Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Preseason Game Planning

So I posted something on my Facebook about the Eagles' secondary to rile some of my old buddies up and one of them posted a reply...

His reply: "You don't game plan preseason games."

I just find this hard to believe, that there is no game planning. With those big time signings in the secondary, I guess I was just expecting more resistance against the Steelers' passing game.

All of this made me woner, is there really no "game planning" for preseason games? If not, how do you measure the guys on the field and their performance?
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Re: Preseason Game Planning

I pulled this from an article by Bob Labriola on the Steelers website:

Itís always a good sign when a team heeds its coachís words and puts them into action, and thatís precisely what the Steelers did in the days between the Redskins at FedEx Field and the Eagles at Heinz Field. Just as was the case against the Redskins, the Steelers didnít put in a game plan for the Eagles, but their players did a much better job of executing the fundamentals of the sport, and the bounce-back characteristic is one every team wants to develop.

(Read More:) http://www.steelers.com/news/article...0-eb8570cf9fba

It seems there isn't much in the way of actual game planning. I've always heard that schemes are somewhat vanilla as not to give away actual schemes/plans that would be utilized in the regular season to players that will eventually be cut and signed by other teams. You don't want to give your secrets away.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Does BA ever game plan?
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
Does BA ever game plan?

Yes..... just badly.

I have to admit that they looked good on offense last night though. I'm just not sure how much is attributable to Arians if there is no game plan. Maybe that's the key? Don't allow him to game plan and just "wing it".

Other than the damn ineffective and predictable WR screen (Can some body please tear that page out of Arians' playbook?!?), I thought the playcalling was very good.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182

I still don't see the lack of game planning an excuse for how the Eagles' Dream Team of DBs did. They still should have put up more of an effort, imho. Maybe Vick needs game planning to not throw to the other team's players as well?
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
BIGNASTY91
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18495
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
Yes..... just badly.
BIGNASTY91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
I still don't see the lack of game planning an excuse for how the Eagles' Dream Team of DBs did. They still should have put up more of an effort, imho. Maybe Vick needs game planning to not throw to the other team's players as well?
I agree. They still should have been able to make some plays regardless. That's what they are out there for... to be evaluated on there skills and decision making ability. I didn't see much of either in the Eagles' secondary last night.

This doesn't mean that with the proper scheme/ game plan, that things couldn't be drastically better or different come the regular season. I've seen the Steelers D look lackluster in preseason games past (including last week), only to light it up in the regular season. Some of that has to do with the game planning aspect.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,500 Times in 2,337 Posts

they are who we thought they were, the eagles are who we thought they were, THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
they are who we thought they were, the eagles are who we thought they were, THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE
Looking at Vince Young alone and dejected on the sidelines late in the game, do you think he regrets the whole "Dream Team" statement and how much of a lightning rod it's become?

Not a good way to start "fresh" with a new team by drawing all that undue attention and expectation to yourself and the team. A lot to live up to. Especially since it's not going to be his ass cashing that check on the field (barring injury).

Old 08-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
"YOU WANNA CROWN THEIR ASS, THEN CROWN 'EM!!!!!"

One of my favorite meltdowns quotes of all time.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote