Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,248 Times in 522 Posts
Default Re: Another OLB

I heard Tom Brady lacked arm strength and lacked in every credential category to translate into a NFL QB.

Who gives a rats ass what these so-called experts say about these guys when breaking them down. All of these men need work, they are young kids yet to experience what football is all about at being a true professional when it comes to what you do to your body, the vigorus workouts & the systems and technique they will be taught at an expertise level.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,026 Times in 412 Posts

Quan Sturdivant
Strengths:
Sturdivant is a rangy 'backer with good speed. Reads quickly, fills fast and shows the ability to blow up run plays in the backfield. Drops smoothly in coverage and is athletic enough to stick with backs and tight ends in man coverage. Solid tackler that consistently wraps the ball carrier.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the strength to take on blockers, struggles to shed quickly and gets lost in traffic too often. Over-aggressive at times and is vulnerable to play fakes. Struggles to break down ball carriers in space. Inconsistent motor prevents him from getting to the quarterback when blitzing. Has some character concerns.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #13
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelManiac55 View Post
How did they reach for a guy that was projected by some to be a third round pick?
Fair enough. I say "reach" because he is so fully used to being a
down DE and odds are he will never be able to learn to play in
space, meaning, he is unlikely to stick. I mean, everything I have
read says he has no clue how to do anything but simply rush the
passer, and no way can you get away with just doing that as a LB
in our 3-4 system.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18213

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt the LB scouts and coaches on the Steelers.

All of these kids past the 2nd are pretty much projects but I like the Steelers in regards to the LB projects.

Llama
sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #15
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Fair enough. I say "reach" because he is so fully used to being a
down DE and odds are he will never be able to learn to play in
space, meaning, he is unlikely to stick. I mean, everything I have
read says he has no clue how to do anything but simply rush the
passer, and no way can you get away with just doing that as a LB
in our 3-4 system.
You simply won't find out until you put him in a coachable position at the NFL level and let him work out the kinks of what we see in him, which is a potential pass-rusher and special teams contributor. The whole reason for an entire coaching staff, top to bottom, is to develop these guys. These kids are green right now and probably can't do the things right now that they are capable of doing in the NFL when taught.

You read a lot now but just because he "lacks to play in space" now doesn't necc mean he never will eventually when put in the right position by his coach's and learn from the players around him. What better defensive minded team could he go to than Pittsburgh? We know what we are doing.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

Once again people pick on the Steelers late draft picks. This team is still LOADED and anyone who is picked up past the 3rd or 4th round will probably be gone or on a practice squad this year. If they don't get this stupid CBA under control, there is not one rookie in this league that will be ready to play when the season starts. If they can get Taylor re-signed, the Steelers are better than most teams out there with the players they already have. the first three picks were solid picks. 4th round is always a tossup. Anyone that is good past that is just gravy in a draft any way.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #17
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Once again people pick on the Steelers late draft picks. This team is still LOADED and anyone who is picked up past the 3rd or 4th round will probably be gone or on a practice squad this year. If they don't get this stupid CBA under control, there is not one rookie in this league that will be ready to play when the season starts. If they can get Taylor re-signed, the Steelers are better than most teams out there with the players they already have. the first three picks were solid picks. 4th round is always a tossup. Anyone that is good past that is just gravy in a draft any way.
Good post. Well said.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

This vid of Chris Carter on youtube reminds me a lot of James Harrison.... Who Knows. He does have great burst onto the QB and brings him down fast and violently.

Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #19
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
This vid of Chris Carter on youtube reminds me a lot of James Harrison.... Who Knows. He does have great burst onto the QB and brings him down fast and violently.

I noticed that as well. In every single video I see of him, his motor is constantly running, he explodes off the ball, uses his body with a nice technique and most importantly, tackles with aggression and the manor to hurt his opponents. Looks solid to me. Hopefully his aggression carries on over to the next level.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
SwannWorth88
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18382

No real complaints here. We are deep at WR. At some point we need to come up with a decent back up to Troy at Safety, because when he's out, we've got issues. And he seems to be becoming an injury risk every year.

And we're not going to find that this late in the draft.
SwannWorth88 is offline   Reply With Quote