Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #21
Wallace108

Member Number:
Default Re: Herm Edwards: Team with most to worry about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
Instead they keep drafting LBs and receivers that rarely work out, save Wallace.
Huh? We keep drafting LBs that rarely work out? You mean like Timmons and Woodley? And Wallace is the only good receiver we've drafted lately? Have you seen Sanders and Brown play?
---------------------------

I disagree with the notion that the Steelers have ignored the O-line and that it's because of arrogance or anything else. The top O-linemen get drafted high in the first round. Sure, players like Pouncey can drop lower, but when they do, it's not like we're the only team targeting them. So it's not always possible to get a top lineman late in the first round.

The Steelers routinely draft in the late 20s and even 30s. There's not a whole lot separating the linemen that are available at that position compared with those who you can get in later rounds. Why waste a first-round pick on a lineman when you can get the same quality of player in the second or third round?

And they have drafted linemen in later rounds ... it's not like they're not even trying. But the draft isn't an exact science. You win some, and you lose some.

Maybe if we're lucky, we'll win only 2 or 3 games this season and then we can draft one of the top linemen in next year's draft.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #22
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
Maybe if we're lucky, we'll win only 2 or 3 games this season and then we can draft one of the top linemen in next year's draft.
One can only hope...
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
One can only hope...
I think there are a few here who would actually be happy to see the Steelers go in the tank. Then they could spend the whole offseason bragging about how they were right, and the front office has no idea what it's doing.

Last edited by Wallace108; 08-14-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:55 AM   #24
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

It just dawned on me that we;re discussing something that Thumper is claiming as fact without providing any evidence to back it up. Given his propensity to stretch the truth, grasp at straws , and flat out lie we should probably be asking for a source.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:16 AM   #25
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
I think there are a few here who would actually be happy to see the Steelers go in the tank. Then they could spend the whole offseason bragging about how they were right, and the front office has no idea what it's doing.
Unfortunately, the Steelers will have another good year. But that won't stop the ridiculous comments in the media and posts on this site. Herm Edwards must have fried his brains on crystal meth, I swear. He says the dumbest sh!t and I'm always surprised to see him still drawing a paycheck for spewing such thoughtless crap.

How about this for an answer to the team with the most to worry about: "Cincy (or substitute Cleveland if you want) ... because they suck as far as talent, coaching, FO and ownership ... they typify the term LOSER ... they have a major failure streak going with no end in sight ... if I were a fan of the bungholes, I'd renounce football and take up knitting quilts as a way to spend my Sunday afternoons.". Or "The Ravens, because the Steelers own them. Watching Flacco walk off the field after one of their games is like watching a new fish walk out of the showers in a max security prison ... you know he got raped and will get it again tomorrow.".

I don't mind that Edwards decided to pick on the Steelers. He could have said Super Bowl losers tend to fall apart the following season ... fair enough. But the Steelers haven't had an offensive line since the days Hartings, Faneca, and Smith played together ... yet they've been one of the most dominate teams during that period.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #26
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
I would just like to ask. What is the Packers' weaknesses and how does it affect their game?
Maybe you should go to the Packers board for that answer.

One preseason game and the o-line woes are starting again. Hell. we could easily (based on what I saw) say we can't stop the run. Our first team D is horrific! Why bother watching any games this year, cause we're gonna loose them all!!!

So we look terrible the first preseason game. If we come out game one and the o-line is getting Ben killed I'll jump right in bitchin' too but for right now let's see how this thing unfolds.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #27
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
I would just like to ask. What is the Packers' weaknesses and how does it affect their game?
Go ask the Packers fans, since they lost to Cleveland in their first preseason game That will obiously be a harbinger of things to come for them too.

OH BTW, that was a bit of sarcasm in case you doomsayers missed it!!

Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #28
3rdandlong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17001

Rararararaaararararaa. There were some concerns I the first preseason game. But let's not get carried away. Time and time again history shows that preseason is no indication of how well a team will do during the regular season
3rdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #29
solardave
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
Don't look now, but the defending champs lost to the Browns. Guess they're in big trouble too.
NO NO NO. The Browns really are that good. We need to really start worrying now.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #30
solardave
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Huh? We keep drafting LBs that rarely work out? You mean like Timmons and Woodley? And Wallace is the only good receiver we've drafted lately? Have you seen Sanders and Brown play?
---------------------------

I disagree with the notion that the Steelers have ignored the O-line and that it's because of arrogance or anything else. The top O-linemen get drafted high in the first round. Sure, players like Pouncey can drop lower, but when they do, it's not like we're the only team targeting them. So it's not always possible to get a top lineman late in the first round.

The Steelers routinely draft in the late 20s and even 30s. There's not a whole lot separating the linemen that are available at that position compared with those who you can get in later rounds. Why waste a first-round pick on a lineman when you can get the same quality of player in the second or third round?

And they have drafted linemen in later rounds ... it's not like they're not even trying. But the draft isn't an exact science. You win some, and you lose some.

Nicely put. You're right. I agree it's hard to get quality O-lineman late. And your last sentence hits it right on the head. We need to lose more games so we'll get better draft picks. Also let's spend a boatload in FA so we can win more games.Trade up in the draft. Give all of our picks away for a shot at a quality o-lineman.(You know. Like Pouncey or something). I mean the FO has managed to put us in the position to go 2-1
in SB's in the last 6 years.