Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Would the Steelers Avoid Aaron Williams Because of Limas Sweed and Tony Hills?

Would the Steelers Avoid Aaron Williams Because of Limas Sweed and Tony Hills?
Posted on April 5, 2011 by adam
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/0...-tony-hills-2/

At the bottom of his Sunday notebook in the Post-Gazette, Ed Bouchette asked if the lack of success from former Texas Longhorns Tony Hills and Limas Sweed would make the Steelers hesitate to use a top draft pick on cornerbacks Aaron Williams or Curtis Brown, two players that also spent their college days in Austin.

From Bouchette…

But even if Harris is gone and it looks as though Williams is the obvious choice, would the Steelers hesitate because of their experience with Longhorns?

Two Longhorns drafted by them in the 2008 season have done little in three seasons — wide receiver Limas Sweed, their second-round pick, and tackle Tony Hills, drafted on the fourth round.

They have had great success with Casey Hampton, but he came from a different Texas culture when they drafted him in the first round in 2001. Another veteran Texas player, Jonathan Scott, helped save them at left tackle last season.

Vince Young also has been a major disappointment in the NFL and it has prompted many to wonder if there is not a certain culture that has enveloped the Texas program that inhibits some Longhorns as pros.

At first glance the idea that the success or failure of past players would alter a teams draft strategy seems a little silly. Aaron Williams should be judged and picked (or not picked) based only on the merits of Aaron Williams. The development of a past player from the same school shouldn’t have anything to do with the development of another player. They’re different players and different people with different personalities and different motivations.

Look at this way: should the Steelers have selected Lawrence Timmons in the first round of the 2007 draft after they received nothing from past Florida State players Willie Reid and Alonzo Jackson? Should the Steelers take whatever defensive lineman from BYU is available because Brett Keisel and Chris Hoke have been success stories in the NFL? Does any of this matter? Whether or not it’s a legitimate reason to avoid a player it’s clearly on the mind of fans and media at this time of year. Just look at how long running backs from Penn State were viewed (and still are viewed) as poison in the draft because Blair Thomas, Ki-Jana Carter and Curtis Enis were complete flops in the NFL.

The issue that Bouchette points out, and one that was repeated by the folks at Pro Football Talk when they passed along the story, is the “culture” (soft and pampered, as PFT put it) at Texas and whether or not it hurts some of their prospects once they turn pro. The Longhorns put a ton of players into the NFL (since 2000 they’ve averaged between five and six new players per year); some of them turn out to be productive players, others do not.

If we’re going to hold past Texas players and the culture against Williams and Brown, it might make more sense (and even this isn’t perfect) to not look at Hills and Sweed, but to instead look at what impact (if any) it’s had on other Texas defensive backs. Going back to 2004, for example, the Longhorns produced the following defensive backs: Earl Thomas, Tarrell Brown, Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Cedric Griffin, Michael Huff, Nathan Vasher. Some good, some bad.

At the end of the day the decision should come down to Williams and Brown and whether or not they’re worthy picks. The Steelers sent their entire defensive coaching staff to Texas’ pro day, and it’s unlikely they would do that if they didn’t like what they saw from these guys on film and wanted to learn more about them and get an up close look at them and legitimately consider them.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 3,313 Times in 1,431 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Would the Steelers Avoid Aaron Williams Because of Limas Sweed and Tony Hills?

Thats kinda why i dont want the steelers to draft no one from texas lol
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648
Default Re: Would the Steelers Avoid Aaron Williams Because of Limas Sweed and Tony Hills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
So you would've passed on Earl Thomas last year or Jamaal Charles in 2008? Considering how many players Texas puts in the NFL year after year, they're going to have their share of busts.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
Mean Joe was from Texas.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,139 Times in 542 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Mean Joe was from Texas.
Yeah but I think he means from the university specifically lol.

I'm pretty sure Mean Joe didn't go to the university of Texas.

I wouldn't pass on him because of Limas, but at the same time I don't think he's a great pick at 31 either. If Brandon Harris is there I'd much rather have him, and if he's not I'd go Oline if a guy like Sherrod is there.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
fujirama24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18332
My Mood: Crappy

Casey hampton is from texas
fujirama24 is offline   Reply With Quote