Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
tunes4life
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8219
Default Burress a Possibilty

I looked around and was surprised not to see any comments on this PG article:

PG Article

I wouldn't mind seeing the guy back in B&G. I don't think it would happen though. Maybe the prison time straightened him up a bit? Worth discussing at least. I know we have a plethora of good receivers right now but it would be good to have a tall guy for the end zone corner routes. This would be a good year to get him if we wanted him.

I personally don't have any hard feelings against him. I think his head got a little too big for his helmet for a while, but prison has a way of fixing that problem quick.

Thoughts?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415
Default Re: Burress a Possibilty

No F-in way. Signing Plex would be a very un-Steeler-like thing to do. Personally,
I think the sentence handed down on him for having an unlicensed fire arm was
insane. He had no priors, he wasn't trying to shoot anyone - it just fell out of his
pants and shot him, no one else. Two years for that is excessive as hell. He
should have got probation, fined, etc. Having to serve two years for that is simply
insane. Had he had priors for illegal gun possession, different story. Had he shot
someone, or even pulled it out on someone, different story.

All that being said, he is an awful fit for Pgh and their team philosophy. He may indeed
have had his head checked from prison time but there is no way in hell he gets signed
by Pgh just on his previous tude alone. NY won a SB with him but we won a SB withOUT
him, as soon as he left. His selfish, ****y, jerk-ish tude isn't a fit. I like his talents. I think
he could help some teams. But Pgh doesn't go for the prima donna tude - just not a fit in
the Burgh. Rooneys won't even spend 1 minute thinking about signing him. Let the Raiders
sign him. They could use him and it's a perfect match.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

What's that old saying? If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Plax is a fully grown man and I'm sure he was well aware of the gun laws in NY. It's his own fault and got exactly what was coming to him. I'm glad he got two years as I'm sick and ****ing tired of celebrities getting off with a slap on the wrist when the rest of is would be behind bars.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
steeltown36
Water Boy

Member Number: 18447

Burress got screwed by Bloomberg, he made Roger Goddells actions look like Santa Claus. Having said that, the Steelers do not need or want Burress. We have a very talented group of wideouts already. We gotta keep getting younger, not older. Ward and Randle El are already old. We gotta keep building up Wallace, Sanders, and Brown.
steeltown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

I'm a full grown man and I have no idea what every single gun law is in Virginia. Saying someone should know every single law in their respective state is beyond ridiculous. There's a bunch of frivolous state laws that are asinine. I heard butt sex is illegal here

Plax would be a great addition to the Steelers imo. Sanders, Brown and Ward at this point of his career are slot guys. We need someone to line up opposite of Wallace.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
theplatypus
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I'm a full grown man and I have no idea what every single gun law is in Virginia. Saying someone should know every single law in their respective state is beyond ridiculous. There's a bunch of frivolous state laws that are asinine. I heard butt sex is illegal here

Plax would be a great addition to the Steelers imo. Sanders, Brown and Ward at this point of his career are slot guys. We need someone to line up opposite of Wallace.
As a gun owner it's your responsibility to know the gun laws in your state. Especially if you're CC, not doing so is effing stupid.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
steeltown36
Water Boy

Member Number: 18447

Its true man, you gotta know the laws if you are going to own, much less carry a gun. I think everyone knows carrying a gun without a permit is illegal, but he really got stuck with a harsh punishment. The fact that he shot himself and looks like a jackass for doing so was almost punishment enough.
steeltown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
As a gun owner it's your responsibility to know the gun laws in your state. Especially if you're CC, not doing so is effing stupid.
No one said he should get off scott free. It's a matter of degrees. Is the
first offense of carrying a gun illegally really worthy of two years in prison?
Bull shit. You would get off lighter for grand theft or rape for your first offense.
Hell, you could get busted selling coke and not get that. Bloomberg is a Nazi.
Plex did not only NOT get a lighter sentence for being a famous person, he
got hammered far harder than the average person would have got for the same
"crime."

But regardless, no way does Pgh sign him. No where near a fit. Let the
Raiders have him, who, by the way, are actually building a competitive
team, if you can believe it or not. McFadden is becoming the force he
was thought to be in college. OL is decent. D has some players. If only
Al can stay out of the way (which he might be doing out of default, taking
naps, etc.) they might become a good team. All of a sudden, the AFC West
is becoming a good division. KC, SD, and Oak are all emerging teams
who could make the play offs. Denver, probably not so much at this point.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
theplatypus
Team Owner

Y'all are a perfect example of one of the major problems with this country. It's always someone else's fault, bloomberg ****ed him my ass. He was partying in a club with a loaded handgun in his sweatpants. THose aren't exactly the actions of a responsible gun owner. He's yet another millionaire acting like a thug, **** him, he got exactly what he deserved.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,307 Times in 3,505 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

I don't think Pittsburgh will look at signing Burress too hard. It would be nice to have his talent, but I'd rather find it it some young receiver that we can develop, and not in an older receiver with some baggage.

I think he did get a harder sentence because it was such a famous case and if I can remember right, they tried to hide the gun and get away with it. He did act like an idiot, and he definately should have been more responsible though.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote