Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #21
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 924
Member Number: 11280
Thanks: 1
Thanked 101 Times in 56 Posts
Default Re: Scouts Inc Top 200 NFL players (14 steelers on list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post


Awesome coverage by Taylor.

That coverage was horrible...but it wouldn't have mattered. If Ike was all over him that ball would have still landed right in his arms...he couldn't have thrown a better ball. Rod Woodson in his prime couldn't have defended that.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,290
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,917
Thanked 8,306 Times in 3,522 Posts
Default Re: Scouts Inc Top 200 NFL players (14 steelers on list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Hines is lucky to be on the list at all. There's at least 20 receivers in the league that are better than him at this point in his career. So before you argue some obvious homerism, I'll list 20 of them from the top of my head:

1. Andre Johnson
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Calvin Johnson
4. Greg Jennings
5. Reggie Wayne
6. Mike Wallace
7. DeSean Jackson
8. Hakeem Nicks
9. Brandon Marshall
10. Santonio Holmes
11. Steve Limas Sweed Johnson
12. Anquan Boldin
12. Vincent Jackson
13. Marques Colston
14. Miles Austin
15. Dwayne Bowe
16. Roddy White
17. Mike Williams
18. Jeremy Maclin
19. Dez Bryant
20. Sidney Rice

Update: 21. Antonio Brown.
the fact that roddy white was 16th "off the top of your head" explains alot.

theres alot of 1 hit wonders in there, and only 1 is a SB mvp (former steelers who attributes his professionalism to ward) and none listed are the respective leaders of most statistical categories in their teams franchise. none have a mirror ball trophy or the esteem as the "nfl's most dirtiest player". none has rules enacted to prevent them from playing whistle to whistle and blasting a defender.

do you really think half these clowns listed in your list could mentor e. sanders or a. brown?

if so, i point and laugh in your general direction. (and make no mistake, brandon marshall is a clown. im suprised you didnt list kenny britt.)

jerry rice certainly wasnt the best WR in the league when he was with the raiders, but he definitely was a major contributor to their SB run.

and ultimately, that is what really matters when it comes to a team player in a team game.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 AM   #23
DanRooney
Banned
 
DanRooney's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 1,869
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16248
Thanks: 2
Thanked 151 Times in 103 Posts
Default Re: Scouts Inc Top 200 NFL players (14 steelers on list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the fact that roddy white was 16th "off the top of your head" explains alot.

theres alot of 1 hit wonders in there, and only 1 is a SB mvp (former steelers who attributes his professionalism to ward) and none listed are the respective leaders of most statistical categories in their teams franchise. none have a mirror ball trophy or the esteem as the "nfl's most dirtiest player". none has rules enacted to prevent them from playing whistle to whistle and blasting a defender.

do you really think half these clowns listed in your list could mentor e. sanders or a. brown?

if so, i point and laugh in your general direction.

jerry rice certainly wasnt the best WR in the league when he was with the raiders, but he definitely was a major contributor to their SB run.

and ultimately, that is what really matters when it comes to a team player in a team game.
This list obviously wasn't in order. As I mentioned, this came from the top of my head and there's probably more that are better than Ward at this point of his career.

What does mentoring WRs have anything to do with being the better WR at this point of their careers? Charlie Batch mentored Ben for years (I think he still tries to) but I don't see him anywhere on the top of the NFL's 200 list. Lots of veteran players mentor younger guys. I would take any of those WRs I listed over Ward right now. Mike Wallace is technically a one hit wonder. Would you resign Ward or Mike Wallace next year if you had an option of the two?

Ward had an amazing career. Obviously, you would take Ward's CAREER over many of those player's careers on the list if you're talking HOF eligibility. But if you want to talk about career, I would have put in guys like Randy Moss and T.O. instead of some of the younger players.

Talking now and into the future, Ward doesn't really deserve to be ranked high on a top 200 list.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,290
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,917
Thanked 8,306 Times in 3,522 Posts
Default Re: Scouts Inc Top 200 NFL players (14 steelers on list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
This list obviously wasn't in order. As I mentioned, this came from the top of my head and there's probably more that are better than Ward at this point of his career.

What does mentoring WRs have anything to do with being the better WR at this point of their careers? Charlie Batch mentored Ben for years (I think he still tries to) but I don't see him anywhere on the top of the NFL's 200 list. Lots of veteran players mentor younger guys. I would take any of those WRs I listed over Ward right now. Mike Wallace is technically a one hit wonder. Would you resign Ward or Mike Wallace next year if you had an option of the two?

Ward had an amazing career. Obviously, you would take Ward's CAREER over many of those player's careers on the list if you're talking HOF eligibility. But if you want to talk about career, I would have put in guys like Randy Moss and T.O. instead of some of the younger players.

Talking now and into the future, Ward doesn't really deserve to be ranked high on a top 200 list.
charlie batch never qb'd a team to 3 superbowls. never won an mvp.

your argument is like saying joe montana wasnt a top 200 player in the league as soon as he went to the cheifs, simple because he was nearing the end of the road.

some people (like myself and the steelers org) are just into more than fantasy football stats.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #25
DanRooney
Banned
 
DanRooney's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 1,869
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16248
Thanks: 2
Thanked 151 Times in 103 Posts
Default Re: Scouts Inc Top 200 NFL players (14 steelers on list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
charlie batch never qb'd a team to 3 superbowls. never won an mvp.

your argument is like saying joe montana wasnt a top 200 player in the league as soon as he went to the cheifs, simple because he was nearing the end of the road.

some people (like myself and the steelers org) are just into more than fantasy football stats.
So you're trying to tell me Brett Favre was a top 200 player last year with the Vikings because he won a SB and was MVP in 1997?
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #26
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,290
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,917
Thanked 8,306 Times in 3,522 Posts
Default Re: Scouts Inc Top 200 NFL players (14 steelers on list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
So you're trying to tell me Brett Favre was a top 200 player last year with the Vikings because he won a SB and was MVP in 1997?
did you happen to see him play in 2009?

its easy to say he sucked after the fact. thats the easy way out.

did you happen to see his salary in 2010? easilly top 20, let alone top 200.

revisionist history doesnt make you any more correct in your assessment that ward isnt a top 200 player.

i think (and pretty much know) you are wrong. nothing you have said to this point (or will likely say in the future) will change that.

__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #27
DanRooney
Banned
 
DanRooney's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 1,869
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16248
Thanks: 2
Thanked 151 Times in 103 Posts
Default Re: Scouts Inc Top 200 NFL players (14 steelers on list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
did you happen to see him play in 2009?

its easy to say he sucked after the fact. thats the easy way out.

did you happen to see his salary in 2010? easilly top 20, let alone top 200.

revisionist history doesnt make you any more correct in your assessment that ward isnt a top 200 player.

i think (and pretty much know) you are wrong. nothing you have said to this point (or will likely say in the future) will change that.

You mention his salary as a reason he was top 20 in Favre's final year? The one where he threw 11 TDs and 20 INTs? Favre's year with the Jets and his final year were more on point to where he was at that point of his career. If anything, his first year with the Vikings was more indicative of just how important Sidney Rice was to their offense. That team was stacked with weapons. I remember him scoring so many touchdowns from inside the 5 because defenses were almost positive AP was going to run it in.

Anyway, in a nutshell, you're arguing:
-Favre is one of the elite QBs in the league still (and he should come out of retirement)
-Ward is one of the elite WRs in the league still (and he shouldn't retire anytime soon)

And I'm disagreeing 100%. If you think you are right, you need to have your head checked.

Are you still one of the guys hoping Willie Parker returns?
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts