Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #21
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers Extend Lawrence Timmons 5 years $50 mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
What about Kiesel and Hampton too? Especially after a 3rd ring?
I see both of these guys hanging around at least one more year. We need Hampton one more year, to tudor the new NT that we draft next year.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
I could see Farrior, Foote, Ward, and Smith gone after this year. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to lose Kiesel,Hoke, and Hampton as well.
If Ward gets to 10,000, he probably will retire.

Regardless of whether he retires or not, Aaron Smith will probably play his last season with the Steelers in 2011.

I hope Hampton doesn't leave. We have nobody to play NT without him!

Kiesel will play another couple seasons.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #23
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Tagging Troy would keep him from shopping his wares, but it wouldn't help with the cap if we're up against it. We'd be oblige to pay him the average of the top 5 at his position (I'm assuming the new CBA has this or a very similar formula in place... anybody know for sure?) If there's no room for his money, there's no room for his money. Why would we tag a guy we can't afford?

No, the only way to keep Troy (and I think we will) is big cuts and/or attrition at the end of the year. The names already tossed around here are likely targets.

Last edited by ricardisimo; 08-23-2011 at 05:20 PM.
ricardisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #24
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Tagging Troy would keep him from shopping his wares, but it wouldn't help with the cap if we're up against it. We'd be oblige to pay him the average of the top 5 at his position (I'm assuming the new CBA has this or a very similar formula in place... anybody know for sure?) If there's no room for his money, there's no room for his money. Why would we tag a guy we can't afford.

No, the only way to keep Troy (and I think we will) is big cuts and/or attrition at the end of the year. The names already tossed around here are likely targets.
I think there will be a big cap jump next year.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #25
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,968 Times in 892 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Adjust his meds?

Smith was great but his body has just broken down - i am amazed they did not at least have him take a haircut on his contract

Smith must have pictures of Tomlin and Colbert in very compromising positions
that's what i was thinking too
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #26
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Tagging Troy would keep him from shopping his wares, but it wouldn't help with the cap if we're up against it. We'd be oblige to pay him the average of the top 5 at his position (I'm assuming the new CBA has this or a very similar formula in place... anybody know for sure?) If there's no room for his money, there's no room for his money. Why would we tag a guy we can't afford?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
I think there will be a big cap jump next year.
This, plus they rarely actually allow players to play under the franchise tag. They franchise a player and then negotiate a new contract which is far more cap friendly. You know, like they did with Woodley this year. Polamalu's new contract will not force the Steelers to cut anybody more likely than not. I'm confident that it gets done before the start of next year's regular season. Until then, it really doesn't matter.

And what's with everybody wanting to run Aaron Smith out of town all of a sudden? It's not like they're going to sign a starting CB in the next two weeks, so what exactly do the Steelers benefit in 2011 by cutting him? He is the starting left defensive end of the best defense in the league, and rotating Ziggy Hood in and out on both the left and right side will help to keep both veterans fresh. If he does manage to get injured again, then it's not the end of the world since there's already a starter in waiting.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #27
3rdandlong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17001

I'm not a salary cap expert, but I don't see how we will be able to sign Troy and then Mike Wallace next year. As painful as it is, someone has to go. I'd let Wallace go. He's one if the best deep threats in the game, but he hasn't shown himself to be a complete receiver, so far. Our receiving corps is so deep that I'm willing to take a haircut in that area. But if we let Wallace go, Hines could decide to retire since he would be entering his 14 season. That would make Sanders, Brown, and Cotchery the top three receivers.
3rdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #28
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I doubt there will be a need for cuts. As was previously mentioned, the salary cap will be higher, and there will be more cap exemptions again next season as well, up to $1.5M I believe. Plus I do believe that there will be at least one retirement. Chris Hoke and Aaron Smith could very well be in their last seasons. The front office knows how to structure deals to make them cap friendly as well. If need be, there are others that did not restructure this year that can still clear more cap space next year.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #29
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

I said it before I 'll say it again the Steelers did the smart thing signing Timmons because his franchise tag next year would have been for over 10 Million. Troy if he is franchised would get the average of the top 5 Safeties which would actually be paying him less then he would receive per year on a new deal. Considering his age and health this is the smart route to take.

Next year's cap will go up a bit but it will explode with the new TV contract coming a few years from now. Guys may seem to be getting a lot now but wait to you see the contracts after the new TV deal.

Nose Tackles play a long time in this league, don't look to see Hampton gone anytime soon, but the Steelers will have the money to keep the team together minus salaries like Aaron Smith, and Farrior.

The guy I would worry about the most is Mike Wallace. Not next year as he will be restricted but after that. If he played with a more accurate down field passer like Manning, or Brady this guy would be Randy Moss in his prime and with no attitude. He gets open every game, often. Ben and him have to work on getting in sync as they can be deadly this year.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #30
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

There is no way on earth they will let Wallace get away. Are you kidding? He has the potential to be one of the top WRs in the NFL over the next few years. Get real. They will find a way to keep him on the team.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote