Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #31
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: A surprise cut coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
I'm torn on Farrior being cut and replaced with someone like Foote. I've never been a big fan of Foote, and I hate to mention him and Farrior in the same sentence. But Farrior isn't getting any younger, and his best days are behind him. If they feel the defense is good enough to lose Farrior in place of Foote, and if they can save money, it might be the right business decision. I'm too lazy to look up what both of them make, but age alone makes it something you have to consider.
Farrior will be replaced with Sylvester. No way in hell Foote steps in there as starter.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #32
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Farrior will be replaced with Sylvester. No way in hell Foote steps in there as starter.
You could be right ... or you could be wrong. Sylvester has looked awesome in the limited action he's seen. But then again, so did William Gay.

It could be Foote, Sylvester, or someone we're not even thinking about yet.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #33
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978

Quote:
I'm torn on Farrior being cut and replaced with someone like Foote. I've never been a big fan of Foote, and I hate to mention him and Farrior in the same sentence. But Farrior isn't getting any younger, and his best days are behind him. If they feel the defense is good enough to lose Farrior in place of Foote, and if they can save money, it might be the right business decision. I'm too lazy to look up what both of them make, but age alone makes it something you have to consider.
I realize he is getting pretty old and no doubt think this is his last year, which I'm sure he even knows, but despite what people think on here, I think he played pretty well last season. Yeah, he got torched by Jennings in the SB, but come on, a LB on # 1/top 5 WR? I don't know what anyone expects a LB to do in that situation but I digress. Anyways, I'm getting away from your post, I thought Foote was always all right but I don't see him being as good (even though he's quote a few years younger) better than Farrior at the moment. I want Stevenson Sylvester take over Farrior but if my memory serves me right (and I doubt that it does, heh) I don't remember him getting on to the field all that much. Anyways, if Farrior doesn't get cut I hope to see Sylvester play more snaps.

But, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Regardless, though, we have the best LB core in the NFL

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #34
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,365 Times in 566 Posts

I actually don't see any cuts coming. Maybe restructing, but I don't think Clark is referencing guys being fired. I think it's more towards the NFL, CBA and Goodell.

As far as Farrior, he's the emotional leader on our defense. He had that one down year in '09, but who didn't? Farrior had a pretty solid season last year. He shows no signs of laying down or slowing down. He is needed as a rock as our staple middle backer. That monster Timmons will take care of the rest.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #35
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
I actually don't see any cuts coming. Maybe restructing, but I don't think Clark is referencing guys being fired. I think it's more towards the NFL, CBA and Goodell.

As far as Farrior, he's the emotional leader on our defense. He had that one down year in '09, but who didn't? Farrior had a pretty solid season last year. He shows no signs of laying down or slowing down. He is needed as a rock as our staple middle backer. That monster Timmons will take care of the rest.
He is still ok at run support,,,Just can't cover anymore
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #36
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
He is still ok at run support,,,Just can't cover anymore
To be fair to Farrior, I don't think he ever really could...

As much as I'd like to see Timmons more I think he is a bit hand cuffed by playing with Farrior. When he runs the stunts to get after the QB, which he should be doing more imo, Farrior is usually left to cover the middle of the field or flats, which usually results in him being burned. If we had another athletic ILB that could hold his own in space we would be that much more versatile and dangerous. Question is do we have that player on our roster. Sylvester imo is still wayyyy to raw to be an every down player...but I think the athleticism is definitely there. I'm optimistic about where our LB's will be in a few years if we get wood locked up and worilds in @ harrisons spot. I would love for harrison to be there obviously but the age and back issue will run it's course by then. Hopefully worilds is as advertised.
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #37
Wallace108

Member Number:

Yep, I'm sticking with what I said earlier ... Ryan's tweet was about Goodell and the CBA. And as a sidenote, at this very moment, Ryan is currently my all-time favorite Steeler.
---------------------------------

LATROBE — Three weeks ago, it was James Harrison who ripped into NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Now it’s Ryan Clark’s turn.

In the August editions of Men’s Journal magazine, Harrison, the Steelers’ star linebacker called Goodell a “crook” and a “devil.”

On Wednesday, Clark blasted Goodell for his role in disciplining players for personal conduct code violations and hits during games that the league deems as excessively flagrant.

“How often did you hear (former commissioner) Paul Tagliabue’s name throughout the season?” said Clark, the Steelers’ player rep. “I think (Goodell has) decided to make himself a major part of this game. I don’t know if he had some type of high school dreams or Pop Warner dreams of being an NFL football player. But he’s made himself the NFL.

“He is the most popular — or infamous — commissioner in sports right now. Maybe that’s what he wanted to be.”

Friday before the Steelers’ first camp practice, Harrison apologized for his remarks about Goodell.

Clark ripped into Goodell on Wednesday as he discussed the new collective bargaining agreement between owners and players which players have yet to ratify.

“A big issue for us is Roger Goodell having absolute control over the fines system, judge, jury and appeals,” Clark said. “For a lot of teams, it wouldn’t be as big a deal, but for us it is. We’re the team that gets fined the most and we play a brand of football that sometimes subjects us to his opinion.”

Clark is so emotional about the issue that he and Joe Bendel, a Pittsburgh radio talk show host, nearly came to blows Wednesday outside the St. Vincent College dining hall where the media conduct most of its interviews during camp.

Clark obviously didn’t like the line of Bendl’s questioning on the matter and the two had to be separated by a member of the Steelers’ communications department.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/lo...da1f83da8.html
Old 08-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #38
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
How would Ryan Clark know about any surprise cuts coming?

I read somewhere else that the comment was in response to Goodell and the CBA, which makes more sense:

It's a bit of a leap to think that has anything to do with a Steeler player being cut.
A voice of reason......

Reading Clark's tweet with no preconceptions, I wouldn't have thought he referred to somebody getting cut. His tweet is so general, I don't see how anybody can automatically assume he's talking about a big name not making the team.

It seems more reasonable to me he's talking about Goodell.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #39
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

No way it Farrior or Ward. Ward is probably in the best shape of his life and the knee should be better than new after all that dancing.

Foote brings nothing this year, last year they wanted some leadership along with El. We do not need that this year.
Smith, unfortunately a youth movement is occurring and spending that kind of dough isn't needed. Is he great, sure. Is he durable? No. With the long term deals we need to make to secure the future. The past needs to go.

Also, I would like to see Asante Samuals get pried away from the Eagles. With the cost savings we could easily slide him in with a restructured deal in a trade.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote