Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #31
MaidenIndiana
Bench Warmer
 
MaidenIndiana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new castle, indiana
Posts: 211
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10557
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
My Mood: Twisted
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Mendenhall and Peterson both need to remember this old adage: It's better to be quiet and be thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt
MaidenIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #32
austinfrench76
Head Coach
 
austinfrench76's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,608
Member Number: 3516
Thanks: 762
Thanked 484 Times in 297 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IDIOT.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #33
harts
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 167
Member Number: 7323
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

nfl combine is really a modern day auction block if you look at it.
the players get up there they are measured, weighed, pulled, and prodded like animals and then they are "drafted" based on those numbers

looks like a parallel to me

players are also bought/sold/discarded at the wishes of the teams.

yes they make millions (Some of them) - cheered and loved (until they switch teams or make mistakes that cost games)

parallels?
absolutely

understanding and sympathy towards those parallels by the general public?
probably not gonna happen
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:42 AM   #34
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter
 
pete74's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,271
Member Number: 15921
Thanks: 90
Thanked 415 Times in 220 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
nfl combine is really a modern day auction block if you look at it.
the players get up there they are measured, weighed, pulled, and prodded like animals and then they are "drafted" based on those numbers

looks like a parallel to me

players are also bought/sold/discarded at the wishes of the teams.

yes they make millions (Some of them) - cheered and loved (until they switch teams or make mistakes that cost games)

parallels?
absolutely

understanding and sympathy towards those parallels by the general public?
probably not gonna happen
your insane
__________________
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #35
vasteeler
Team President
 
vasteeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: richmond va
Posts: 2,354
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3341
Thanks: 722
Thanked 1,013 Times in 406 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
your insane
you and i dont always see eye to eye, but this time.....spot on
vasteeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #36
Sixburgher
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 685
Member Number: 17648
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
nfl combine is really a modern day auction block if you look at it.
the players get up there they are measured, weighed, pulled, and prodded like animals and then they are "drafted" based on those numbers

looks like a parallel to me

players are also bought/sold/discarded at the wishes of the teams.

yes they make millions (Some of them) - cheered and loved (until they switch teams or make mistakes that cost games)

parallels?
absolutely

understanding and sympathy towards those parallels by the general public?
probably not gonna happen
Ridiculous. There are no parallels to be made between the two. Playing in the NFL = completely voluntary, and remunerated quite handsomely. Slavery = completely involuntary and unpaid. Get it?
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #37
TRH
Living Legend
 
TRH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 4,391
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17206
Thanks: 98
Thanked 222 Times in 155 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
nfl combine is really a modern day auction block if you look at it.
the players get up there they are measured, weighed, pulled, and prodded like animals and then they are "drafted" based on those numbers

looks like a parallel to me

players are also bought/sold/discarded at the wishes of the teams.

yes they make millions (Some of them) - cheered and loved (until they switch teams or make mistakes that cost games)

parallels?
absolutely

understanding and sympathy towards those parallels by the general public?
probably not gonna happen

thas completely ridiculous. I just lost 100 brain cells reading that.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #38
ricardisimo
Administrator
 
ricardisimo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lalaland
Posts: 5,420
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15369
Thanks: 313
Thanked 860 Times in 412 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
thas completely ridiculous. I just lost 100 brain cells reading that.
It's not ridiculous. He's right on the mark that there are parallels. Players are poked, prodded, weighed, measured, bought, sold and traded like cattle. And they have little if any recourse should they object to any of it. If they balk or complain about being traded to a wasteland like the Oakland or Cincinnati, they are labeled prima donnas by the fans and the media.

And that's just the commodity aspect to it. As workers, they have little control over their labor, their workplace or their product. Weenies like Goodell have taken that away completely, and it's only getting worse all the time. Just sit back and watch the arbitrary installation and enforcement of rules from here on out. When Polamalu suggested a panel of past and current players sit in on rules enforcement discussion, the resounding "NO!!" from New York was deafening. How dare he suggest that players have input in their own field!

Now, do they make a butt-load of money? Sure they do. That doesn't negate everything else. Also, it bears mentioning that the average NFL career is three-and-a-half years long, which is a rookie contract... which is precisely what the owners want to limit. Four years' worth of league minimum is less than I'm going to make in my career punching a clock.

Then they're screwed, not only because they are physically damaged when they leave, but because their focus has been singularly on football their entire lives, and their coaches have been complicit in this. That's why slimeballs like Tressel, Carroll, Kelly and probably just about every Division I head coach in the country should be fired immediately if their players don't get real degrees with real grades.

Which is off-topic. Sorry. There are parallels, and the money doesn't erase that fact.
__________________
Why does God hate amputees?
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #39
DanRooney
Head Coach
 
DanRooney's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 1,799
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16248
Thanks: 2
Thanked 125 Times in 87 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

They also back each other's ability to fumble at the worst opportune times.
__________________
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #40
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter
 
pete74's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,271
Member Number: 15921
Thanks: 90
Thanked 415 Times in 220 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
It's not ridiculous. He's right on the mark that there are parallels. Players are poked, prodded, weighed, measured, bought, sold and traded like cattle. And they have little if any recourse should they object to any of it. If they balk or complain about being traded to a wasteland like the Oakland or Cincinnati, they are labeled prima donnas by the fans and the media.

And that's just the commodity aspect to it. As workers, they have little control over their labor, their workplace or their product. Weenies like Goodell have taken that away completely, and it's only getting worse all the time. Just sit back and watch the arbitrary installation and enforcement of rules from here on out. When Polamalu suggested a panel of past and current players sit in on rules enforcement discussion, the resounding "NO!!" from New York was deafening. How dare he suggest that players have input in their own field!

Now, do they make a butt-load of money? Sure they do. That doesn't negate everything else. Also, it bears mentioning that the average NFL career is three-and-a-half years long, which is a rookie contract... which is precisely what the owners want to limit. Four years' worth of league minimum is less than I'm going to make in my career punching a clock.

Then they're screwed, not only because they are physically damaged when they leave, but because their focus has been singularly on football their entire lives, and their coaches have been complicit in this. That's why slimeballs like Tressel, Carroll, Kelly and probably just about every Division I head coach in the country should be fired immediately if their players don't get real degrees with real grades.

Which is off-topic. Sorry. There are parallels, and the money doesn't erase that fact.
come on, they have a choice and thats all that matters here. they choose to do this. nobody makes them. they dream and work there entire lives to be were they are and nothing is a surprise
__________________
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts