Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
Hayeksheroes
Banned

Member Number: 15387
Default Steelers not really upset about Superbowl loss?

The Steelers played like an AFC bottom dweller. I won't name names. But all I heard off season was about how the Steelers were chomping at the bit to avenge their Superbowl loss. Looks like other teams wanted revenge on the Steelers. I have no doubt that John Harbaugh, the jack ass coach, has been scheming all summer to get back at the Steelers, like some maniac in an insane asylum. Well, his season's made. May the ravens will go 6-9 down the stretch.

The most worrisome aspect of the loss is that the Ravens and back then, the Packers, have shown the rest of teams the blue print on how to beat the Steelers. The frightening thing is that Tomlin and Arians have not really taken notice. They thought they could trot out their AFC Championship team and everyone would just wilt. Sorry this is the NFL. As good as the Steelers looked in preseason, it was only preseason.

I do have hope that Tomlin and LeBeau can make the adjustments to win. Arians is a lost cause. If this offensive coordinator refused to take advantage of a depleted Packer's secondary, what hope do we have that he is going to change? I would hope that Arians might take a page out of Harbaugh's game plan and make the aging Ray Lewis run around chasing Mendenhall's shadow. But I'm sure that will never happen. We'll have more horizontal passes out to the flat for 3 yard gains.

LeBeau is a brilliant strategist. His strategy is only as good as his playersí athleticism. What I mean by that is that if LeBeau thinks Timmons or Woodley can cover Rice in flat or short zone, he expects them too. They could not even cover his shadow. As a result, if the players can execute, LeBeau's strategy will fail no matter how good it is.

Secondly, the Steelers need help in the secondary. It's not just the mediocre performance of Gay. It's McFadden as well. There appears no once else willing or allowed to step up and replace these guys. LeBeau is reluctant to play a rookie because his schemes are so complicated that it takes a year or more to learn. But the Steelers need help. I donít mind a rookie cb giving up a big play or two to inexperience if he can reduce third down conversion to 30% or less. Perhaps LeBeau should start to rely more on athleticism than knowledge or else the Steelers will be chasing many shadows into the endzone.

Where is Polamalu? This is the second game in a row where he has been a non factor. Polamalu was hurt in the Superbowl, so I will give him a pass. But he is healthy now and was taken out of the game plan. Apparently, Arians wasn't sharp enough to take Ed Reed out. It costs the Steelers two interceptions.

The Steelers have gone far with a clapboard offensive line. The end may be near. Left tackle is the most obvious spot. Scott was totally dominated and looked the part. The Steelers need to get Marcus Gilbert in there quick or sign a vet to replace this bum. It's not enough just to show up but you got to play or else we will be seeing Batch and probably Dixon.

Where was the pass rush? Where were the turnovers? The linebackers were ineffective and slow. I expected more from Woodley, less so from Harrison due to his back surgeries. Something needs to be done. Flacco had too much time and every stunt was picked up. Were the Raven's reading something?

Harbaugh's fatal flaw. Harbaugh revealed all his cards. Just to show you how big of an Ass Harbaugh was, he went for it on 4th and 1 instead of going for the field goal that would have put the Ravens up by 4 scores. Harbaugh was trying to run up the score. He wanted it 50 to 7. So what? To stroke his oversized ego. Would such a shellacking have made a difference to last yearís AFC divisional playoff? No. This is why Harbaugh wonít win the big games. A wise coach would have backed off the gas after going up 29-7 and gone vanilla. I've shown you my tricks, but I've got plenty more for our next meeting. Harbaugh never backed off. I'm hoping that comes back to haunt him in the next meeting and perhaps in the playoffs. The Steelers will not get burned again.

What now for the Steelers? They really have to decide what team they want to be. Something has to shake them out of their stupor. Max Starks, and Dwyer are two players that showed up fat and out of shape and it really characterizes this team. They are going through the motions, picking up fat checks and hoping their dog and pony show will get them through each Sunday. Sorry, it won't. They are going to have to decide if they want to be champions or chumps. We will see how they respond next week against Seattle.
Hayeksheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,973 Times in 1,923 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Steelers not really upset about Superbowl loss?

thank you - I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like they are getting a little full of themselves - this is two years in a row where we have had a game where they flat out just didn't show up - Last year at Patriots and now this game (oh yea, and I won't mention the game at Cleveland that ruined our playoff chances a few seasons ago)

I'm starting to think there is a pattern going on here - so yea they are big and bad because they go 12-4 and beat up on the pathetic teams? When was the last time this team really showed up and instilled fear into and dominated a powerhouse team? We no longer have an effect on teams the way we used to and some of our core guys are losing their edge. I don't want to hear about age or any of that crap - that Patriots team that almost went undefeated was pretty darn old so I don't want to hear it. It is starting to look like they don't want it as badly any more when the truth of the matter is they have a lot to prove to themselves and each other as teammates.

