Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #61
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329
Default Re: Who do you want on day 2 of the draft?

You seem to be forgetting that losing that SB had as much to do (if not more) with what we did or didn't do on offense as opposed to what GB did. We were 100% in that game with momentum until the fumble.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #62
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
Amazing.

MY BS complaint is that our DB's are shit and they are the most pressing need? Seriously, I don't make sense? 90% of the media and football analyst say we are razor-thin at CB and I'm crazy? Okay...

Our downfall for the last TWO years has been accurate QB's that spread us out. Remember the year we didn't make the playoffs? Sure we were off but our pass Defense got bombed. Last year, we got lucky and didn't face a good passing team until the SB then "Bam!" GB followed Belisucks plan to a capital T. Spread us out and hit the slot for 5-10 yards a pop.

As for our picks- find my post where I said Heyward or Gilbert suck? Nope, wrong ****ing again.
I said for a team that has nothing at CB, we really didn't address it well.

I'm a little suspect that the 11th... THE 11th DE is going to be the best DE in the first round and that nobody else noticed he was THAT GOOD. But, you have to go with our LB/DE scouts because they are the best. After what Kugs did with the line, I'd argue Gilbert will probably start because he actually worked miracles last year and coached up some average OL's to actually compete.

Now, onto the DB's:

MINUSES
0. Taylor, Madison, Mundy, and Gay are all UFA's. I don't people even realize that.
1. You know since Tomlin has taken over we HAVE NOT developed one CB?
2. The current DB's that won the Superbowl were all from Cowher
3. Our old backfield coach never did anything close to what Kugs did last year. Come on man, you remember every play Gay and Mundy were in, it was a ****ing slaughter. The only thing that saved us were a lot of bad QB throws. Oh and Ben bailing us out with that insane Hail Mary.
4. As I said in another post, Curtis Brown was basically the Texas McFadden. I bet 10s of thousand on College Football and I know the Top 20 teams inside and out. Texas gave up several 300-400 yard rushing games, several 300-400 passing games. Look up what Oklahoma St. did to the guy.
5. Past the 2nd Round *almost* all of these guys are projects except punters and kickers : 0
6. After the above facts, is it that hard to make sense that we still have a big hole in our Defensive Backfield
7. It's not hard to imagine Troy P. getting hurt for a few games NOW look at our DB's without him.

PLUSES
1. Tomlin and Lake actually coach any of the DB's to play, we'll see. Hey, Kugs did it in a year...Maybe..
2. Maybe, we had a plan to grab some DB's through Free Agency. Granted, the Steelers don't but they have made an exception when good players are available and we have a need.

Llama
All your doing is repeating what the OBVIOUS weakness is and what everyone has been talking about since the beginning of last season about our DB's becoming FAs. You've offered absolutely nothing in analysis as to what we could do to address the situation besides tanking our draft and trading up to gamble on a CB because we could be thin at the position this season if none of our CB's resign or injuries, etc.. That's what makes no sense, because that's not how the Steelers operate, they didn't panic and start reaching for lineman when they lost faneca, they just plugged in players, kept the expectations high and the world hasn't ended has it?
CB and OL are similar in our systems in that if the rest of the players around them do their jobs it becomes less important for them to have elite starting skills. A big part of the DB's getting abused last year was the pressure not getting to the QB late in the season. No team is going to have 3-4 CB's that can shadow their receiver if the LB's and DL is not doing their job and pressuring the QB.

And betting tens of thousands means jack shit when it comes to qualifications for your draft analysis. It just means that you have loads of money to blow gambling
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #63
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878

The Steelers 5th pick in the 2011 draft is Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State
Old 04-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #64
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

Wouldn't be a Steelers draft without an OLB.

He had a 3rd or 4th round grade so Im not surprised we picked him. But with Jerrell Powe still on the board I would have preferred we went NT here and addressed OLB in the 6th or 7th if we had to.

Two picks left, who do you want? I'm hoping for Mark Herzlich, Jerrell Powe, Da'Rel Scott, or Henry Hynoski
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #65
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18213

I bet we grab that punter / kicker from Nebraska.
sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #66
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
I bet we grab that punter / kicker from Nebraska.
He was drafted 2 hours ago by the Eagles.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #67
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

In the 4th ROUND? Wow... I didn't think anybody except Oakland did shit like that. I thought he was good but not 4th round...

Llama
Old 04-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #68
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Man, I hate the Patriots but they really drafted some good players.

Vereen is really underated.
Mallet will develop well for them.
Canon obviously had some issues sliding so much but good for a 5th pick.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #69
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,146 Times in 475 Posts

Could potentially go another OG, RB or maybe even T.E in round 6 or 7. Behind Heath, we practically don't got ANYBODY. Spaeth worked out in some key situations, but you know we love to come out in multiple T.E sets and he is absolutely ATROCIOUS as a run blocker.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #70
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Yeah, great strategy because we lost and they kept scoring. Remember, he didn't stop Warner either. We one because of Big Ben not the pass D. And the same spread is what Belisuck has pioneered to beat us.
If you're going up against Kurt Warner, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady, aka HOF quarterbacks and expected to hold them to 180 yards passing and 14 points, you're crazy. And btw, we did get a pick 6 against Warner and a fumble; AND, we won. Seems to me like the strategy worked pretty well against the Cardinals.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote