Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #31
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Re: Steelers headed for salary cap hell in 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
No, I'm saying listing every single player 30 years and up (plus Gay) is ridiculous. Ryan Clark? Brett Keisel? Really? Has there ever been even the slightest hint that these guys are nearing the end? And James Harrison said his back feels better now than it did most of last season, and that he'll be closer to 100% after this season. So why would he be done? Why would Hampton be done? Who would even be playing NT and who would be backing up if Hampton and Hoke left after this season? McLendon could be the backup, but I wouldn't want him starting, and it's unlikely that a rookie would start. Maybe if the Steelers win the super bowl there will be an unexpected retirement or two, but even that is far from a guarantee.
i believe people are suggesting names that could be cut. at least that's what my list was about. it was a list of veterans who might be cut due to age, salary, performance etc...

clark, kiesel or hampton could be salary cap casualties. after restructuring his contract hampton is making just over 7 million this year. i am not sure of his cap hit in 2012, but i am guessing it will close to 8 mil. there is a youth movement taking place along the DL. i am not implying all 3 starting D-linemen are going to be cut, but none of their jobs are 100% guaranteed.

harrison stated his back is not in game shape yet. he said he doesn't know when it will be. his back has not really been tested yet as he admitted to. i am hoping everything is great because without his pass rush i don't see the steelers doing much in that department. woodley needs harrison getting the attention of double and triple teams.

notable free agents after this season ends are polamalu, smith, legursky, wallace, lewis, mclendon, redman, foster, j. scott, hoke, essex, batch and leftwich. polamalu is probably going to be franchised. smith will be let go unless he plays for vet minimum. wallace strikes me as a person who will want big money. i suppose that depends on how well he produces this season.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #32
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Arizona Cardinals key 2012 additions:

Aaron Smith
James Farrior
Larry Foote
James Harrison
William Gay
Ryan Clark
Chris Kemoeato
& Bryant Mcfadden (no just kidding, they know all about him)
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #33
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

What makes you all think that the Steelers won't use the franchise tag on Wallace? He will be here for at least another year if he plays well enough to deserve it. Count on it. I suspect he is going to be used mostly as bait this year and Ward, Sanders and Brown will catch more passes than Wallace does. I love his speed but Sanders and Brown are both very fast as well. So it is not the be all, end all if Wallace goes elsewhere in two years. I think they can sign Troy easier than Wallace if they don't franchise him.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #34
NCBlackWolf
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18115

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
All we have to do is win #7 and that will take care of a lot of things
That is a very true statement. I imagine a few vets will retire after another SB ring, so lets focus on that.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #35
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
What makes you all think that the Steelers won't use the franchise tag on Wallace?
Because he's a restricted free agent.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #36
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Links please. Where did you get any of these ideas? Smith is "likely to retire"? Farrior will follow him? Why the hell would Foote take a pay cut? I've not once read any beat writer even remotely suggest any of the things you state here as fact. Is this wishful thinking on your part?
None of this is fact--it's speculation on my part. No reason to get all upset. But here's my logic:

I don't think Smith will make it through the season healthy. His health problems have been mounting the last several years and with the emergence of Ziggy Hood and Heyward, I'd say the chances of him being resigned are extremely low. He may not retire, but he's not going to be back with the Steelers for anything remotely close to his current salary, which is what matters for our purposes.

I'm less sure about Farrior--he has the conditioning that he may be able to stick around after this year. Who knows what he'll do?

As far as Foote goes, if he returns to the Steelers I very much doubt they'll pay him $3M/yr. to keep Stevenson Sylvester on the bench. At least one of Foote and Farrior will be gone. If Farrior does choose to retire, it's more likely that we'll pay Foote, but otherwise he's probably going to have to leave to get paid.

Put it this way--why would the Steelers, if we're truly in a cap crunch (which we really aren't, given the relatively small number of guys who may actually end up returning), give a raise to a backup LB on the wrong side of 30?

These are just my thoughts, again. But even if we may see significant roster changes for cap reasons, I don't think they'll be hugely detrimental. Cutting the salary of an Aaron Smith, for example, frees up a good bit f cash to extend other people.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #37
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Because he's a restricted free agent.
Not to mention that they will, in fact, be using the tag on Troy.