Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #21
3rdandlong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17001
Default Re: The OL thread...

I wish we could sure up the middle of the offensive line a little more. Pressure from the outside is not as bad as having it come up the middle. I'd be willing to switch Colon to guard if he can hold his own at that position. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott plays so terrible that they end up plugging Gilbert at his position
3rdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #22
BigBen2WardPITT
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 551

So we released Starks and Flozell. The Steelers almost never have big free agent signing off seasons... so I don't see us getting any better on the o-line. We'll be even worse, and Ben will get sacked 70 times and have a career ending injury.

Good job Steelers.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #23
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Tyson Clabo the all pro Right Tackle for the Atlanta Falcons signed for 5 years 25 million. Almost double in guaranteed money then Colon though. Still 800,000 less per year and he is a pro bowl Right Tackle.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #24
Ruffneck525
Water Boy

Member Number: 13902

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Strongly disagree on Colon. He was one of the better right tackles in the league in 2009. Chicago even offered him 3 million more than what we payed him. Check out what Walter from walterfootball.com has to say about the deal:

"Steelers re-sign OT Willie Colon (5 years, $29 million): A+ Grade
The Steelers show us again why they're one of the smartest and most successful franchises in the NFL. This was a terrific move; Willie Colon is one of the top right tackles in the league, yet Pittsburgh was able to get him for only $29 million over five years. The Steelers had to make this deal in the wake of 400-pound Max Starks' departure."

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011OT.php
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011recap.php

I totally disagree with you on Colon actually. He is a terrible offensive tackle. people need to go back and watch previous to last season. he was a holding machine and even when not holding he was too slow footed and too short of arms to play in space and would constant get beat and giv eup sacks or pressures to ben's throwing arm side.

The guy likely could be a servicable guard ( correct build for it) but as a tackle he is what defensive coordinators attack ( the weak link) because they know he does not have the feet or length to handle in space well.

I'm not sure what the front office is thinking in this one.. great Qb but get rid of both his huge tackles that protect him? It'll be another season of ben recieving the snap and running for his life just to get rid of the ball.

Our Rookie tackle must be a beast or something because if not.. this is going to blow up in our face.
Ruffneck525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #25
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Ugh, really wish we kept Flozell...I know this would be the last year we could have gotten anything out of him, but even with another year added to his body he would have been 10x better than Scott...I really don't want another year of Jonathan Scott at LT, in fact Id rather try out Gilbert from the get-go and hope he pans out...
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #26
Ruffneck525
Water Boy

Member Number: 13902

after digging more deeply While I think Colon is a horrible tackle.. i now see why + money they let Flozell walk.

He could not pass the conditioning evaluation.. whch means he was not in good shape at all.

it was only 7 100- yard sprints he and hampton could not finish them along with dwyer and sweed.
Ruffneck525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #27
NCBlackWolf
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffneck525 View Post
after digging more deeply While I think Colon is a horrible tackle.. i now see why + money they let Flozell walk.

He could not pass the conditioning evaluation.. whch means he was not in good shape at all.

it was only 7 100- yard sprints he and hampton could not finish them along with dwyer and sweed.
I understand Hampton. Big Snack loves his Big Snacks. What is up with Dwyer and Sweed not finishing? Injuries?
Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #28
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen2WardPITT View Post
So we released Starks and Flozell. The Steelers almost never have big free agent signing off seasons... so I don't see us getting any better on the o-line. We'll be even worse, and Ben will get sacked 70 times and have a career ending injury.

Good job Steelers.
That is a point that doesn't get made very often. We are usually concerned about the way sacks will effect the game, but the FO also needs to be thinking about how it potentially could effect the season, maybe even the decade. If Ben get's hurt the Steelers will NOT win playoff games. If it ends his career, the Steelers are out for a good while, years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBlackWolf View Post
I understand Hampton. Big Snack loves his Big Snacks. What is up with Dwyer and Sweed not finishing? Injuries?
Seriously, Sweed?
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #29
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370

Aappearntly tomlin excused sweed after the 4th so called lap.like someone else said in another form that may be related to his injury.
Oh and a little of topic but sanders apparently is having discomfort in his injured foot and Curtis brown has an illness and there are a few hamstring issues for a couple other players (can't recall who) so all-in-all not too much bad news from camp
Wallabeast17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #30
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

I thought Sweed was 110% percent ready and health?
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote