Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Default Fourth-round corner Allen's pedigree mirrors Ike Taylor's

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_734883.html
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 1, 2011

A fourth-round pick with good size but little experience from a nontraditional football school? It worked out well for the Steelers before.

Eight years ago, they drafted cornerback Ike Taylor in the fourth round (124th overall) out of Louisiana-Lafayette, even though he had played the position only two years.

The Steelers again opted to select a cornerback in fourth round, choosing with the Cortez Allen — a 6-foot-1, 197-pound corner out of out of The Citadel — with the 128th pick.

"This is a height, weight, speed prospect along the lines of Ike Taylor physically," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Taylor is an unrestricted free agent, and with the uncertainty surrounding the NFL's labor situation and free agency put on hold, the Steelers are uncertain whether they will be able to lock up Taylor with a long-term deal — especially because his asking price might approach $10 million a season.

So the Steelers addressed their need at cornerback in the draft when they selected Texas' Curtis Brown in the third round and Allen in the fourth.

While Brown may be more of a polished prospect, Allen has raw talent. He played just one year of high school football, started only 28 games for a Division I-AA program and had just five interceptions.

"The Citadel is not a football factory," defensive backs coach Carnell Lake said. " A lot of the work that he gets is very limited in terms of football, but we noticed that with limited experience, he looked pretty natural at cornerback."

Allen split time with his mom in San Diego and dad in Ocala, Fla., preventing him from playing youth football. He didn't decide to go out for the high school team until his junior year.

Despite a eye-opening senior year at North Marion (Fla.), where he allowed just three completions to receivers all season and was named to the Florida all-state team, Allen decided to attend The Citadel, a military college in Charleston, S.C., where football wasn't always his first priority.

So when Allen visited the Steelers last month, Lake wanted to know just how much time he was afforded to work on his football skills.

"He said, 'I don't get a lot of time because I have to do The Citadel stuff,'" Lake said. "So I said this guy is really playing well, and he's not working on his craft that much because of his limited time. If he can spend a lot of time working on his craft, I see a lot of upside for him."

Allen, who doesn't have any military obligations after graduating in December, thinks The Citadel helped him get drafted by the Steelers.

"I don't think it hindered me at all," Allen said. "If anything, it made me a better person to be able to manage all that. I felt that if I worked hard enough, I would get noticed playing football."

The Steelers are thin at corner, making Allen's development paramount. William Gay is also an unrestricted free agent, leaving Bryant McFadden and unproven Keenan Lewis as the other top corners on the roster.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479
Default Re: Fourth-round corner Allen's pedigree mirrors Ike Taylor's

I liked this pick as well. He was a solid corner at Citadel and that was limited time focusing on football. From experience I know that when you play a sport at a military academy that you only put a small amount of time on that sport. The school doesn't care about sports like fans do, they have focuses on other stuff.

He only played one year in high school and then played at a school that football was #2. The key with this guy is getting in as fast as possible and getting the chance to work with Carnell Lake. I think now that he can focus 100% on football he is going to explode with all that raw talent.

He could be a starter in the next two years or so.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,262 Posts
Default Re: Fourth-round corner Allen's pedigree mirrors Ike Taylor's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post
I thought Ike Taylor graduated from Swagger University.
haha SWAGGINNNN
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote