Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #71
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Should Hines Ward still be in the starting rotation?

Ward is more important and more productive than any of the 33 plus year olds..
Old 09-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #72
Brett Cottrell
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18842

Yeah, he should be in the starting lineup. He's like another quarterback on the field. Having said that, some of the young guys may get in on some of his plays.
Brett Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #73
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
hines ward makes these types of plays in every game. i think hes so taken for granted by fans more interested with fantasy stats that it often goes over looked.
Absolutely. I enjoy fantasy football somewhat myself, but it has clouded folks judgment somewhat on what makes a good footballer. Sure big numbers are great (I love what Wallace has brought to this offense) but Ward makes the big 3rd down catch that keeps drives going, makes great blocks as mentioned, and gets in the defender's heads. That's not the stuff that wins fantasy football, but it is the stuff that wins football games....
wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #74
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

Hines does many things that win football games. Contrary to what some seem to believe, that is the reason Brown and Sanders have yet to beat him out for the starting position. There is more to the position than just running fast and catching the ball when it's thrown to you. A whole lot more.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #75
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtrout View Post
Hines does many things that win football games. Contrary to what some seem to believe, that is the reason Brown and Sanders have yet to beat him out for the starting position. There is more to the position than just running fast and catching the ball when it's thrown to you. A whole lot more.
sterling sharpe echoed as much tonight on total access when he said mike wallace was the 3rd year receiver most likely to have the break out year, thrusting him into superstardom. he attributed his current success to the veteran leadership and mentorship of ward, noting how none of the other 3rd year wr's have that and cited how important it was to his own shortened career. he then intimated that there is much more to just running fast and catching the ball.

but i guess we all should just ignore someone who has actually been there and done that, because some internet jockey on SF (who most likely couldnt even label a route tree) says theyre wrong.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #76
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Quote:
sterling sharpe echoed as much tonight on total access when he said mike wallace was the 3rd year receiver most likely to have the break out year, thrusting him into superstardom. he attributed his current success to the veteran leadership and mentorship of ward, noting how none of the other 3rd year wr's have that and cited how important it was to his own shortened career. he then intimated that there is much more to just running fast and catching the ball.

but i guess we all should just ignore someone who has actually been there and done that, because some internet jockey on SF (who most likely couldnt even label a route tree) says theyre wrong.
For Hines it was Courtney Hawkins. Hawk was a Steeler for Ward's first three seasons and while he may not have been an all-pro WR, he was a consumate professional and crucial to Hines' development coming into the NFL. Maybe Hines would have gone on to have the HOF career that we've witnessed anyway, maybe not but it sure didn't hurt. In looking up Hawkins' to make sure I had the years correct, I found out that he is now Head Football Coach and Athletic Director at the high school he attended in Flint MI. Good for Hawk.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #77
tony hipchest

Quote:
For Hines it was Courtney Hawkins. Hawk was a Steeler for Ward's first three seasons and while he may not have been an all-pro WR, he was a consumate professional and crucial to Hines' development coming into the NFL. Maybe Hines would have gone on to have the HOF career that we've witnessed anyway, maybe not but it sure didn't hurt. In looking up Hawkins' to make sure I had the years correct, I found out that he is now Head Football Coach and Athletic Director at the high school he attended in Flint MI. Good for Hawk.
hawkins never really was a fan favorite cause he only put up average numbers at best but i remember the coaches always liking him. the fans just seemed too eager to push him out the door so players like plex, edwards, and hines could get more reps. i would say troy and plex really never got the message.

im willing to bet players such as moss and TO would be complete trainwrecks whose careers had derailed much earlier than their current HOF status had it not been for the aged veteran tutelage of rice and carter.

there are dozens of instances around the NFL. take the packers who always seem to have damn good receivers. from sharpe to freeman to driver, to the current group led by jennings. the only one who never really got with the program was javon walker and look where he is now. wasted talent.

hell, the eagles even went out and grabbed freeman for nothing more than to serva as a mentor to freddie mitchell (whos mediocre talent could unfortunately never match his drive).

on the flipside is teams like jacksonville, ravens, and vikings who really cant do shit to develop high draft pick talents. jax was screwed since mccardell left. the ravens havent had anyone since ismael. the vikings had to trade moss because he became practically useless.

carolinas steve smith has always seemed like a headcase waiting to happen. he probably owes his entire career to mushin muhammed.

its no suprise teams like the raiders and 49ers have struggled with phenoms such as heyward bey and crabbtree.

the only ones who seem immune is the ones named johnson. calvin, anrdae, and chad, seemed to do ok so far, but its plenty obvious chad coulda possibly been even better if he had his head screwed on straight.

the other 2 are freaks of nature and as close to a cant miss as we have seen in the past 20 years.

but the entire NFL is wrong and our very own keyboard stroke artists know it all.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #78
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Hawkins was only in Pittsburgh for the last 3 years (maybe 4) of his career. I remember some fans thought he was keeping Edwards off the field. Sound familiar..

He was released in 2000 but resigned because we drafted Burress and had no experience at the position. He was set to retire but came back to help out and provide some leadership. That's the year I remember Hines commenting on their relationship and how valuable it was to him. I recall a conversation I had with my brother that season, we discussed Hawk's future as a coach. Of course, we thought he'd coach in the NFL, but knowing he's mentoring high school kids is even better.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #79
tony hipchest

Quote:
Hawkins was only in Pittsburgh for the last 3 years (maybe 4) of his career. I remember some fans thought he was keeping Edwards off the field. Sound familiar..

He was released in 2000 but resigned because we drafted Burress and had no experience at the position. He was set to retire but came back to help out and provide some leadership. That's the year I remember Hines commenting on their relationship and how valuable it was to him. I recall a conversation I had with my brother that season, we discussed Hawk's future as a coach. Of course, we thought he'd coach in the NFL, but knowing he's mentoring high school kids is even better.
remember in 95 we had a pretty damn good group of 5 receivers led by mills and thigpen, but it was that no-name newb who ran the wrong route and essentially cost a SB win with odonnels 2nd int?

hines ward would never run the wrong route, and we always play in superbowls (3 of the past 6- but dont say that around here... it is seen as a negative by some).
Old 09-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #80
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Quote:
remember in 95 we had a pretty damn good group of 5 receivers led by mills and thigpen, but it was that no-name newb who ran the wrong route and essentially cost a SB win with odonnels 2nd int?

hines ward would never run the wrong route, and we always play in superbowls (3 of the past 6- but dont say that around here... it is seen as a negative by some).
I remember all too well. Corey Holiday was his name. Rookie out of UNC, hard to blame him entirely, Gailey called the play b/c Earhardt was basically fired at halftime, and Neil chose the timing pattern to the guy who hadn't caught a pass since preseason. Such is life. How different things might have been had any one of those things not happened.

That was a superb group of WRs though. Thigpen, Johnson, Mills, and Hastings with young Kordell in the mix as well. Great season, great memories.