Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069
Default Former Bengals Fan Joins SteelerNation

I'd seen no one had this on the forum, so I decided to post it anyways. And I know I'm late about it.

Earlier this year Brett Kostoff, a Cincinnati native and longtime Bengals fan, contacted the AFC North blog and said he was so fed up with the team's losing that he is auctioning off his fandom on eBay.

This week we caught up with Kostoff to get an update on which team he's supporting this season and how that transition is going. Here was his response:

"As far as the auction went, it sold for $510 to the Pittsburgh Steelers. I couldn't be happier, honestly. I know that might sound crazy coming from a former Bengals fan, but it's like going from the basement to the penthouse as far as football operations. I never disliked Pittsburgh like the rest of the city of Cincinnati. I always RESPECTED it. I've been 100 percent following everything Steelers since the auction ended, including watching the interviews and reading up on Cam Heyward, Marcus Gilbert and hoping that if Ike Taylor doesn't re-sign (hopefully he does) that Cortez Allen or Curtis Brown can step up! I'm not like the other die-hards that will write you and say how they should sign Nnamdi Asomugha. That will never happen in Pittsburgh. When is the last time they dropped that kind of money on a free agent? After reading your blog [Monday] about Mike Brown not trading Carson Palmer it only makes me that much happier about my decision! Everyone in this city will still bash Carson Palmer, Chad Ochocinco, T.O., Corey Dillon and myself and call us quitters. But as Einstein once said "Insanity -- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I think we all might be just ahead of the game. I've never been more excited about a season. Hopefully we actually have a season. I thought it would take me longer to make the transition than it did, but I actually dislike the Bengals as a whole and it may just be the 20 years of torment as a fan they put me through. Haha. Thanks for checking in."

Wow. Kostoff is very serious about his new fandom and happy to be a card-carrying member of Steeler Nation. He also sent the AFC North blog the picture of his new Steelers merchandise that you see above and provided a list of items he purchased with the auction money.

Here was Kostoff's complete list:

One signed 16x20 autograph picture of Troy Polamalu

One white-stitched NFL official Polamalu jersey

Two Terrible Towels

Two hooded sweatshirts (one of the black NFL equipment)

One black NFL equipment hat

One glass license plate with a Steelers logo

One black mini helmet in a Steelers display case

One yellow mini helmet in a Steelers display case

Was Kostoff wise to leave "Bengaldom" and switch allegiances to the Steelers?

How does everyone feel about this? Personally, I don't think switching teams is okay, but for some reason I can't really argue about this mans decision. Not because he now a Steeler fan, It's just interesting to see someone with a reason to leave a sinking ship for a Cruise!

Here's his Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/kostoff

Last edited by Deserei90; 06-02-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Deserei90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Re: Former Bengals Fan Joins SteelerNation

I posted this discussion on another website and I feel like you should stick with your team. He does make a pretty good argument though.

I'm just concerned that buying a Bengals fan will bring some of that Bungles losing taint with it.

At least we can say now that we ACTUALLY own a Bungles fan as opposed to just verbally owning them all the time.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
tunes4life
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8219

HA! Personally I think it's completely awesome. I love this guy. I love the fact that he used the auction winnings to buy Pittsburgh stuff too. I know some people are going to jump on the guy for switching sides like this, but I think the the whole thing is hilarious. Besides, what better way to get in a good burn against the Bungles.

At least the guy is doing his research!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
steelax04
Head Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Even though he was a Bengals fan, it sounds like he was a football fan first. I don't see any problems with this.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunes4life View Post
HA! Personally I think it's completely awesome. I love this guy. I love the fact that he used the auction winnings to buy Pittsburgh stuff too. I know some people are going to jump on the guy for switching sides like this, but I think the the whole thing is hilarious. Besides, what better way to get in a good burn against the Bungles.

At least the guy is doing his research!
True. Finally a Former Bungles Fan who seen the Light. lol
Old 06-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
Even though he was a Bengals fan, it sounds like he was a football fan first. I don't see any problems with this.
I don't necessarily think it's a problem either, but alot of people that left him comments on that page, don't seem to agree.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

A man should only have to take his medicine for so long. Come feel the healing powers of SteelerNation my friend! 20 years of pain are wiped away. And with your new fandom you can be rest assured that your biggest detractors are bungles fans and as a Steelers fan you will learn that, well, we really don't care what they think anyways.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,047 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

what really surprises me is the fact that he put up with the Bungles for 20 YEARS
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

I think it is awesome, great for him to become a Steeler fan. I don't care who he use to like I will welcome him into SteelerNation.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
SoCalFan
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Buzzed

What did I do through the 80s & 90s when we stunk?I stuck by my team!!!BUT,gotta give him a break,they are the bungles with absolutely no hope!