Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-16-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,776 Times in 4,064 Posts
Default Coach Lebeau scraps CB's 10-12 yd cushion...

...atleast for 1 game anyways-

http://pit.scout.com/2/1107073.html

Quote:
SCHEMATICALLY SPEAKING

LeBeau used few of the big cushions that are part of his trademark three-deep (Cover-3) zones last Sunday. He instead had his corners playing press/man coverage on the Baltimore wide receivers, who combined to catch 4 passes for 74 yards and a touchdown.

But the strategy appeared to have opened the field for the Baltimore tight ends and running backs, who caught 13 passes for 150 yards and 2 touchdowns.

“That’s one of the disadvantages of bump coverage,” said LeBeau. “You lose the vision of that guy (cornerbacks) on runs. But the plus of it is you’re not opening up all that area for that outside receiver to just run down there and turn around at 12 yards and catch the ball. Ideally you try to mix the techniques together so they have to keep guessing exactly what you’re doing.”

Look for LeBeau to get back to his comfort (three-deep) zone very soon.

“There was a game this week where they passed for a thousand yards,” he said.
for six years now, i have probably read hundereds of fans, constantly complain, year in and year out, about our CB's playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage.

during that time we have led the league in defense numerous times including having the #1 pass defense in 08. last year we only gave up 62 yds of rushing per game. also during that span, we have been to the superbowl six times.

off the top of my head, i think lebeau has coached in 6 sb's in the last 30 years. im guessing the only other current coach in the league who can boast that is bill belichick.

good thing is the fans finally got their wish and got to see some man to man press. of course the average fans gameplan doesnt alway work out quite how they draw it up on a napkin.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Re: Coach Lebeau scraps CB's 10-12 yd cushion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
...atleast for 1 game anyways-

http://pit.scout.com/2/1107073.html

for six years now, i have probably read hundereds of fans, constantly complain, year in and year out, about our CB's playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage.

during that time we have led the league in defense numerous times including having the #1 pass defense in 08. last year we only gave up 62 yds of rushing per game. also during that span, we have been to the superbowl six times.

off the top of my head, i think lebeau has coached in 6 sb's in the last 30 years. im guessing the only other current coach in the league who can boast that is bill belichick.

good thing is the fans finally got their wish and got to see some man to man press. of course the average fans gameplan doesnt alway work out quite how they draw it up on a napkin.
but you have to add a pass rush to it. the steelers failed to do that sunday. they couldn't even stop the run. with harrison ailing i don't see pressuring the QB improving. unless lebeau sends more rushers.

playing without any fire is usually going to end in a loss. if they decided to give their 10 yard cushions the outcome would have been the same. the steelers did not show up to play.

i want to see what they do at home against the feeble seahawks. if they get smoked again then something is wrong.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Most of that I game it looked to me like we were only rushing 3 or 4 with Woodley dropping into coverage. With Harrison ailing it makes sense to let Woodley pin his ears back and go after the QB. Problem there is they hold Harrison (knowing they'll get away with it) and double Woodley. We didn't do much blitzing that I saw and let's face it. Other than Ike who do we have that can play press coverage as a DB? For that matter who do we have that can play DB? (a little sarcasm I know but it's true)
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

If we don't blitz we get zero pressure on the QB...It's been a problem the last few years.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,722 Times in 3,220 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
Most of that I game it looked to me like we were only rushing 3 or 4 with Woodley dropping into coverage. With Harrison ailing it makes sense to let Woodley pin his ears back and go after the QB. Problem there is they hold Harrison (knowing they'll get away with it) and double Woodley. We didn't do much blitzing that I saw and let's face it. Other than Ike who do we have that can play press coverage as a DB? For that matter who do we have that can play DB? (a little sarcasm I know but it's true)
we probably weren't blitzing because every time we did it seemed to get picked up really easily.

keenan lewis was a strong press corner in college, don't know how well he can do that in the NFL level because well, we never give him any playing time
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917

Well anyone that knows football will know that it is all about personnel. the Steelers don't have the personnel to get pressure with only the front 4. They use a 3-4 scheme where the linebackers are used to get pressure on the QB. We don't have the 4-3 type DE's on the line. We don't have big speed rushers. The Steelers DE's are built to simply take a gap and occupy blockers, then the LB's either make the tackle or rush the QB. Well if you take our 3-4 personnel and try to play it as a 4-3 then you got slow DE trying to rush the passer or small LB's trying to take on huge tackles one on one 4 rushers are used. Not got to win many of those.

The Steelers are only setup to play a pure 3-4 and they need to get pressure with LB's coming free. Not only coming free but they need to confuse the running backs as not to get chipped or picked up.

Now with all that said the Steelers DB's have to play off so that our pressure has time to develop. That means no deep balls and keep it all in front of you. No breaking on ball and not many INT's.

If you play it any other way TE's and RB's will kill you. Just like they did. WR's only accounted for 74 total yards. They were pretty much shutdown all game. But no way can LB's cover good TE's or RB's. Just can't happen.

The Steelers are built to play only one way and they have to stick with that way for now.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

You can't play press coverage when you only have 1 corner on the field that's able to successfully,and use our safeties to help out in the middle if your going to press...next excuse
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

And you have to change things up...keep the O on it's toes...some plays bump, some plays drop back...you will catch them eventually calling a play that works in our favor to be in a particular setting.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
If we don't blitz we get zero pressure on the QB...It's been a problem the last few years.
I think a lot of people get fixated on the number of sacks the Steelers get. Sure 48 sacks led the league, but thats 3 a game on average. When teams are routinely throwing 35-40 times a game, that is only getting to the qb once every 10-11 passes. Hurries and knockdowns are just as important. And imo the Steelers have been woefully lacking in that department for years. Of course with so many teams using the spread them out dink and dunk offense it is difficult.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,943 Times in 2,195 Posts

Quote:
Guilty as charged.

I mostly bitch on the 3rd and a couple when the cb's are way off and we get dinked on for a first.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote