Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Wexell's twittering he's hearing "good" things about resigning Taylor

@jimwexell James C Wexell
http://twitter.com/#!/jimwexell/stat...22650347323392
.@jem77pmc I'm hearing good things today about the chances of re-signing Ike. That's all I've got for you. Sorry to leave it short.

(I wonder how much we will have to overpay old "hands of stone" Taylor to keep him. That will be quite a cap hit, assuming there is a cap, to keep an old and less than elite CB. Given the sad state of our secondary Taylor can demand top tier money even though he's not worth it. Taylor's agent must be licking his chops over how much he's going to hold up the Steelers for. Another nice job of planning by our FO. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,276
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 1,954
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,831 Posts
Default Re: Wexell's twittering he's hearing "good" things about resigning Taylor

I know there is a lot of angst about not taking a CB in the first round, but it is not as if the Steelers passed on the equivalent of Darelle Reavis, Deion Sanders, and Mel Blount with the 31st pick the other night

Steelers would need to re-sign Taylor even if they had struck gold at CB the other night

Taylor is a good but not elite CB - good but not elite draws a lot of $$ these days on the NFL open market - to make budget for Taylor I would not be surprised to see no effort to bring back Colon and for Aaron Smith to be "requested" to take a haircut on the last year of his contract

In terms of big $$ contracts, the looming issue is whether to sign Timmons or Woodley to long term deals after 2011 - Steelers cannot afford both unless Harrison is gone after 2011
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
PhantomJB93
Team President
 
PhantomJB93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 2,029
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13907
Thanks: 424
Thanked 939 Times in 459 Posts
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Wexell's twittering he's hearing "good" things about resigning Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I know there is a lot of angst about not taking a CB in the first round, but it is not as if the Steelers passed on the equivalent of Darelle Reavis, Deion Sanders, and Mel Blount with the 31st pick the other night

Steelers would need to re-sign Taylor even if they had struck gold at CB the other night

Taylor is a good but not elite CB - good but not elite draws a lot of $$ these days on the NFL open market - to make budget for Taylor I would not be surprised to see no effort to bring back Colon and for Aaron Smith to be "requested" to take a haircut on the last year of his contract

In terms of big $$ contracts, the looming issue is whether to sign Timmons or Woodley to long term deals after 2011 - Steelers cannot afford both unless Harrison is gone after 2011
I think the Woodley/Timmons situation depends on Harrison's 2011 season. Coming off back surgery, if he shows any signs of slowing down or nagging back injuries, I think that he could very well be gone, as much as we would all hate to see him go. Big picture, I'd rather have both Timmonsand Woodley and let Worilds try his hand than let one of those two guys go to have the aging Harrison for another couple seasons before he retires or loses a step.

The thought of seeing Harrison in another uniform scares me though.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer
 
Farrior_roirraW's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 222
Member Number: 12978
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Wexell's twittering he's hearing "good" things about resigning Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I think the Woodley/Timmons situation depends on Harrison's 2011 season. Coming off back surgery, if he shows any signs of slowing down or nagging back injuries, I think that he could very well be gone, as much as we would all hate to see him go. Big picture, I'd rather have both Timmonsand Woodley and let Worilds try his hand than let one of those two guys go to have the aging Harrison for another couple seasons before he retires or loses a step.

The thought of seeing Harrison in another uniform scares me though.


Tbh, I don't see how Harrison is a Steeler after the next two years (whether they play in 2011 or not)...
__________________

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
sexyllama
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 168
Member Number: 18213
Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Wexell's twittering he's hearing "good" things about resigning Taylor

Can any team actually sign anyone? Didn't the appeals court put a hold on the lower court ruling?

Signing Ike would be great but how can they even being talking?

Llama
sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,276
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 1,954
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,831 Posts
Default Re: Wexell's twittering he's hearing "good" things about resigning Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
Can any team actually sign anyone? Didn't the appeals court put a hold on the lower court ruling?

Signing Ike would be great but how can they even being talking?

Llama
They cannot sign anyone at this moment - if the emergency stay entered by the 8th Circuit is not extended free agency could start by the end of next week

But my guess is there will be a FA period prior to whenever the season starts - we all know agents and teams are talking now, just as there are talks prior to the official start date for free agency and someone signs a new deal within 6 hours of when the FA signing period opens for business in a normal year
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
sexyllama
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 168
Member Number: 18213
Thanks: 11
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Wexell's twittering he's hearing "good" things about resigning Taylor

Hahah... I never thought about that but I guess it's completely legal to talk to an agent since they are not directly talking to the player.

Llama
sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,276
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 1,954
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,831 Posts
Default Re: Wexell's twittering he's hearing "good" things about resigning Taylor

Ed. B. of the P-G apparently is talking to some of the same folks Wexell is

One thing that was confirmed to me over the weekend is that the Steelers are convinced they will re-sign Ike Taylor. I’ve said all along I thought Taylor would sign back and that he wanted to and they felt he would return. That conviction was solidified after talking to some people this weekend.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ed-now-we-wait
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer
 
Farrior_roirraW's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 222
Member Number: 12978
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Wexell's twittering he's hearing "good" things about resigning Taylor

This sounds promising.
__________________

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
GMU Steeler
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,935
Member Number: 16173
Thanks: 43
Thanked 745 Times in 412 Posts
Default Re: Wexell's twittering he's hearing "good" things about resigning Taylor

Hope it gets done. Would hate to lose him.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts