Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Farrior finds himself sidelined in favor of Foote

Farrior finds himself sidelined in favor of Foote
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 12, 2011

BALTIMORE -- Steelers defensive captain James Farrior spent time in unfamiliar territory Sunday: the sidelines.

Larry Foote replaced Farrior at left inside linebacker for three series in the first half of the Steelers' 35-7 loss to the Ravens.

Coach Mike Tomlin said that was by design -- not because of an injury to Farrior, who hasn't missed a game since 2005.

"Larry had a good preseason," Tomlin said. "We would like to play both men, so we made a commitment early on that both men were going to play, and we stood up to that."

The 36-year-old Farrior said, "I'm healthy. Everything's fine," when asked if sharing time with Foote had anything to do with an injury.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Farrior finds himself sidelined in favor of Foote

Is there really any difference? It's like 1a and 1b
Old 09-12-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Yeah...I can't understand the motive behind doing this either. Farrior has definitely lost a step (or two) over the years, but I think he's much better than Foote. Lingering injury maybe? That's all I can figure.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Maybe they're just trying to keep him fresh for late season games.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

I'm not sure how much of this was scheme, but we were so soft up the middle that it didn't appear that we had anybody at MLB. It seems to me that Farrior is now a situational player & Foote is not a capable replacement. Maybe it's time to give Sylvester a look.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Kind of sums up my feelings on this...

-------------------------------------------

Farrior done wrong?

September 11th, 2011

BALTIMORE — Mike Tomlin is widely considered one of the better player’s coaches in the NFL.

Tomlin has a reputation of relating to his players in a fashion to get them to play hard because of his honesty, straight-forwardness and his no-nonsense approach — all attributes that players love.

Saying that, Tomlin is doing wrong with the most influential player on the Steelers’ defense.

Tomlin made the decision to remove veteran linebacker James Farrior for the final two series of the first half of Sunday’s 35-7 loss to the Ravens because what he said afterwards was because “we had made a commitment to play Larry Foote some.”

Huh?

At any other position, I’d buy that as a logical reason. At cornerback, I’d buy that reason.

But when you are talking about the unquestioned leader of your defense; the eight-time defensive captain; and the all-around most-respected person on the Steelers’ roster, it’s hogwash.

Farrior deserves better.

“I’m healthy and everything is fine,” disappointed Farrior said afterward.

But obviously everything isn’t fine … or should I say won’t be fine.

For Tomlin to make a drastic decision to remove Farrior for series at a time, there’s a problem, and that problem may get worse before it gets better.

Foote has no way surpassed Farrior in quality of play on the field. Off the field, Farrior is invaluable.

Just think, a guy like Farrior is replaced because of his decline while William Gay and Bryant McFadden remain on the field.

I’d be shaking my head if I was Farrior.

The Steelers were trailing just 14-7 at the time of Farrior’s removal in the second quarter, and the Ravens quickly went on an 11-play drive that resulted in a touchdown. Foote missed a tackle and covered the wrong guy on a play, but that’s beside the point.

Well, maybe that is the point. Foote is a backup for a reason.

More here...http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...nemdn0.twitter

Old 09-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Kind of sums up my feelings on this...

-------------------------------------------

Farrior done wrong?

September 11th, 2011

BALTIMORE — Mike Tomlin is widely considered one of the better player’s coaches in the NFL.

Tomlin has a reputation of relating to his players in a fashion to get them to play hard because of his honesty, straight-forwardness and his no-nonsense approach — all attributes that players love.

Saying that, Tomlin is doing wrong with the most influential player on the Steelers’ defense.

Tomlin made the decision to remove veteran linebacker James Farrior for the final two series of the first half of Sunday’s 35-7 loss to the Ravens because what he said afterwards was because “we had made a commitment to play Larry Foote some.”

Huh?

At any other position, I’d buy that as a logical reason. At cornerback, I’d buy that reason.

But when you are talking about the unquestioned leader of your defense; the eight-time defensive captain; and the all-around most-respected person on the Steelers’ roster, it’s hogwash.

Farrior deserves better.

“I’m healthy and everything is fine,” disappointed Farrior said afterward.

But obviously everything isn’t fine … or should I say won’t be fine.

For Tomlin to make a drastic decision to remove Farrior for series at a time, there’s a problem, and that problem may get worse before it gets better.

Foote has no way surpassed Farrior in quality of play on the field. Off the field, Farrior is invaluable.

Just think, a guy like Farrior is replaced because of his decline while William Gay and Bryant McFadden remain on the field.

I’d be shaking my head if I was Farrior.

The Steelers were trailing just 14-7 at the time of Farrior’s removal in the second quarter, and the Ravens quickly went on an 11-play drive that resulted in a touchdown. Foote missed a tackle and covered the wrong guy on a play, but that’s beside the point.

Well, maybe that is the point. Foote is a backup for a reason.

More here...http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...nemdn0.twitter
Hmmm...this sounds troubling. Tomlin may be out-thinking himself here. Then again, maybe it's time to find a capable replacement up the middle.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Putting Foote in instead of Sylvester is a boneheaded move. You can't make me believe that Sylvester would be that bad. He might make some mistakes but you can't learn if you are not on the field. I am sure he is much faster than Slow of Foote who never should have been brought back. And Tomlin's thing about giving Mewelde Moore playing time over Redman is just plain stupid. Moore is done.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Foote I would say is a downgrade to Farrior. The middle was so weak, Rice and Williams walked through it at will, it was as if nobody was there. We should put Sylvester in for Farrior, Hood in for Smith, and rotate Heyward and Keisel. That's a few things we should start with and see how it goes.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
CaliStillersFan
Starter

Member Number: 11604

Farrior is 36, and he has been on the downside of his career for the past couple of years. We will be seeing him on the sidelines more and more throughout this season. It's time to get more of the young guys on the field to get them some game experience.
CaliStillersFan is offline   Reply With Quote