Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #31
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392
Default Re: Disappearing Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post

I have a feeling that if we had taken a CB with our first pick, llama would have been whining because Heyward was there and we didn't take him.
Hey, Wallace 108. How you doin' man? I have to agree with you. some people just like to bitch. I'm not always happy with their choices, but it's their money and they a lot more info on these player than I do. I can only go by what I sometimes see in person and on tv. All I can say is they must know something 3 Super Bowl apperances and 2 titles in 5 years.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #32
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18213

No offense but I follow all the top 20 College teams as I bet tens of thousands on them. Won big money on Texas vs USC a few years back and they are an easy bet with a spread offense and great D.

Curtis Brown is okay and considered pretty soft.

3-5 teams ran like 300-400 yards on them in a game. He's not a very great tackler (although losing the safeties hurt a lot)

Texas blitzes a lot leaving single coverage and he was burned for a lot. Texas also gave up a couple 300 or 400 yard passing games. He was the Texas "mcfadden"

Also, he's has horrible hands 1 interception per year. He was also blamed for losing the Rice game and one other because he fumbled Punt Returns and gave the other team an easy touchdown.

He was later pulled off Special Teams because of all the fumbling catches.

Anyway, look it up on the Internet. I'm sure one of the games will be 280 yards and someone will say I'm full of shit but whatever...

Llama

Yes, I watch a lot of college football and watching Texas drop a bomb was sad.
sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #33
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
No offense but I follow all the top 20 College teams as I bet tens of thousands on them. Won big money on Texas vs USC a few years back and they are an easy bet with a spread offense and great D.

3-5 teams ran like 300-400 yards on them in a game. He's not a very great tackler (although losing the safeties hurt a lot)

Texas blitzes a lot leaving single coverage and he was burned for a lot. Texas also gave up a couple 300 or 400 yard passing games. He was the Texas "mcfadden"

Also, he's has horrible hands 1 interception per year. He was also blamed for losing the Rice game and one other because he fumbled Punt Returns and gave the other team an easy touchdown.

Anyway, look it up on the Internet. I'm sure one of the games will be 280 yards and someone will say I'm full of shit but whatever...

Llama

You sound more and more like a total toolbag with each post

Please tell us how much time you spend working out and what kind of SUV you drive!

finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #34
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,871 Times in 1,260 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Horrible Hands?? did you not see his combine he did amazing catches and players make mistakes. Like you making a mistakes saying he has horrible hands
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #35
fuzzy159
Water Boy

Member Number: 18380

Quote:

Llama

Curtis needs to add strength.

He does not have horrible hands lol. A lot of draft analysts say he has some of the best hands out of all of the corners in the draft but that isn't really saying much.

Just because your INT total is low doesn't really mean you can't catch either. He wasn't thrown at that often.

Everyone gets burned now and then too, even Revis and Nnamdi.

You can always get stronger but covering is a unique skill that a lot of corners don't and never will possess. Brown is great in man coverage.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #36
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRick View Post
Hey, Wallace 108. How you doin' man? I have to agree with you. some people just like to bitch. I'm not always happy with their choices, but it's their money and they a lot more info on these player than I do. I can only go by what I sometimes see in person and on tv. All I can say is they must know something 3 Super Bowl apperances and 2 titles in 5 years.
What's up Rick?

I agree. The Steelers have a damn good track record in the draft. I think I'll trust them.

Quote:

Llama

Strengths:
• Ideal height and adequate bulk along w/ long arms
• Terrific speed and has a burst to close and recover
• Athletic with great quickness, agility and balance
• Displays fluid hips and nimble feet to transition
• Soft hands with great ball skills and body control
• Has excellent instincts, awareness and anticipation
• Is tough, physical, aggressive and very confident
• Will come up and get solid jam at line of scrimmage
• Capable of excelling in either man or zone coverage
• A willing tackler who will support against the run
• Will be able to contribute readily on special teams
• Durable w/ lots of experience versus top competition

Weaknesses:
• Frame is kind of slight with a thin lower body (can work on that)
• Didn’t make a lot of impact plays in coverage (we don't need him to make impact plays ... just cover the receiver)
• Isn’t a powerful hitter or much of a intimidator (we have plenty of those ... just cover the receiver)
• Not real strong and some trouble disengaging (this can be fixed)
• Struggled at times with cleanly fielding punts (we don't need him to field punts)
Old 04-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #37
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Yes, Wallace- he's soft. Exactly what I said. He basically was opposite side of Aaron Williams much like being the opposite side of Ike Taylor. He was picked on consistently, I bet on OK STATE and was highly rewarded.

I'll completely 100% give you that the Steelers can draft well in all the other positions but there CB scouts blow. I posted many times that Heyward and Gilbert will be good (although I'm suspect of the 11th DE... THE 11 DE being the uncovered GEM that 29 other teams missed but the DE's / LB's we draft are good)

Name one CB that Tomlin has drafted that has contributed?
Name one CB that Tomlin has drafted that has made any significant play?
Maybe, Carnel Lake will pull a Kugs and get any of the CB's moving forward but I'm pretty doubtful given the last 3 years of reverse in terms of developing CB's
I said a joke a while ago, it seems that other teams develop CB's quickly and our have to go through some kind of JEDI KNIGHT apprenticeship.

Llama
To summarize, I don't think we'd did enough to stop an Elite passing team. I'm not worried about the Brownies or Ravens.

To finesward, yeah, I'm a toolbag because I present facts about players and I don't like our Pass Defense. BTW, I drive a 2008 BMW M3 Coupe so go **** off little man.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #38
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Yes, Wallace- he's soft. Exactly what I said. He basically was opposite side of Aaron Williams much like being the opposite side of Ike Taylor. He was picked on consistently, I bet on OK STATE and was highly rewarded.

I'll completely 100% give you that the Steelers can draft well in all the other positions but there CB scouts blow. I posted many times that Heyward and Gilbert will be good (although I'm suspect of the 11th DE... THE 11 DE being the uncovered GEM that 29 other teams missed but the DE's / LB's we draft are good)

Name one CB that Tomlin has drafted that has contributed?
Name one CB that Tomlin has drafted that has made any significant play?
Maybe, Carnel Lake will pull a Kugs and get any of the CB's moving forward but I'm pretty doubtful given the last 3 years of reverse in terms of developing CB's
I said a joke a while ago, it seems that other teams develop CB's quickly and our have to go through some kind of JEDI KNIGHT apprenticeship.

Llama
To summarize, I don't think we'd did enough to stop an Elite passing team. I'm not worried about the Brownies or Ravens.

To finesward, yeah, I'm a toolbag because I present facts about players and I don't like our Pass Defense. BTW, I drive a 2008 BMW M3 Coupe so go **** off little man.
I'll agree with you that the secondary, much like the O-line before Pouncey, has been ignored for far too long. But that's not an excuse to reach for a CB the quality of which they can get with a later pick.

Here's Carnell Lake's opinion on the Brown pick:

Quote:
Surprisingly, new Steelers secondary coach Carnell Lake said Brown was the more polished of the three Texas cornerback prospects in this draft.

"Probably the best cover corner coming out" of Texas, Lake said. "Aaron Williams was the first [Texas] corner taken. Aaron's bigger, but we thought he was more of a safety.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11120...#ixzz1L2GMO05Y
We don't need a big playmaker at corner. We already have a lot of impact guys on the defense. We need a corner who can cover. And they obviously thought Brown was just as good as the guys they could have selected with their first-round pick.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #39
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

BTW- I'm summarizing this thread for those of you who simply post non-sense that doesn't have anything to do what I've been posting about.

*I* (being me; if you don't like it then post some facts) don't think we did enough in the draft to stop the Elite passing teams from spreading us out, throwing quickly, and picking on our "less-than-average" 2nd, 3rd, and 4th corner. That was my only argument that I presented with facts.

There are only a few teams like that but we'll have to beat them to play/win the Super Bowl.

I didn't rape your sister or kill your dog.

Llama
Old 04-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #40
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
I'll agree with you that the secondary, much like the O-line before Pouncey, has been ignored for far too long. But that's not an excuse to reach for a CB the quality of which they can get with a later pick.

Here's Carnell Lake's opinion on the Brown pick:
We don't need a big playmaker at corner. We already have a lot of impact guys on the defense. We need a corner who can cover. And they obviously thought Brown was just as good as the guys they could have selected with their first-round pick.

1. I agree with where you are going but I don't think RasDowling would have been a reach at 31. (we could have moved up for a 4th and 1st swap to 26-27 to get Smith. I know the Steelers are avoiding character issues but with the locker room we have I think Smith would have been fine. Aaron Williams and Dowling went 34-35?

-maybe they don't think Aaron Smith will recover ... hmm...

2. I think with coaching he maybe an okay Slot but we'll see. I haven't seen to many 3-7th rounders become insane Cover men.. but we have new coaches.

My line of thinking is that we needed some guys who could cover yesterday. (The GB Superbowl would have been nice) and I don't see either of those guys coming in immediately and helping. Maybe Lake pulls a Kugs and they are lights out but after 2-3 years of watching our CB development I'm suspect.

Llama