Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #21
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Are the Steelers better or worse than last year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTFan View Post
Gotta say, I'm impressed with both the civility and objectivity of this board.

Our biggest problems might happen early in the season as our OL hasn't played together for even one snap, and we've got a new secondary. As for Flacco, I used to be real high on him, but he's got to have a breakout year if he wants to be considered elite by anyone other than himself.

Interesting to hear that Ben is releasing the ball sooner. One of his strengths has been, well, his strength. He's let you guys get by with a subpar OL for years because he's so tough to sack. As he's getting older, he may not want to get hit as much and it may hurt more too. Your receivers scare me, especially if we can't generate pressure on Ben. Our new DC is more aggressive than Mattison was, but that doesn;'t come without risk.

How do you guys feel about the Sun, 1p start? Seems like a bad choiice by the NFL, or an attempt to sell more Sunday Ticket subscriptions.

Here's to a great game.
Why do you think a 1pm start seems like a bad start........Isnt that the time football is actually played?......Steelers love 1pm starts!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I think we might be worse in one aspect: Harrison's back injury/surgery/recovery. If he can't get any consistent pressure from his side, and our already inconsistent corners are asked to do their jobs that much longer on each play, it's going to be a long season. These new receivers of ours had better score buckets.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #23
Corey_J
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16584

Our team overall is much better. With them moving the kickoffs up , one of our achilles heals was that damn kick off coverage. So now most of the time the offense will start out at the 20vs. our D. Cmon, thats help right there. Our OL is a consern for me but weve been saying that for almost 6 years ! Some how with one the ELITE QBs in the game behind that throwing to the most competitive WR corp in the league they will get the job done. Not to mention is our running game which has a slew of talent in it ! Our D will be just fine ! Maybe even better. Our DBs will have to step it up for sure , but we will still get to the QB with strategy from the best DC in the buisness. Harrison and Polamalu hurting is a bit of strain , BUT we have ryan clark in whom we can bring on the blitz vs. troy and keep troy incoverage to scare offenses. Harrison on the other hand has to be looking over his shoulder imo for J Worilds. This guy is going to get playing time and will perform. Timmons is a beast in the middle and may be one of the best in the buis. OH and with the 30th ranked schedule I dont see why we are even thinking we wont win this division. Sorry Ratbird fans.............this wont be your year either !
Old 09-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #24
Moose
Water Boy

Member Number: 18658

Hey CTfan--welcome aboard. As obvious, we won't know the answer to your question for sure until the end of season, but my opinion is I feel we really haven't lost too much step from last year. I really like some of our dratfs and rookies. I feel there are going to be some rookies that will step up big this year, and I feel there will be the one or two players that will really excell. But on the other hand, we also have some player's that we still wonder why they are on the payroll. Just as I'm sure you do with your team. I think it will be a really good year again (barring any injuries ). I'm looking forward to the 1st game....sorry, can't wish you luck for your team though.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #25
SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13033

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTFan View Post
Ben has always been good at finding the open receiver, so a spread offense makes sense, especially with that receivng crew you've got. We've had problems drafting receivers in that past, although I think we've got some good ones this year, especially if Torrey Smith develops, which is no guarantee.

The Ravens have really focused on making changes that will help us compete against your team. Call it an obsession, but what else really matters if you can't be #1 in your division? Our pass rush was only 27th in sacks last year so we'll be blitzing more. Kruger, who we tried to turn into a DL by force feeding him milshakes, is now an OLB and he's had a good PS. Kindle is the big question mark, but he looks like he's okay and can really get into the backfield quickly (as long as there's no stairs involved).

Our offense should be a lot better too, but it depends on whether Flacco steps up. Should he get injured, Tyrod Taylor (Rookie, VATech) has impressed everyone. IMO, if he get an opportunity to start in a handful of games, it's somewhat Flacco may never get his job back.
Kindle, Kruger and Webb blitzed effectively in your preseason, and McPhee and Art Jones provided some inside rush. It's just a matter of consistent pressure - if you send 5-6 against 3 of our WRs, you HAVE to get Ben contained and down. If not, our young receivers will torch you. I think Pagano is taking the right approach - the Steelers have had marginal corners but our pass rush compensates, and I think that's the direction Pagano is taking your defense. It's just that you must execute.

Welcome aboard. Nice to talk to an intelligent Ravens fan.
SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #26
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

I suspect we will be better on offense and worse on defense. Over all about the same.... but I think we'll win games a little differently then we have in the past..... by scoring a lot of points. We'll also lose some games a little differently then we're used to.... (by getting lit up)

I'm one of the few that is very worried about our pass rush. I think a drop in our pass rushing and bad corner play could mean some long days at the office. I also am a little worried about our rush defense. We are pretty old up front. That said I still think we are legit SB contenders.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #27
CTFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 18739

Thanks for the welcome Moose and SFSIB. We're all fans so we all wear tinted glasses at time, but it sure is fun to have good teams to cheer for.

STB, I just think Ravens-Steelers games should all be in Prime Time so more people can enjoy them.
CTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #28
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645

Not adding to the thread, but Corey_J, I love that clip you have running in your post of Harrison and that hapless Card. I almost felt bad for #47 (almost, I recall what Harrison was PO'd about), I kept thinking this must be what a gazelle feels like when a lion has her....
wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #29
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,913 Times in 2,320 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Re on Harrison v. Aaron Francisco - didnt Francisco try to take a cheap shot at Harrison's knee? I remember Madden saying Harrison was lucky he didn't get thrown out but then they went back to instant replay and showed why he was so ticked.

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #30
Corey_J
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16584

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Re on Harrison v. Aaron Francisco - didnt Francisco try to take a cheap shot at Harrison's knee? I remember Madden saying Harrison was lucky he didn't get thrown out but then they went back to instant replay and showed why he was so ticked.