Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #31
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts
Default Re: Can We All Stop Freaking Out?

bill cowher reminded pat kirwan of the season opener in 2001 where the steelers were spanked in jacksonvill 21-3.

the steelers won 12 of their next 13 games and shoulda beat the patriots in the afcc game.

bill seemed pretty confident this is just a minor speed bump.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #32
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

This last game WAS terrible, but I don't think that is exactly what folks are freaking out about.

I understand that calmer minds prevail, and panicking at a week 1 loss is silly, but with Colon out for the season now, a terrible Oline just got even worse, we addressed NONE of the secondary needs from last year. Sure, we have recovered from some really bad losses (like that week 3 debacle at Philadelphia in 2008), but looking at the logistics, there is little reason to think we can fix most of the problems we saw Sunday with the current personnel on our roster.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #33
isunormalil
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
This last game WAS terrible, but I don't think that is exactly what folks are freaking out about.

I understand that calmer minds prevail, and panicking at a week 1 loss is silly, but with Colon out for the season now, a terrible Oline just got even worse, we addressed NONE of the secondary needs from last year. Sure, we have recovered from some really bad losses (like that week 3 debacle at Philadelphia in 2008), but looking at the logistics, there is little reason to think we can fix most of the problems we saw Sunday with the current personnel on our roster.

We didn't have Colon last year, and we managed just fine. They need to sign Adams and get it over.
isunormalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #34
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post

I think are biggest problem was defense, and this is the same defense as last year, so I would say we can fix a lot of it. The pass defense will never be that good since McFadden and Gay are so bad, but we could try some rookies and 2nd year guys. The O line will not improve at all, it sucks, but Ben and the receivers can, and I think Ben was the biggest problem on offense this game.

I'd like to see what some of the more intelligent comentators/reporters like Cowher, Marino, and some others have to say about it, but I'm not finding much.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #35
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I think the o-line will improve once they insert Marcus Gilbert. I would like them to move Scott to RT and throw Gilbert into the fire at LT. If he falls on his face, Essex can spell him. The secondary should also improve eventually at some point during the season when they finally relent and give some playing time to some combination of Lewis/Brown/Allen. By the way, did anybody else find it interesting that Allen was active over Brown? And when Cotchery is healthy, are neither of them active?
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #36
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Sick

For anyone who remembers the 1989 season, we started off much worse than this and still made the playoffs.
pancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #37
BIGNASTY91
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18495
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
For anyone who remembers the 1989 season, we started off much worse than this and still made the playoffs.
EXACTLY!!! Everyone needs to chill out and see how things work out. Every year the O-Line sucks and somehow finds a way to get in sinc with one another to be pretty fair. Lets chill and see if this loss will wake this team up. I would much rather suffer a loss like this now than further into the season!!
BIGNASTY91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #38
fortmemphis
Head Coach

Member Number: 17288

I think it is apparant that the Ravens have built their team specifically to beat us. I think that after last season's loss to us in the playoffs, the Ravens wanted this game more than anything. They have pointed to it since the schedule was announced. They were ready. They forced a couple turnovers and things snowballed. In a game like that, the winning team is never as good as it looked and the losing team is never as bad as it looked.

Pittburgh was flat. No doubt about it. Lets see if Tomlin can use this as a wakeup call and light a fire under the team. We should be fine. Next week will say a lot.
fortmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #39
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,050 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

what do you mean stop freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i can't stop freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[YOUTUBE]YersIyzsOpc[/YOUTUBE]
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #40
JustinM
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy86 View Post
I'm officially worried. Not that we lost, but the Steeler culture of the unwillingness to sit guys that are underperfoming at their respective positions. How long do we have to endure McFadden and Gay? If they are still the # 2 and 3 CB by midseason, we are no better than 4-4. I'll be happy to eat the crow if I'm wrong.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees Gay's consistently poor performance.
JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote