Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #21
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248
Default Re: Now that the dust is settling,ARE WE better this year?

I like how for NE you put "never been to the Super Bowl since." Its been 3 years since they've been to the Super bowl. I mean the Colts lost the Super Bowl last year and they haven't been in 1 year either. Must be a trend forming here!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #22
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I like how for NE you put "never been to the Super Bowl since."
If we lose Ben for the year in the first quarter of the season opener against Baltimore the way the Patriots lost Brady in 2008, it's probably a really safe bet we won't sniff the playoffs, never mind the Super Bowl.

Last edited by Sixburgher; 08-04-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #23
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
I think it's to early to tell. First off, even though I always have confidence in the Steelers, I do worry about the post SB blues. Hopefully we won't see any of that. Most of the team is the same. The "talent" spots on the offense are the same. The WR's and starting tight end are the same and have an extra year of experience (Brown, Sanders), so overall that looks good. Mendenhall played real well at the end of last year. Ben is always great. On the other side of the ball, the D line starters are the same and they all perform well, although I'm not sure how Smith will play this year. No problem though cause Hood and Heyward are ready to step up. The LB group is bulletproof as always, I'm not worried about Farrior's age at all, Harrison will still be a beast as will Woodley. Timmons has been playing well and we have young talent behind them. Clark and Polamalu are back. Other then the post SB stuff, my main worries are the CB's and the O line. The O line has been bad for years, but we still win. I don't think we can do that every year. With Colon and Legursky starting this year I expect them to be a bit better, but still not good. I wouldn't say we are better in that area. Last year McFadden was always getting burnt and he's back. Also teams saw how we are seemingly defenseless against quick passes and spread formations. Unless Brown steps up big we will be "mediocre at best" as far as coverage goes. Not necessarily worse then last year, but I don't think we can go to the SB like that again. Ultimately, I think it's to early to tell. Brown at corner and Gilbert on the O line have a lot to do with if we are better or not, even though they are rookies, because of the position they play. Overall, I'm optimistic and think we can win it all still, but it will be tough. My .02
Not worried about our LB'S? Brady or Rodgers will play Farrior like a puppet and Harrison is 33 coming off back surgery...I hope you are right!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #24
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Not worried about our LB'S? Brady or Rodgers will play Farrior like a puppet and Harrison is 33 coming off back surgery...I hope you are right!
I think we are worrying about age to much on this forum lately. Don't misunderstand me, I know it's a factor and important, I just think we are making to big of a deal out of it. As far as Rodgers playing Farrior "like a puppet", I wouldn't give Rodgers that kind of credit. I didn't say Farrior was young and a great coverage guy, but he can read plays and routes well. As for when we play Brady, that's a team problem, and although your probably right, I can't help but think LeBeau has something this time around for the Patriots. We only play them once, and I don't see Farrior being the weak link in our losses against them. I know for football 33 is far from young, but Harrison is in great shape, he's a beast, and he will be this year. We have Worilds and Sylvester also.I know the Pats and Packers picked us apart and that the linebackers could have done more, but with Timmons, Woodley, Harrison, Farrior and some young talent behind them, LB is just not a spot I'm worried about, rarely is it in Pittsburgh. I do see your point, I just disagree, this year at least.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:24 AM   #25
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
If we lose Ben for the year in the first quarter of the season opener against Baltimore the way the Patriots lost Brady in 2008, it's probably a really safe bet we won't sniff the playoffs, never mind the Super Bowl.
Nah man we got Dennis Dixon
Old 08-05-2011, 02:52 AM   #26
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I think I had us at 12-4 last year if memory serves. But this year we
could start out 1-3 if things stay as they are. Our OL, secondary
and WR units are in shambles. No other way to describe it.
How about flux? The preseason just started . I don't have the luxury of seeing them practice. They might look terrible. I also have seen them stink it up in preseason and come together when the season starts. I see some youth stepping up. Butler in the nickel, Brown as a receiver. Carter on STs. Pouncey will only get better which will filter out into the o-line. It did last year. What about this Greenwood kid. Is he really 6'7"? Can he catch? The best thing for a suspect secondary is a great pass rush. Heyward,Ziggy taking up blockers,big snack plugging up the middle and Harrison + Woodley coming off the edges. What's not to like there? I'm getting fired up just thinking about all this.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #27
3rdandlong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17001

I'm really only worried about our kicker this year. Many games come down to a field goal kick, and I don't think Suisham is as reliable as Reed was in his best years
3rdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #28
3rdandlong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Limas Sweed will have 1000 yards receiving this year!
Been hearing that Sweed is dropping balls in practice. If he does the same thing during the preseason, we're going to have to part with him
3rdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #29
lnjoelle
Water Boy

Member Number: 18580

We all need to calm down and at least wait for the pre season. Games are never won on paper, let's just trust that the coaches know what they are doing. My only concern is Arians. We have enough fire power on offense that we could field an offense like the Rams' greatest show on turf. But i don't think Arians has the smarts to put it to good use, esp. without being predictable.
lnjoelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #30
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdandlong View Post
Been hearing that Sweed is dropping balls in practice. If he does the same thing during the preseason, we're going to have to part with him
Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown were dropping balls too. It does happen.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote