Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #121
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410
Default Re: I guess we're in the hunt for Plaxico again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
I heard that he asked Mike Wallace for #17 and Wallace told him to go FCUK himself

That pretty much killed the deal

priceless!!!!!

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #122
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
ESPN is reporting Plax was changing flights in Los Angeles on his way to meet with the 49ers (so much for the theory winning another championship was a big factor for Burress)

Plax's agent said he already had told the Eagles he would sign if they met his # - the Jets said can we get the same deal - Plax said yes, Jets offered a guaranteed $3 million (and $17,000) which Burress accepted.

This was all about the Benjamins - Steelers got played
He may have played the Steelers but, he can go and be a cancer on the Jets!!!
Maybe he thought the Steelers were actually gonna give him more....Who's the one that really got played here?

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #123
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,676 Times in 2,624 Posts

Based on these comments Plax did not get any smarter during his 2 years in prison

Burress deal was “all about Rex”

So what distinguished the Jets from the Steelers, Giants, and 49ers when it came to wooing Plaxico Burress?

None of the other teams had Rex Ryan.

Per a source with knowledge of the process, it was “all about Rex” for Plaxico. Though it didn’t hurt that the one-year, $3 million guaranteed contract also represented the best financial package placed on the table, it was the total package and Ryan’s presence — and pitch — got it done.

In the end, it turns out that Burress was accurate in his assessment of his priorities earlier this month, when talking with our friends Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“Well, the head coach is going to be first and foremost,” Burress said. “It’s going to be somebody to where, well, you know, he has an open door policy, I can walk in his office and sit down and talk to him whether it’s about football or life or whatever that may be. Then, of course, second, it’s going to be a quarterback. I’m a wide receiver. I mean, that’s a no brainer. I’m not going to sit here and say it’s not. And surround myself with guys that are hungry and guys that know how to play and want to win.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...all-about-rex/

Yeah - how could anyone possibly choose Roethlisberger over Sanchez?

At least one columnist thinks this is the Jets overpaying to win a New York media war with the Giants

But the Jets love attention, and they've been making alot of it on and off the field since Rex Ryan took over as head coach. That's why the signing of free-agent Plaxico Burress should come as no surprise. He's a big name, the Giants were interested in him and the Jets wanted to make a move at the wide-receiver position.

More important, they probably felt they had to make a splash after losing out with Nnamdi Asomugha. So they sign Burress, and say goodbye to Braylon Edwards. I don't know where he ends up, but it's safe to assume it won't be back with the Jets.

I know, Edwards must drop his price for anyone to be interested, but he's a more dangerous weapon than Burress. Burress, of course, is a sexier name, and the Jets opted for the guy who will get the attention ... and he will get it in stadium where the Giants play.

My question: Will he also get the passes? He turns 34 next month and missed the past two years of football while sitting in prison. More to the point, when you talk to personnel directors and GMs they tell you he was slipping in 2008, when we last saw him.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...84866/31011242

Can't say missing on Burress breaks my heart
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #124
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Well done Jets, now maybe you can go get another player to help screw the locker room up even more, go sign Tiki.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #125
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
,Jets offered a guaranteed $3 million (and $17,000)
This from ESPN

They threw in $17,000 because of his jersey number -- 17. How cute

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...y-show-wideout

This was a New York media event orchestrated by Burress and his agent - I am really surprised Tomlin & Colbert took the bait
Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #126
xli...
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17864

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
I heard that he asked Mike Wallace for #17 and Wallace told him to go FCUK himself

That pretty much killed the deal
Nice
Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #127
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

except for the simple fact that Plax wore "80" wit da Steeler's, so I don't see his legitamate need for "17" ?
oh, unless of course this was meant to be sacastic on your part ?
:), ahh ok. whatever pfft.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #128
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Another smackdown on the Jets signing Plax for $3 million guaranteed

The NFL's Madcap Free-Agent Frenzy Continues
By Bill Barnwell

Most Curious Move

The jilted Jets got on with life-after-Nnamdi by signing Plaxico Burress. If you mourned the closing of El Bulli by going to your local Chili's, you can probably relate to what the Jets did. The only difference is that the Jets spent more than $3 million in guaranteed money to eat those fajitas.

It's unclear what the Jets see in him. After battling through a series of injuries during the 2007 playoffs, Burress was in the middle of a mediocre season with the Giants before his infamous accidental shooting. The Giants offense actually played better that season without him in the lineup, and Eli Manning promptly had his best season a year later, while the player often referred to as his "security blanket" was lined up in jail.

As a lanky receiver with great leaping ability and body control who drops a lot of passes, Burress profiles as a pretty straightforward replacement for Braylon Edwards at a cheaper price, but he will be 34 in two weeks and has a history of injuries and insubordination. It might be worth bringing him into camp on an unguaranteed contract, but unless he somehow got younger in prison, Burress should never see guaranteed money in a contract again.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...enzy-continues