Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #21
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: So NO ONE on this roster can win the RG job....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BaileyFan View Post
Bullshit. Tony Hills is going to be an excellent RG, he is getting his chance and I have no doubt he will make the most of it. The Steelers will be fine at corner, we had bad corners last year and made the big dance.

People need to stop being melodramatic about these two positions.
He was drafted as a tackle though...and he can't even crack that position...and NO other corner on the roster is better than BMac? all dude does is give up 30 yard cushions to wr'sthen rushes in to make the tackle after giving up a first down recepton...gay tries to cover but is slower than Casey Hampton...doesn't anyone get tired of watching him chase tight ends down the field after a catch? they are a Little TO DEPENDENT ON THE BLITZ and need to concentrate on getting more people that can cover, especially since teams are catching up to it...i mean Chad Henne smoked them last season...Henne
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #22
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Don't you think the coaches tell Bryant McFadden to play off the ball like that? He plays within a scheme, he's not a rogue.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,473 Times in 2,751 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Don't you think the coaches tell Bryant McFadden to play off the ball like that? He plays within a scheme, he's not a rogue.
they probably tell him to play off like that cause he can't cover. if we have a better #2 than mcfadden, we won't have to scheme around that weakness
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #24
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
they probably tell him to play off like that cause he can't cover. if we have a better #2 than mcfadden, we won't have to scheme around that weakness

Thank You...
Old 08-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #25
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

The Steelers don't play pure cover because they're more interested in not giving up big plays than they are in making big plays. It has a lot more to do with the system that they choose to run than it does the personnel. Is Bryant McFadden one of the best #2 corners in the league? No, probably not. Is he better than a lot of other teams' #2 corners? Yeah, probably. But nobody else on the roster has as of yet shown that they are better than him, and this was not a good year to try to bring in a free agent starter in the secondary either.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #26
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
The Steelers don't play pure cover because they're more interested in not giving up big plays than they are in making big plays. It has a lot more to do with the system that they choose to run than it does the personnel. Is Bryant McFadden one of the best #2 corners in the league? No, probably not. Is he better than a lot of other teams' #2 corners? Yeah, probably. But nobody else on the roster has as of yet shown that they are better than him, and this was not a good year to try to bring in a free agent starter in the secondary either.
trust me dude..if Bmac was a cover corner like Taylor he would not be playing off like that...and the D is structured for the Big Play...they blitz every down, sacks are big plays
Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #27
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
You're wasting your time trying to make a point here. He doesn't care for the FO and has suggested that the players are HGH junkies. Yet, somehow he's a fan
I know I'm wasting my time. And usually I don't even waste it making a comment back but I was in a bad mood. I agree about him being a "fan". With fans like him we don't need enemies.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #28
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Oh no. You can't ever question anything that the front office or ownership
does! You aren't worthy. And you can't possibly identify any mistakes that
they made because they are perfect. It was smart to virtually ignore the
QB position since drafting Bradshaw until Ben. It was smart to give
Kordell a new contract when he had two years remaining on his old one
and was playing like the worst QB in the NFL. It was smart to draft Scott
Shields, Alonzo Jackson, Bruce Davis, Spaeth, Ricardo Colclough, Limas
Sweed, Jermain Stephens, Huey Richardson, et al. They are infallible. We
are not allowed to question anything they do because we are so inferior.
It is actually smart to make Ben a $100 million QB and that not ensure he
doesn't have even an average OL to protect him. Hell, it was smart to keep
a CB unit of Chad Scott and Dwayne Washington. They were really good.
So, we wiffed on some draft picks over the last 15-20 years, who hasn't? The fact that we have been competing in for playoff spots, division championships, superbowls, for the past decade says something about the FO. They are smart and really good at what they do. Of course, like every other human being, they make mistakes. The gap between Ben and Terry Was a HUGE one IMO, as we still competed, but were missing the final peice. Draft wiffs are pretty normal IMO, but the FO has done a phenomenal job keeping the steelers in the running for a superbowl almost every single year for the past 10 years.
I have probably have more faith in the oline to hold up this year than most people. Ibam very excited and optimistic about this unit. I am also excited to see the young CBS get some playing time for the young CBs. I think that they will grow into formidable group.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #29
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

There is a bunch of cheerleaders on this board. It seems that anyone who criticizes any part of this team is seen as the bad guy or the guy who thinks we're going 0-16 but that's not the case.

Every team has it's weaknesses, some moreso than others, and the Steelers are no exception. If we all agreed that the Steelers were a great team (which they are) and nothing was wrong with them (which is false) this board would 1. delusional and 2. boring. We understand that you can't have star players at every position in the salary cap era, but there's always room to get better. We made it to the SB last year but we still can improve on our secondary and solidify jobs on the offensive line. I mean no other team in the NFL is playing musical chairs with RG, LT and LG like we are. Our secondary is horrendous and anyone who thinks differently is out of their mind. But the Steelers FO is making steps (half assed ones) at improving it by bringing in a bunch of guys like Macho Harris and trying new starters like Donovan Warren.

So please, stop freaking out by the criticisms made by other posters on this board.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #30
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
trust me dude..if Bmac was a cover corner like Taylor he would not be playing off like that...and the D is structured for the Big Play...they blitz every down, sacks are big plays
No kidding McFadden is not a cover corner. The problem that you are having, however, is that you assume only cover corners are the truly good corners. Pure cover corners are not necessarily good fits for the Steelers either. With the exception of the few elite pure cover corners in the league (like Revis and Asomugha), they are much more susceptible to giving up the big play because they are more liable to freelance and take risks, something that the zone blitz does in a calculated way that leaves behind protection to limit the big play. My comment about the 'big play' was meant more specifically for the cornerback play in this sense. The cornerback's top priority in the Steeler scheme is not to allow a big play (in fact, the Steelers allowed only 1 play of 20+ yards last night, and that was late in the 4th quarter). They are not given carte blanche like somebody like Asante Samuel is at the CB position to take risks the way he did last night, including Ike Taylor. They are disciplined to maintain their assignments and let others make the plays because that is the way that Lebeau's defense works best. His defense would still work best this way even if they had better pure talent at the CB position. But you can't, for example, blame McFadden for playing that far off the ball when he's told to play that far off the ball. Remember, an 18 yard completion on 3rd and 20 is a victory.

Edit: It's seriously idiotic (or at least reactionary) to say that the secondary is "horrendous". It's when people say things like this that people like me stop taking you seriously. People that act like the secondary having bad games against elite offenses is a problem inherent only to the Steelers are overwhelmingly shortsighted.