Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
tburhans
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18473
Default Steelers vs Ravens Matchups

Ravens O-line vs Steelers D-line: Michael Oher moving to RT will have his hands full with Woodley all game. Bryant McKinnie who is not what he used to be nor in great game shape yet vs James Harrison whose coming off the back problems. Not sure about this matchup but im guessing James will get the better of him. The 3 interior linemen(Grubbs,Birk,Yanda) will have plenty of pressure to deal with from smith hampton and keisel as well as some ziggy hood. Edge: Steelers

Steelers O-line Vs Ravens D-line: Not sure is Ngata or Cody is starting at NT but whoever starts should be held in check by Pouncey assuming he plays. The worst matchup is going to be J.Scott attempting to block Suggs, which we all know will result in Suggs dominating him and getting pressure on Ben. Unless Scott plays out of this world Edge: Baltimore

Steelers WR's vs Ravens DB's: Wallace Ward Sanders and Brown will be able to get open against the subpar secondary of the Ravens(Foxworth,Williams,Zbikowski and the aging Ed Reed) Edge: Steelers

Ravens WR's vs Steelers DB's: Ike Taylor will most likely be lined up with Boldin and to me thats a draw. McFadden will then be lined up against lee evans and i doubt mcfadden can keep up with the speedy evans, but hopefully the front 7 doesnt give flacco time to scan the field. That leaves Gay covering the slot which it doesnt matter who it is, that guy will be catching passes all day. But with our wild card Polamalu back there who can make a game changing play at any time im giving the egde to the black and gold.

As usual its going to be a defensive battle. Hoping Arians cuts ben loose and airs it out against an iffy baltimore secondary and we can take an early division lead.
tburhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
CTFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 18739
Default Re: Steelers vs Ravens Matchups

Hey, you got our "subpar secondary" wrong. Smith and Williams at CB, Pollard and Reed at S. Nonetheless, the edge goes to your receiving corp, which is amongst the best in the league. Our secondary is capable of making some plays, and also laying on the lumber. However, your numbers will be tough to handle. Since Smith is a rookie, albeit a talented one, he could get burned. I'd love to see Pollard and Hines collide. That should be a good one.

Good analysis overall. Can't really disagree with anything. You left out the running game however. I'd give the Rvanes the edge there.

The Ravens have got a lot of new parts, so they're a bit tougher to project than your team. I expect our OL to have problems with your pass rush and also just handling the snap count without penalties. Stamina could also be an issue for our OL. If Harrison is his usual self, and I have no reason to think he'll be anything else, our offensee could really struggle.
CTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,009 Times in 2,567 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

The ravens did get a lot of new additions, but I believe that might hurt them this early in the season. They won't have the same chemistry that the steelers team will have, who has most of the same team intact. baltimore will be tougher to beat the 2nd time around but in week 1 i'd have to say advantage steelers
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Wallabeast17
Starter

Member Number: 18370

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTFan View Post
Hey, you got our "subpar secondary" wrong. Smith and Williams at CB, Pollard and Reed at S. Nonetheless, the edge goes to your receiving corp, which is amongst the best in the league. Our secondary is capable of making some plays, and also laying on the lumber. However, your numbers will be tough to handle. Since Smith is a rookie, albeit a talented one, he could get burned. I'd love to see Pollard and Hines collide. That should be a good one.

Good analysis overall. Can't really disagree with anything. You left out the running game however. I'd give the Rvanes the edge there.

The Ravens have got a lot of new parts, so they're a bit tougher to project than your team. I expect our OL to have problems with your pass rush and also just handling the snap count without penalties. Stamina could also be an issue for our OL. If Harrison is his usual self, and I have no reason to think he'll be anything else, our offensee could really struggle.
He just came off two back surgerys and is said to not be at "100%" so who knows..
Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

The running game will be interesting. A lot of analysts, fans, and media types are big on Ray Rice. While he is very good, Mendenhall still had more yards and 8 more rushing touchdowns. Ricky Williams is a good addition for when your playing most teams, but I'm thinking he will have little to no affect on the Steelers defense, he had some good years (a few) but hasn't even reached 700 yards since 2005. Redman made some plays last year against Baltimore but I don't see him being a huge difference in this game either. The running game is probably a draw. I think we match up well against them, but their big advantage is their D line. Ngata is tough even for Pouncey to cover, Pouncey will be successful most of the time but not all the time and if Ngata goes against one of our gaurds he has a big advantage. Suggs against Scott is a joke, although Suggs usually beats up on our left tackle anyway so if Scott can just play mediocre we might be ok, I don't want to even think about how bad that could be (#7 on a back board). The WR advantage we have is incredible: Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Cotchery, not sure if they have a corner that can cover any one of those guys. All that being said, the most important matchup that was not mentioned, and one of the biggest reason we always win:

Ben>>>>>>>Flacco. Not even a close matchup. It's closer in the regular season then in the playoffs, but Flacco on his best day is not quite as good as Ben on an average day.

All that set aside, weird, unexpected things happen on opening day.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
Steeldude
Living Legend

17 - 27 ravens

the steelers tackles won't be able to handle the pass rush.

harrison's back will be too much for him. without harrison the steelers' pass rush will be non-exsistent.

flacco will eat up mcfadden.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
17 - 27 ravens

the steelers tackles won't be able to handle the pass rush.

harrison's back will be too much for him. without harrison the steelers' pass rush will be non-exsistent.

flacco will eat up mcfadden.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
you can't go 16-0
Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

well that's true but even if we do lose you think jacko is gonna score 27 points on us? prolly not. don't forget also that polamalu and aaron smith are healthy at this point in the season
Old 09-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

I think we will win,but calling Taylor and Boldin a draw,,,Uhhh not so sure?