Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069
Default Steelers' Harrison to Magazine: Goodell a 'Devil'

Heavily fined Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison calls NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook" and a "devil," among other insults, in a magazine article.

The 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year hasn't been shy about ripping the league after he was docked $100,000 for illegal hits last season. In the August issue of Men's Journal, his rants against Goodell reach another level of wrath.

"If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it," Harrison told the magazine. "I hate him and will never respect him."

If the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"

Harrison also criticizes other NFL execs, Patriots-turned-commentators Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi ("clowns"), Houston's Brian Cushing ("juiced out of his mind") — and even teammates Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in the Super Bowl loss. Harrison questions whether a black player is punished more for a hard hit on a white player than the opposite.

Beyond the insults, Harrison makes some serious points about what he believes are the league's misguided attempts to increase safety. He explains how non-guaranteed contracts make players more likely to hit high, because in the short term, a torn knee ligament is more costly than a concussion.

And Harrison suggests the real way to prevent head injuries is to shorten the season to 14 games, start offseason workouts later and trim the length of training camp so "we're not bangin' heads so much in August; that's where the brain trauma comes from."

WOW, I don't think this was a good idea on James Harrison's part

http://burgh.us/5tz
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
tunes4life
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8219
Default Re: Steelers' Harrison to Magazine: Goodell a 'Devil'

James if your just going to throw your hard earned money out the window, please send it to me. I could use it. I can be reached through my Steeler Fever account.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Damn.
I wish our players would stop doing interviews, tweeting, facebooking, etc.
Whatever happened to keeping your mouth shut and playing. Why light a fire under opposing players or the commissioner.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
Damn.
Whatever happened to keeping your mouth shut and playing. Why light a fire under opposing players or the commissioner.
I agree.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323

Harrison wasnt playing ball he would be bagging groceries.
He doesnt care
Goodell took a lot of money from James.
He probably saved enough and he set for life anyway.

What he said about Ben and Rashard's turnovers ..... that gave a total of 3 turnovers and we lose by a Touchdown.
Makes sense simply from that perspective
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
Damn.
this all started when Goodell started fining guys out of the blue because ESPN replayed hits over and over and started the bad PR of "violent" hits

who cares about the commissioner hopefully the players smartened up and took some power away from Goodell in this new CBA
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
this all started when Goodell started fining guys out of the blue because ESPN replayed hits over and over and started the bad PR of "violent" hits

who cares about the commissioner hopefully the players smartened up and took some power away from Goodell in this new CBA
I'm certainly not on Goodell's side of the arguement. But there's a right way to handle things. And name calling in an interview that's going to print doesn't serve any good purpose at all. It will only bring more scrutiny to the Steelers when flags are thrown and fines levied. Stay under the radar, do your job, and maybe we'll get a call or 2 that goes our way this season. As far as calling out Cushing, why do it. We play the Texans this year and maybe that roid monkey takes a cheap shot at Wallace. Why light the fire? And as far as calling out players on your own team. You should never do that even if it's true. Not in the media anyway. If you have a problem with a guy address with him personally or with the team behind closed doors. Putting it out in the media after the fact serves no purpose and could disrupt the team going into the season.

What if James had a big 15 yard penalty in the SB for a late hit and on the next play Rodgers threw the winning TD. Should his team mates call him out? You win as a team and lose as a team. Maybe if James gets to Rodgers and sacks him or just gets a hand in his face instead of letting him complete a crucial 3rd and 10 late in the game we win. How bout the fact that their D forced 3 TO's and ours didn't force any? Isn't that partly Harrison's fault also. We forced TO's all year long and in the biggest game we couldn't even get 1.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I couldn't agree more with steelerchad. The reason teammates don't call each other out is because it is rarely one event that changes the face of the game. There are ususally multiple things that have happened and for a guy that had numerous penalties that hurt his team, I would think he would be more cognizant of that. Damn, it's not so much bad as it is dumb. Just plain old dumb.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Great point from James Walker:

From an NFC North perspective, I've got exactly two cents on the ridiculous comments of Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison in a recent interview with Men's Journal.

$0.01: Harrison took a shot at Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for throwing two interceptions in Super Bowl XLV against the Packers. Harrison's line for that game: 1 tackle. It was a sack that came on a stunt designed to get him away from Packers left tackle Chad Clifton, who pretty much owned him for the entire game. Packers center Scott Wells knocked Harrison down. He got up, and quarterback Aaron Rodgers stepped right into him. Perhaps if Harrison had done more to help the Steelers win, he would have been in better position to evaluate the performance of his teammates.

$0.02: There will be some people, including NFL players, who think Harrison's message -- that the NFL made an example of him last season -- is valid, even if his expression was poorly executed. I side with Chicago Bears safety Chris Harris, who tweeted Wednesday morning: "Man James Harrison is a GOON!"

Carry on.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
Bill Cowher's Jaw
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18472

He shouldn't be throwing Ben and Mendenhall under the bus for their Super Bowl performance. Win as a team and lose as a team. Remember that Harrison only had 1 tackle in the Super Bowl and was owned by Chad Clifton almost every time he tried to pass-rush.
Bill Cowher's Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote