Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Steelers fully committed to Gilbert

Marcus Gilbert will start at right tackle Sunday, and the rookie was the Steelers’ first choice to replace Willie Colon after the latter sustained a torn triceps.

The Steelers discussed re-signing Flozell Adams or Max Starks Monday after they learned that Colon had been lost for the season. But they decided to go with Gilbert, the second-round pick out of Florida, and sign a free agent tackle for depth.

Money apparently had nothing to do with them saying thanks but no thanks later when an inquiry was made on Adams’ behalf.

The Steelers are fully committed to Gilbert, and he will get more than one game to prove himself at right tackle.

The Steelers are confident that money or the salary cap won’t be an issue if Gilbert is not ready to start and they have to eventually sign a veteran such as Adams or Starks.

– Scott Brown

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...--------------

So Flo might be an option afterall?
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,479 Times in 3,551 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Steelers fully committed to Gilbert

can't wait to see what the kid can bring to the table.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
stiller39
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4832

give the young blood a shot...
stiller39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

I wish they would be fully committed to Ziggy Hood. Or maybe Cameron Heyward.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

if not for the injury gilbert would be on the bench for the next 3+ seasons. it's never good to see a player injured, but this may be good for the steelers. IMO, colon is more of a G than T. if gilbert shows promise then they can move colon to RG next season. now the steelers only need to worry about the one of the tackle spots in 2012.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
I wish they would be fully committed to Ziggy Hood. Or maybe Cameron Heyward.
when everyone is injured they will. i doubt hood and heyward will see much playing time. heyward won't see any for 2 or 3 years. you must keep the young players on the bench so the washed up players can start
Old 09-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
when everyone is injured they will. i doubt hood and heyward will see much playing time. heyward won't see any for 2 or 3 years. you must keep the young players on the bench so the washed up players can start
That's exactly how I feel about it. Heyward was so ****ing good at OSU that it'll frustrate me to see him ride the bench for the season. His transition will be much easier than Ziggy's though so maybe LeBeau will force him in sooner.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

OK- as long as its only 1 game they give him a shot...can't let that position be yet another weak point in our OL if we want to keep Ben healthy....Poor game and I sure hope we bring a veteran FA in.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,479 Times in 3,551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
That's exactly how I feel about it. Heyward was so ****ing good at OSU that it'll frustrate me to see him ride the bench for the season. His transition will be much easier than Ziggy's though so maybe LeBeau will force him in sooner.
they'll wait until keisel is 39 years old and getting bowled over on every other play. wait probably not, smith is doing the same thing right now and not getting benched.

by the time we start heyward, he will be halfway toward retiring and it'll be good to know we wasted his best years before we finally put him in
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
if not for the injury gilbert would be on the bench for the next 3+ seasons. it's never good to see a player injured, but this may be good for the steelers. IMO, colon is more of a G than T. if gilbert shows promise then they can move colon to RG next season. now the steelers only need to worry about the one of the tackle spots in 2012.
I don't think this would have been the case at all. They drafted Gilbert because they liked him a lot and they wanted him to be the LT of the future. They cut both of their starting tackles. Had Colon not gone down, I'm pretty sure Gilbert would have been allowed to compete for the LT spot during the season, and would most likely have been the starting LT next season. Now it's even more likely that he'll be the starting LT next season since he'll be getting playing time already.

As far as the whole Colon to G crap goes, I don't see the point of moving a player that is quality at his position to a position that he's never played. Colon is a slightly above average RT. There's no need to move him. And Gilbert would have been at LT next year regardless, so moving Colon would mean that you still need a RT. With Gilbert and Colon at the tackle spots and Pouncey at guard, those positions should be set for at least a few years. What is needed is two guards. I don't think Kemoeatu will survive the salary cap next year. Frankly, I hope he doesn't. If the Steelers can draft a guard in the first 3 rounds that is quality and then sign a competent free agent to take the other guard position, I would be pretty content with the o-line.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote