Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 09-05-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
effyou515
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18713
Default Steelers headed for salary cap hell in 2012?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09...-hell-in-2012/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big changes comming about for the Steelers in the next couple of years. A lot veterans will be gone replaced by the young.
effyou515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
effyou515
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18713
Default Re: Steelers headed for salary cap hell in 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by effyou515 View Post
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09...-hell-in-2012/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big changes comming about for the Steelers in the next couple of years. A lot veterans will be gone replaced by the young.
forgot to say Pittsburgh West will be getting more players from the real Pittsburgh.
effyou515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,405 Times in 2,725 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by effyou515 View Post
forgot to say Pittsburgh West will be getting more players from the real Pittsburgh.
they need to start scouting their own talent or they'll continue being 'almost a champion'
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
they need to start scouting their own talent or they'll continue being 'almost a champion'
It's moot. Warner's retired, and he was the only thing that got them as far as they went.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

The mods here will certainly have their hands full with the sky is falling crowd next year.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
Steeldude
Living Legend

veterans that could be release for salary caps reason are...

hampton
smith
foote
farrior
mcfadden
clark
battle
kiesel

i am not saying they will all be released, but they aren't all going to stay.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

The only thing that concerns me out of all that is that Wallace will be a free agent and Sanders and Brown will be in there last year. We got to lock up some of these receivers. I'm not sure how much longer Hines will play, but if we win a super bowl this year he will retire for sure, he might retire anyway. I think the offense is going to be explosive this year with all these great receivers and we can't afford to let them all go in the next year or 2. I think Harrison's situation is all up to his back, if he gets on track and plays like he has been then he will play another year or two after this season, if not it might be his last anyway. I don't think all the vets are going to retire at the end of this year, some, but not all of them, so we will see if the Steelers actually cut some of them. If the cap is increasing in 2013 then we can take care of Brown and Sanders then (provided they have a good/great next two years), and it looks like we will be keeping Troy under the franchise tag, so the only real concern in 2012 is can we keep Wallace? The d line will not all retire at the end of the year and we got Hood and Heyward, at the end of this year we will still have Woodley, Timmons and possibly Harrison at LB, and the DB's will probably be the same unless one of the young corners plays really well and takes McFadden's spot. So overall I don't think this is a bad situation, but in my opinion it's a little to early to be talking about all this, we need to see how some players play this year and how the team does.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

In sanders and brown play well there is a very good chance Wallace will be gone. When his contract is up he's going to want to be paid as a top 3 or top 5 Wr and we wont do it if we don't have to. I don't see Wallace giving a hometown discount.

[QUOTE=tanda10506;940584]The only thing that concerns me out of all that is that Wallace will be a free agent and Sanders and Brown will be in there last year. We got to lock up some of these receivers. I'm not sure how much longer Hines will play, but if we win a super bowl this year he will retire for sure, he might retire anyway. I think the offense is going to be explosive this year with all these great receivers and we can't afford to let them all go in the next year or 2. I think Harrison's situation is all up to his back, if he gets on track and plays like he has been then he will play another year or two after this season, if not it might be his last anyway. I don't think all the vets are going to retire at the end of this year, some, but not all of them, so we will see if the Steelers actually cut some of them. If the cap is increasing in 2013 then we can take care of Brown and Sanders then (provided they have a good/great next two years), and it looks like we will be keeping Troy under the franchise tag, so the only real concern in 2012 is can we keep Wallace? The d line will not all retire at the end of the year and we got Hood and Heyward, at the end of this year we will still have Woodley, Timmons and possibly Harrison at LB, and the DB's will probably be the same unless one of the young corners plays really well and takes McFadden's spot. So overall I don't think this is a bad situation, but in my opinion it's a little to early to be talking about all this, we need to see how some players play this year and how the team does.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
veterans that could be release for salary caps reason are...

hampton
smith
foote
farrior
mcfadden
clark
battle
kiesel

i am not saying they will all be released, but they aren't all going to stay.
The 2 biggest names aren't on this list. Ward and Harrison are both gone imo. The Steelers will politely ask Hines to call it a career after another declining season for the aging vet so they don't have to cut him and Harrison was gone next year anyway. If this back issue hampers him at all this season that just solidifies he's gone for sure. They will lock up Wallace provided another big season doesn't get him thinking he's a top 5 receiver and want paid like that. He's not by the way. He's a top 5 deep threat if not the best, but as an overall receiver he needs to sure up his route running and get open more often.
3 catches for 100 yards and a TD was his typical stat line last year. I'd like to see him average 7 catches a game. If he gets 7 catches, he will break 1 of them.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Arizona Cardinals key 2012 additions:

Aaron Smith
James Farrior
Larry Foote
James Harrison
William Gay
Ryan Clark
Chris Kemoeato
& Bryant Mcfadden (no just kidding, they know all about him)
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote