Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Tony Hills ready to start at RG

Don't know if you guys seen this yet, but hopefully he can make a difference this year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11228/1167600-66.stm

The Steelers have opened a drive-thru window at the right-guard position in their offensive line, hoping the next person in line is just what they ordered.

Tackle Chris Scott, a fifth-round pick in 2010, was the most recent to pass through, getting a chance to play extensively in the preseason opener Friday night against the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field. But, in his first extensive action since being drafted, Scott had the window close quickly.

Next in line: Tony Hills.

Remember him?

After three years of little, if any, action at left tackle, Hills has been moved to right guard and will start there in the second preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles Thursday night at Heinz Field.,

"Tony is very athletic, maybe the most athletic guy in the group," offensive line coach Sean Kugler said. "We're trying to find the best spot for him where he can help himself and he can help us."

Hills, a fourth-round draft choice in 2008, was used at right guard against the Redskins, and he played so well that the Steelers have inserted him at that position with the first-team offense in practice.

Scott, who missed the entire preseason and was on the physically-unable-to-perform list for the first six games last season, will move back to tackle for now. He had trouble handling twists and stunts by the Redskins defensive linemen.

"Tony Hills had one of his best games as a guard," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "So we're going to give him a shot."

At 6 feet 5, 330 pounds, Hills may not have the prototypical body size to be a guard. But he does have the athleticism to run the team's counter plays that require the guard to pull to the other side.

And it would be an opportunity to play on a regular basis, something Hills hasn't done in three years. He has been inactive for 43 of the 48 games since he was drafted.

"Whatever it is I'm doing, I'm going to keep doing it," Hills said. "I go out there and play hard and aggressive and play with sound technique and not make the same mistake twice. That's what I'm doing

When you know what to do, it's easier to go out and play. Being my fourth year, it's not about knowing the offense now. It's reading defenses, seeing how guys play, different keys to help me up my game."

The Steelers are not giving up on their other two holdovers at right guard -- Ramon Foster, who started the final 10 games of the 2010 season; and Doug Legursky, who started four games there last season.

But they would like to find a player who is a hybrid of both.

Legursky is the smartest offensive lineman on the team -- even more so than center Maurkice Pouncey -- but he is also the smallest (6-1, 315). He might start at left guard against the Eagles if Chris Kemoeatu, who returned Monday to team drills at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, is held out.

Foster (6-6, 325) replaced Legursky for the final 10 games last season because the Steelers wanted a bigger body to cover a defensive tackle in the 4-3 fronts used by the other teams in the AFC North Division, especially the Baltimore Ravens.

Maybe Hills is that guy.

"He's got great athleticism," Kugler said. "His redirect, his pulling skills, his ability to adjust in space, those translate to guard. I'm not saying he can't play tackle, but we're going to see if those skills flourish at the guard spot. That would be for the benefit of the entire team."

Right now, Hills is considered the top backup to left tackle Jonathan Scott, but that role has a short shelf life. Rookie Marcus Gilbert, their No. 2 draft pick, will be given a chance at some point and will make the roster. And the Steelers still have not dismissed the possibility of bringing back Flozell Adams, their starting right tackle in 2010.

"It's been three years I've been here, and that's what got me to here," Hills said. "And here is where I know the entire offense. I'm looking forward to the opportunity."

Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com ; Twitter@gerrydulac.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11228...#ixzz1VDGWIvce

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11228...#ixzz1VDGQybqJ
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,255 Posts
Default Re: Tony Hills ready to start at RG

lets hope so... crossing my fingers
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
stiller39
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4832

Coaches and management must have seen something in this guy to give him a roster spot. I hope he pans out and kudos to him for taking the next step up.
stiller39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

yah, well according to this blog, coach kugler is saying he's probably the best athlete on the line, which is probably why they held on to him for a long time. hopefully he can put that talent to use for us this year
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,255 Posts

for some guys it take a little bit longer to get it... so hopefully the move helps him out
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Where's Thumper?
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
Where's Thumper?
Probably off somewhere conjuring up yet another theory based on marshmallow cream.

Last edited by theplatypus; 08-16-2011 at 02:22 PM.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

Sounds good to me, hope he makes the most of his likely last shot to earn some of that money he's received and benefit our team.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
pancake
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Cheeky

I posted this earlier, but... Robert Gallery was awful at tackle and has done well at guard, maybe Tony can do the same...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

lol@"best athlete on the line." He doesn't come close to Pouncey in terms of athleticism.