Hate to say it - but this game concerns me and should concern a lot of people. Yea, they beat us last year the 1st time, but we almost beat them with Charlie Batch - yesterday was an official beat down of epic proportions. 2 losses in a row, 2 where this group has stunk it up in all phases - hope the big paycheck isn't softening up their determination. Someone show me something, prove to me where they are still hungry (and that doesn't include coming back against Baltimore in the playoffs and beating the hell out of the overrated Jets in the AFC championship game) pick an instance recently where we absolutely made a statement about who we are as a team . . .up for interpretation but come on - we aren't dominating anymore plain and simple

We lose to the Seahawks and I better start seein some veteran butts on the bench behind guys that want it more

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post

We lose to the Seahawks and I better start seein some veteran butts on the bench behind guys that want it more

Hell, if we don't pound the seahawks and beat them comfortably then we're in for a long season.....

They play a brand of football thats tailored made for us

I hate to say this but, these next few weeks will already be a massive gut check time with this team in this

How much is left in that Tank???And will you spill the blood, sweat, and tears to recapture contender form??

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,480 Times in 2,752 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
Hell, if we don't pound the seahawks and beat them comfortably then we're in for a long season.....

They play a brand of football thats tailored made for us

I hate to say this but, these next few weeks will already be a massive gut check time with this team in this

How much is left in that Tank???And will you spill the blood, sweat, and tears to recapture contender form??
IF we lose to seattle, we might as well go into rebuilding mode. Losing to baltimore is one thing, we can say 'we had a bad game/weren't prepared'. losing to seattle means you have more problems than just being unprepared, it means you suck
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayeksheroes View Post
The Steelers played like an AFC bottom dweller. I won't name names. But all I heard off season was about how the Steelers were chomping at the bit to avenge their Superbowl loss. Looks like other teams wanted revenge on the Steelers. I have no doubt that John Harbaugh, the jack ass coach, has been scheming all summer to get back at the Steelers, like some maniac in an insane asylum. Well, his season's made. May the ravens will go 6-9 down the stretch.

The most worrisome aspect of the loss is that the Ravens and back then, the Packers, have shown the rest of teams the blue print on how to beat the Steelers. The frightening thing is that Tomlin and Arians have not really taken notice. They thought they could trot out their AFC Championship team and everyone would just wilt. Sorry this is the NFL. As good as the Steelers looked in preseason, it was only preseason.

I do have hope that Tomlin and LeBeau can make the adjustments to win. Arians is a lost cause. If this offensive coordinator refused to take advantage of a depleted Packer's secondary, what hope do we have that he is going to change? I would hope that Arians might take a page out of Harbaugh's game plan and make the aging Ray Lewis run around chasing Mendenhall's shadow. But I'm sure that will never happen. We'll have more horizontal passes out to the flat for 3 yard gains.

LeBeau is a brilliant strategist. His strategy is only as good as his playersí athleticism. What I mean by that is that if LeBeau thinks Timmons or Woodley can cover Rice in flat or short zone, he expects them too. They could not even cover his shadow. As a result, if the players can execute, LeBeau's strategy will fail no matter how good it is.

Secondly, the Steelers need help in the secondary. It's not just the mediocre performance of Gay. It's McFadden as well. There appears no once else willing or allowed to step up and replace these guys. LeBeau is reluctant to play a rookie because his schemes are so complicated that it takes a year or more to learn. But the Steelers need help. I donít mind a rookie cb giving up a big play or two to inexperience if he can reduce third down conversion to 30% or less. Perhaps LeBeau should start to rely more on athleticism than knowledge or else the Steelers will be chasing many shadows into the endzone.

Where is Polamalu? This is the second game in a row where he has been a non factor. Polamalu was hurt in the Superbowl, so I will give him a pass. But he is healthy now and was taken out of the game plan. Apparently, Arians wasn't sharp enough to take Ed Reed out. It costs the Steelers two interceptions.

The Steelers have gone far with a clapboard offensive line. The end may be near. Left tackle is the most obvious spot. Scott was totally dominated and looked the part. The Steelers need to get Marcus Gilbert in there quick or sign a vet to replace this bum. It's not enough just to show up but you got to play or else we will be seeing Batch and probably Dixon.

Where was the pass rush? Where were the turnovers? The linebackers were ineffective and slow. I expected more from Woodley, less so from Harrison due to his back surgeries. Something needs to be done. Flacco had too much time and every stunt was picked up. Were the Raven's reading something?

Harbaugh's fatal flaw. Harbaugh revealed all his cards. Just to show you how big of an Ass Harbaugh was, he went for it on 4th and 1 instead of going for the field goal that would have put the Ravens up by 4 scores. Harbaugh was trying to run up the score. He wanted it 50 to 7. So what? To stroke his oversized ego. Would such a shellacking have made a difference to last yearís AFC divisional playoff? No. This is why Harbaugh wonít win the big games. A wise coach would have backed off the gas after going up 29-7 and gone vanilla. I've shown you my tricks, but I've got plenty more for our next meeting. Harbaugh never backed off. I'm hoping that comes back to haunt him in the next meeting and perhaps in the playoffs. The Steelers will not get burned again.

What now for the Steelers? They really have to decide what team they want to be. Something has to shake them out of their stupor. Max Starks, and Dwyer are two players that showed up fat and out of shape and it really characterizes this team. They are going through the motions, picking up fat checks and hoping their dog and pony show will get them through each Sunday. Sorry, it won't. They are going to have to decide if they want to be champions or chumps. We will see how they respond next week against Seattle.
I really didn't get that at all.
We lost the SB to GB becuae of 3 Turnovers -thats it -nuthin more to see here.
The Steelers knew it, GB knew it,...., ok Harrison got alittle pissed off with Ben and Mendenhall for the loss, off-season, but HEY, you gotta be cruel to be kind, especially with Harrison.
so are the Steelers' "...not really upset about Superbowl loss?" yes and know, but thats been covered already. Harrison was obviously more upset than anybody else, fer whatever his reasons.
So anyway, on to today, where 7 Turnovers was the reason we LOST to the Ravens.
That's what I am more worried about than an SB that's over now.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanata-Steeler View Post
Harrison was obviously more upset than anybody else, fer whatever his reasons.
and again harrison was trying his best with an ailing back. we need more harrison's on the team
Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I just think Tomlin needs to realize that there's a point where young talent outweighs what a declining veteran brings to the table (Aaron Smith, Larry Foote, James Farrior, Bryant Mcfadden, William Gay, Ryan Clark)...I know the young DBs may not be completely ready yet but after 3 years I'd rather break out Keenan Lewis than see one more drive with Mcfadden, and personally I'd take the growing pains that come with giving someone inexperienced like Curtis Brown or Stevenson Sylvester significant time over what we're getting out of Gay/Mcfadden and Foote/Farrior. At least there's a chance they'll get better and learn from their mistakes whereas the aging guys are only going to get worse...
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Although I disagree that the players are thinking too highly of themselves, you can't help but wonder after yesterday's game. There was absolutely no hustle, for the most part, these are the same 11 guys on defense that have been playing Baltimore for a while, they new what type of game it would be. Doesn't matter what Harbaugh schemes up, that's no excuse for how they were ridiculously slow and always in the wrong spot as if they weren't paying attention. I think you should try not to have a previous loss from a previous season on your mind much, SB loss or not, but you would think that they would have at least been fired up enough between the SB loss and opening up against the Ravens. Hard to say, I just don't see our players thinking to highly of themselves and I definetly don't now. BUT, Tomlin and LeBeau clearly do. I rarely throw criticism at LeBeau but come on, you can only blame the lack of coverage on the players to a point. Sure McFadden and Gay suck, but the fact that almost any team lately can come out, use 2 TE formations and spread the field and either beat us or nearly beat us is ridiculous. Brady has been doing it for a while, now other teams are doing it. Even though he has seen this going on, for a while against Brady, and quite a few games now against other teams, he refuses to do anything different. Just keeps us in the same 3-4 running similar plays. It's almost as if he is in denial about it. No matter what he comes up with, it won't make up for the fact that Gay and McFadden can't cover anybody, but at least find a way to eliminate being burnt by TE's when you have the LB corp like we do and Troy P. Tomlin won't change anything either, and it's even worse with him. I garuantee you that Hood and Heyward were dying to get in and make a difference yesterday, but he didn't even rotate them in, think I saw Heyward on 2 or 3 plays. He refuses to do anything about the corners, Ike played really well, put in Brown or Lewis for McFadden, it can't get any worse. Don't just stand there for a whole season and then the beginning of another and let a player do so much damage to your team. With all the corners we have we still put Gay in at nickel, even though common fans without coaching/playing experience are calling for him to be benched. On top of it all, he does nothing with his coaching staff, he just sits there and lets Arians ruin the offense, even though every Steeler fan in the world is saying Arians has to go, he clearly doesn't say anything to LeBeau about changing up the 3-4 sometimes. It's ridiculous. All that said I like Tomlin as a coach overall, but he's not stupid, he see's these things, he's just to stubborn to take even slight action to fix them. I don't get it!
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

As you get older you lose that killer mentality....Just human nature!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Don't change this into we lost because of turnovers. We lost because we got dominated in every single aspect of the game. The turnovers were a mere result of getting pounded in the trenches.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote