Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329
Default Re: New Roster Prediction after Eagles game

The new kickoff rules have essentially made players like Battle obsolete so I would use his roster spot for an extra DB or maybe W. Sanders at TE. Of course this is assuming that Suisham(sp?) can actually kick it deep enough to force touchbacks.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #22
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
The new kickoff rules have essentially made players like Battle obsolete so I would use his roster spot for an extra DB or maybe W. Sanders at TE. Of course this is assuming that Suisham(sp?) can actually kick it deep enough to force touchbacks.
In today's NFL, you probably want 6 WRs on the roster. If not Battle, then it will be Grisham. They won't pull a WR spot for a 4th TE or an 8th DB.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #23
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
No matter how good Battles plays special teams are you really going to have him active over the 5 guys in front of him.
This is a good point that I have not considered before. As you say even if they keep Battle, it would be a weekly struggle for him to even get a helmet on game day. Yet we also must consider the possibility that the Steelers elect to dress 2 QBs on gameday and use the 46th man for a special teamer, which would very likely be Battle.

And people keep forgetting that the new kickoff rule does nothing to change punts.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #24
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

I just think you are really weakening your offense by not dressing Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery in favor of Battles.

As far as Grisham, what do people see in this guy, come on he is thrown the ball deep and he is too slow and not tall enough to even make a play on the ball. This guy has done nothing in the preseason to have him make an NFL roster.

We need for our future to hold onto an extra DB, not a 6th receiver. The xtra DB we hold on to (Warren or Allen or Harris) at least has a chance to be a starter some day unlike Battles or Grisham.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #25
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
This is a good point that I have not considered before. As you say even if they keep Battle, it would be a weekly struggle for him to even get a helmet on game day. Yet we also must consider the possibility that the Steelers elect to dress 2 QBs on gameday and use the 46th man for a special teamer, which would very likely be Battle.

And people keep forgetting that the new kickoff rule does nothing to change punts.
Battle played QB in college. He could be an emergency QB if needed.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #26
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

One thing that we must consider is players that other teams release.

More than likely, someone of experience or more talent will be released by another team. We should consider picking them up instead of having guys like Chris Scott or K. williams take up a roster space.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #27
SteelersTilIDie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4943

Quote:
No matter how good Battles plays special teams are you really going to have him active over the 5 guys in front of him. This is not the year to keep 6 receivers when there is so much young talent elsewhere on the roster mainly Cornerback and Linebacker. Also wouldn't bet on 7 D-Lineman either. Corbin Bryant on the practice squad would be available if anyone sustains a serious injury.

And because we are seeing Donovan Warren all over the place is that a good thing. Sure he is getting tackles but all that means is the guy he is covering is catching balls in front of him. I have yet to see him break up a pass. Does anyone know if he has a pass defended to his stats? One thing for sure he plays tighter then McFadden does.
Receiver is the position in which the Steelers have the most young talent. Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, and Tyler Grisham on the practice squad is one of the most formidable young receiving groups in the league. The Steelers also always keep 7 defensive linemen. Who outside of the 8 linebackers I included would you even suggest make the team over a specials teams ace like Battle and contribute in a way other than on special teams?

“Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it.”~Chuck Noll
SteelersTilIDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #28
SteelersTilIDie
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
In today's NFL, you probably want 6 WRs on the roster. If not Battle, then it will be Grisham. They won't pull a WR spot for a 4th TE or an 8th DB.
I 100% agree thank God someone else understands

Old 08-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #29
SteelersTilIDie
Bench Warmer

Quote:
I just think you are really weakening your offense by not dressing Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery in favor of Battles.

As far as Grisham, what do people see in this guy, come on he is thrown the ball deep and he is too slow and not tall enough to even make a play on the ball. This guy has done nothing in the preseason to have him make an NFL roster.

We need for our future to hold onto an extra DB, not a 6th receiver. The xtra DB we hold on to (Warren or Allen or Harris) at least has a chance to be a starter some day unlike Battles or Grisham.
Sanders, Brown, and Cotchery are all obviously going to dress for every game and Donovan Warren is going to make the team anyway and it's absurd to think that a team in this modern day passing NFL would forsake a solid receiver and special teamer that will play for an 8th corner who is a project and wouldn't even see the field anyway and belongs on the practice squad. Also his name is Arnaz BATTLE (no s)

Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #30
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

The Steelers must keep either 6 DL, 5 WR, or 3 RB in order to carry SEVEN CBs, not 8.

The Steelers are guaranteed to carry 3 QBs. Add to that 3 ST. Then 8 LBs. Then 9 OL. Then 4 S. Then 3 TE. These are positional numbers that are pretty stable as locks, meaning that it is highly unlikely that they carry more or less than these numbers. That leaves 23 spots for RB, WR, DL, and CB:

3 QB
3 ST
8 LB
9 OL
4 S
3 TE
------

------

One of these positions will have to carry one less player than one would like (3 RB instead of 4, 5 WR instead of 6, 6 DL instead of 7, 6 CB instead of 7). It is difficult to determine the odd man out based on both positional need and who the actual player in question is. In this instance, it is Jonathan Dwyer, Arnaz Battle, McLendon/Bryant/Gray, and Butler/Warren/Allen. In my opinion, it is more crucial to carry 7 DL than to have maximal capacity at the other positions due to the age of the NTs on the roster. So in my scenario, that leaves 16 spots for RB, WR, and CB. CB is a positional weakness in general for the Steelers and they harbor a number of younger players with undeveloped potential, so I feel it's important to carry as much of them as possible, where at least one of Butler, Warren, and Allen will have to be sacrificed just to carry 7. So that leaves 9 spots between RB and WR.

I'm honestly not sure which spot I believe to be more valuable. It would be difficult for either to get a helmet on gameday, so having a special teams ace that makes $1M+ as the 6th receiver is a difficult proposition. On the other hand, Jonathan Dwyer has shown an improvement, significantly, in his game without the ball in his hands, and this includes special teams play. He has shown a willingness and ability to block and a willingness and ability to play special teams, so if a 4th RB can play special teams, I believe that is more valuable than a 6th WR that can play special teams. Dwyer can step in to be the #2 pure runner should Mendenhall or Redman get injured during the season. However, if Ward, Wallace, or Sanders get injured, it would be Brown and Cotchery taking their place. Using this analysis, I conclude that Arnaz Battle no longer needs his roster spot, especially if new young players like Chris Carter and Curtis Brown prove to be the special teamers they have purported to be.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote