Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default 10 observations from Steelers vs. Redskins

The Steelers played the Redskins on Friday Night and lost their first preseason game. The scored was tied 7-7 when the first and second team came out for the Steelers. The Redskins used their first team all the way to half time as the Steelers pulled many of their starters after the first drive. The final score ended up being 16-7 Redskins. You could tell that these guys have not played football in a while. Here are some things I saw from the game.

1.Antonio Brown is ready to be a star. He caught everything and was the entire Steelers offense for most of the game.
2.Chris Scott is not ready to start at Right Guard. He may look fantastic in practice but he was not ready for what was coming at him versus the Redskins.
3.William Gay can not even cover third string receivers. He was beat all night by whoever lined up against him.
4.Cameron Heyward is going to be a beast. He was up under first team offensive linemen and in the backfield. He disrupted quite a few plays and was in on quite a few plays.
5.Woodley’s love for the game showed through last night. When the Redskins were driving late in the second quarter Woodley was standing there with his helmet in his hands ready to help. The rest of the guys on the sideline were joking and watching while Woodley wanted to make an impact.
6.Dennis Dixon did not do any favors for Saunders, Grisham, or any other receivers who are trying to make this team.
7.Daniel Sepulveda looked like a beast kicking the ball. If he stays healthy he will be our punter. 62, 51 and 55 yard punts can pretty much assure that.
8.Keenan Lewis and Crezdon Butler were both not ready to guard first team receivers. They can play in the nickel but as of now they are let the guy catch the ball and make the tackle corners not playmakers.
9.The new kickoff rule sucks. When sitting in the stands everyone was booing because there is no excitement on special teams.
10.Young guys to watch moving forward are Donovan Warren, Stephenson Sylvester, Cameron Heyward, Chris Carter, Ryan Mundy, Anthony Gray, and Corbin Bryant.
After the first game it did not look like these guys were ready for football. This is why the preseason is important. These guys need time to work
Old 08-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Pittsburgh43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16073
Default Re: 10 observations from Steelers vs. Redskins

Pretty much agree with all your points. Another kid that stood out to me was Morrty Ivy, he was always attacking the ball and he made me notice him.

Isaac Redman is a guy that this team needs to utilize. He makes plays, bottom line. He proved that in one of the Ravens games last season. You can't arm tackle 'em cause he'll run right through it, you need half the defense to bring him down. Obviously, Rashard is our workhorse, but we need to get this guy in the game. He carried the ball around 55 times last season, this needs to be at least doubled.
Pittsburgh43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Heyward needs to play...Cut Smith and use the 6 mill somewhere else.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
3rdandlong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17001

Redman and Antonio Brown were the most impressive to me. Wallace as usual looks like a star. Now if only our offensive line could get it together
3rdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Gotta Give Redman his props...seems to always give 110%
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

I agree with everything you said and I'll add that Sylvester looked good too. Redman needs more involvement in our offense.
I did see one play where Heyward missed a tackle and just stood there without pursuing the guy. Rookie mistake.

As far as Chris Scott I also agree. Why not try Legursky there? He seems to be able to play every other position. Didn't I see him playing left tackle?

Dennis Dixon = Kordell Stewart. Same number,same talent, same ol' same ol' can't put it together on the field.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Heyward needs to play...Cut Smith and use the 6 mill somewhere else.
Here's an idea. Restructure his contract and let the rookie learn from a consummate PRO with a blue collar mentality. IMHO Heyward is the FUTURE. Keyword----Future.
Next year.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Steelers17
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15580

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
Here's an idea. Restructure his contract and let the rookie learn from a consummate PRO with a blue collar mentality. IMHO Heyward is the FUTURE. Keyword----Future.
Next year.
Agreed but it is genuinely difficult to mentor and coach up while sitting in a hot tub. Additionally, we are fortunate to have a solid defensive line coach in place. Furthermore, if the Steelers hierarchy can cut Franco Harris, they can cut anyone!
Steelers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

I'm glad you guys are starting to see why Antonio Brown should be the #2 receiver opposite of Wallace.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I'm glad you guys are starting to see why Antonio Brown should be the #2 receiver opposite of Wallace.
I wouldn't hand that to him yet. He's looking good, but I'd still rather have Hines on the field when it counts.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote