Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Under-the-Radar Diamonds in the Rough…

Under-the-Radar Diamonds in the Rough…
Posted on April 26, 2011 by ryan
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/0...iamonds-rough/
…and any other draft-related cliches you can think of

At this point, two days out from the draft, we pretty much know what to expect. The Steelers have primary needs along the offensive line and in the secondary, and there’s a good chance they’ll address one of them with the 31st pick.

There’s also the possibility that, because of the depth at defensive line, Pittsburgh could grab a defensive end at the bottom of the first round. Whatever, by Friday night some combination of OL, DB, and DL will likely populate the Steelers’ first three draft slots.

Aaron Williams, Brandon Harris, Derek Sherrod, Nate Solder, Cameron Heyward — all names we’re familiar with at this point. But what about the lesser known, Day 3 possibilities, the guys we would only know about because we’re related to them? Like most draft fanatics who don’t actually watch hours of tape to form opinions, but instead rely on the insight of others to educate us (like our good buddy, Doug Farrar, for example), I’m well versed in the top 100 or so players. But after that, I got nothing.

For example, I didn’t know Manny Sanders from Manny Delgado when the Steelers drafted him in the third round last year. And I didn’t learn Antonio Brown’s name until midway through training camp. So what are some of the players to know who might interest the Steelers this weekend?

Glad I posed that rhetorical question for you…

1. Davon House, CB, New Mexico St. Most mock drafts have House going off the board by the end of the second round, so it’s not like he’s Ike Taylor, discovered (!) by Dave-Te’ Thomas. But with all the talk about the top-5 CBs, including names like Williams and Harris who might be Steelers’ favorites at 1.31, there hasn’t been any mention of House. Farrar called him “Jimmy Smith lite” on the podcast last week, and ranks him as his No. 57 prospect:

“The primary question for House, as it has been for defensive backs from smaller schools and programs for a long time, is how will he adjust to what might be a steeper learning curve when it comes to facing NFL quarterbacks and passing offenses? By his senior season, House was being avoided by every enemy quarterback and still picked off four passes in 2010. He has the versatility to play man and zone coverage, but what does the tape tell us in an isolated sense about his NFL-ready skill set?”

Anytime I hear “small school” the nightmarish visions of Ricardo Colclough subconsciously kick in. But Ike’s from a small school, too; there are happy endings involving guys who didn’t attend BCS programs.

That aside, House appears to have the physical skills the Steelers like but doesn’t have the experience or exposure to immediately step into a sub-package role. But that’s been the case with virtually every defensive back drafted in recent years (obvious, and possibly ironic exeptions: B-Mac and William Gay). Farrar does notes that “House may [struggle in the NFL] when faced with more advanced angles and routes, though it’s his ability to play zone and cover big spaces that could see him through.”

For what it’s worth, CBSSports.com’s Chad Reuter has the Steelers drafting House at 2.63.

I saw a headline the other day that a “rogue former NFL scout called Jake Locker the next Brett Favre.” (My thoughts immediately turned to dick jokes because, well, that’s what Favre’s career has come to represent. This is what happens when you fake retire so often that people start marking their calendars in anticipation for the next one. Allegedly texting pictures of your junk to female team employees doesn’t help, either.) I didn’t think much of it at the time because the internet was built on people making outrageous claims, most of whom can’t (nor plan to) back them up.

Well, I finally got around to reading Michael Silver’s column about said rogue scout Dave Razzano and once you cut through all the crazy, the dude sounds legit. (Part of that legitimacy comes from admitting his mistakes — like calling Aaron Rodgers a “mid-round value” back in 2005 — as well as identifying talented players that everybody else missed, like undrafted free agents Wes Welker and Davone Bess.)

Which brings me to this…

2. Jurell Casey, NT, USC. Casey declared for the draft after his junior season. According to NFLDraftScout.com he’s rated as the 11th best DT and is projected to go in the third round. I’ll be honest: until today I never heard of the guy. Here’s what Razzano said about him:

“There’s a defensive tackle at USC named Jurrell Casey, and he’s the protypical nose [tackle],” Razzano said. “He’s like another Michael Carter, who we got in the fifth round in San Francisco – one of the all-time steals. I see he’s rated as the ninth-best defensive tackle. If they do a [mock] re-draft in a few years, he’ll be a top-seven pick.

… I’m telling you, it’s [like the Pittsburgh Steelers’] Casey Hampton. He has short-area quickness and enough of a motor to satisfy me. You have to realize, defensive linemen don’t all have great work ethic. That’s why they’re big. But [Jurrell Casey’s] a naturally explosive guy, and they’re hard to find.”

Casey is listed at 6-1, 300, which sounds sorta light in the pants for a Steelers nose tackle. But as Razzano told Silver, part of the problem with evaluating players is that coaches and scouts fall in love with measurables to the point that they let it affect what their eyes are telling them. “The bottom line is, you have to trust the tape,” Razzano implores.

And then he turns the conversation to a couple under-the-radar wideouts he’s big on: Hawaii’s Greg Salas and San Diego State’s Vincent Brown.

And wouldn’t you know it, Brown has paid a visit to the South Side this spring (see all the player visits here). NFLDS.com rates Sales as the No. 10 wideout, and Brown at No. 14, and projects that they will be drafted in rounds 3-5.

Of course, none of this matters if the teams in front of the Steelers don’t cooperate. But if history is any guide, there should be plenty of names to choose from at the bottom of each round. And who knows, maybe some of players mentioned above will end up in Pittsburgh. For now, feel free to add other under-the-radar names in the comments.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Re: Under-the-Radar Diamonds in the Rough…

How about

Mario Harvey, ILB, Height: 6-0. Weight: 257 4.43 40 yard dash Wow speed and good strength 27 reps at benchpress. Ran like a receiver according to some scouts.

Weslye Saunders, TE character and health concerns but when on his game real good hands for a big man.
could be worth a 7th round pick.

Anthony Gray, DT/NT, Southern Mississippi Height: 6-0. Weight: 330. 39 reps bench press of 225lbs
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
How about

Mario Harvey, ILB, Height: 6-0. Weight: 257 4.43 40 yard dash Wow speed and good strength 27 reps at benchpress. Ran like a receiver according to some scouts.

Weslye Saunders, TE character and health concerns but when on his game real good hands for a big man.
could be worth a 7th round pick.

Anthony Gray, DT/NT, Southern Mississippi Height: 6-0. Weight: 330. 39 reps bench press of 225lbs
I really have liked what i have heard about him. A good mid draft pick up IMO
Wallabeast17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
rangerman
Water Boy

Member Number: 18371

our lastest mock has him being picked in the later rounds to us
rangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Navy86
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18326

No to Vincent Brown. We don't need yet ANOTHER sub-6' WR. We've got plenty of those.
Navy86 is offline   Reply With Quote