and it doesn't matter what we say about our own jobs.

However, it is really offensive to hear some multi-millionaire draw parallels between his own situation and the situation of slaves.

Not to mention the problem of calling it "modern day slavery." I'm pretty sure the modern occupation we can mostly compare to slavery is in fact: modern day slavery. Let's not forget that even in this country there are people existing as slaves (sex slaves, child slaves). Chinese women escaping to what they thought would be better lives end up in forced labor in U.S. owned islands in the Pacific, forced to abort their babies and other horrible things.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #29
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

If Mendy were a slave he should have got 20 slashes for that fumble in the Super Bowl.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #30
steelcityboyz
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11344
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
If Mendy were a slave he should have got 20 slashes for that fumble in the Super Bowl.