Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #21
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370
Default Re: steelers interested in Pryor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Steelers are regarded as deep at QB - NFL Network was speculating this evening that if Peyton Manning really will not be ready to go in week one the Colts might be looking at whomever the Steelers cut
Ok then that proves my point. Why are we even looking at this guy?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #22
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdandlong View Post
I'm not sure I would want him, unless he could be a WR. I feel like teams that employ the wildcat don't have a good quarterback, so they have to fool you to be successful. If he can catch, he could take what we thought would be Limas Sweed's role.
oh how someone has quickly forgotten Randle El

he doesn't have to be a wildcat guy to work a classic Steeler gadget play
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #23
sharkweek
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallabeast17 View Post
Ok then that proves my point. Why are we even looking at this guy?
because we're just as likely to cut Dixon now, and Batch and Leftwich aren't getting any younger

besides, Pryor is a freak of nature purely on athleticism and his potential a plethora of positions, not just QB

That being said, IMO he's always come across to me as if he really has it in his head that he's going to be an all star QB, the prize position, and thus really wouldn't be happy or content as a converted player and/or slash.

Heck it was a problem we had experience with Kordell Stewart
Old 08-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #24
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Dixon to Reggie Wayne=championship
Old 08-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #25
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkweek View Post

besides, Pryor is a freak of nature purely on athleticism and his potential a plethora of positions, not just QB

Heck it was a problem we had experience with Kordell Stewart
Bingo

Stewart never had a good throwing motion and it fell apart under pressure in big games - IMO he was better suited to play WR with some gadget plays as he was used in 1995-96

Pryor is a great athlete but (unlike Cam Newton) his throwing mechanics are horrible - and unlike NCAA ball the defenders are as fast and strong as Pryor is - hoping a great athlete with a lousy throwing motion who had success in college (Tim Tebow) will develop into a serviceable NFL QB is a foolish gamble

Steelers presumably will stay away
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #26
sharkweek
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't think they'd stay away, however I think its a pipe dream to get a player with with that much athletic talent/size for for a throwaway draftpick. The Steelers are one of the winningest franchises in the Superbowl era because they don't make perennially stupid moves like some other franchises (the Bengals)

Heck, since you brought up Tebow, that's just a perfect example - the Broncos were absolutely dumb enough to draft him with a first round pick (should have been 3rd round or lower, teams would have been dumb to draft him even in the 2nd round where most people thought he'd land)...granted, Tebow's character helped him out there whereas Pryor's is bound to hurt, but the point still stands, some team will be dumb enough to outbid the Steelers, there's no way we waste a 3rd round pick or higher* on Pryor without knowing he'll happily commit 100% to whatever we make him do seeing as we're more than set for QB.

*granted, with our lackluster performance picking in the 2nd round maybe we would
Old 08-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #27
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,014 Times in 425 Posts

I don't know how I really think about this. Will have more later, haha. I just don't see the use anywhere on the field plus he's serving a 5 game suspension. What good will be made? ZILCH.

Last edited by StainlessStill; 08-21-2011 at 10:00 PM.
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #28
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,157 Posts

Quote:
Bingo

Stewart never had a good throwing motion and it fell apart under pressure in big games - IMO he was better suited to play WR with some gadget plays as he was used in 1995-96

Pryor is a great athlete but (unlike Cam Newton) his throwing mechanics are horrible - and unlike NCAA ball the defenders are as fast and strong as Pryor is - hoping a great athlete with a lousy throwing motion who had success in college (Tim Tebow) will develop into a serviceable NFL QB is a foolish gamble

stewart was a 2nd round gamble , tebow was a first. both in my opinion went 3 rounds earlier than they should have. one of the talking heads on espn radio said he expects someone will pony up a 5th to 7th round pick for him. like dixon , had pryor played 1 more year , some sucker, like the moron in denver , would have pissed away a first round pick for him. all i'm suggesting is , since the colbert era he's only hit on about 15% of fifth round picks ,why not put in a 5th round bid ? odds are whoever they pick next year in the fifth won't amount to much anyway... i'm not even suggesting he'll be a good backup qb , but his athleticism certainly has caught a lot of teams attention , including the steelers.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #29
SteelersTilIDie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4943

I don't understand why y'all wouldn't take a flyer on him in the fifth round. He is a freak athlete who has a lot of experience and is a winner and can play a plethora of positions. If he doesn't pan out, just cut him it's not like 5th round picks have a ton of value anyway. He made a nice TD catch in the fiesta bowl against texas his freshmen year btw, so he can catch.

“Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it.”~Chuck Noll
SteelersTilIDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #30
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

i think hes worth a 4th.

can he punt?